How to choose the best vacuum cleaner for your home
If our parents grew up with broom and mop, our generation finds it harder to imagine a house without a vacuum cleaner. The vacuum cleaner has become an indispensable home product in every household. Due to the rapid pace in which we are accustomed to living, we need objects to make our work faster and more efficient, and this also applies to cleanliness. This is why the vacuum cleaner has become so popular. But how can you choose the best home vacuum cleaner?
Table of Contents
- 1 How to choose the best vacuum cleaner for your home?
- 1.1 Types of vacuum cleaner
- 1.2 The importance of brush and nozzles
- 1.3 Engine performance and resistance
- 1.4 Resistance and length of cable
- 1.5 Vacuum cleaner wheels
- 1.6 The noise emitted
- 1.7 Filter
- 1.8 Maintenance instructions
- 2 Recommended vacuum cleaner models
How to choose the best vacuum cleaner for your home?
Due to the technological development and the better understanding of the needs of the people, we find today a wide range of vacuum cleaners on the market. While some are more practical for use in the industrial system, most of them are designed specifically for home. However, it can be quite difficult to choose the right vacuum cleaner for your home.
This is because there are several types of vacuum cleaners with specific functions for specific types of surfaces, or with different operating principles. How do you know which vacuum cleaner is best for your home? What functions and accessories should a vacuum cleaner have? What does a high performance vacuum cleaner mean and how can you choose the best?
In order to make the best decision, we advise you to consult a shopping guide like this one. This way you can choose the ideal vacuum cleaner for your home. This will minimize the risk of an erroneous investment. Buying a vacuum cleaner is an investment because a good vacuum cleaner must be able to serve you for years, keeping their intact performance. In your choice, take into account the following important issues.
Types of vacuum cleaner
Depending on how dust and impurities are collected, we can distinguish several categories of vacuum cleaners. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each type of vacuum cleaner, and which is best for home?
Vacuum cleaner with bag
Also called the classic vacuum cleaner, this is the “veteran” of vacuum cleaners, being the oldest vacuum cleaner model. The principle of operation is quite simple. Dust is collected in a medium-sized bag of textile or paper. If the bag is made of textile, it can be reused after cleaning. The paper bag, however, is disposable, once it is full, it can no longer be reused. This type of vacuum cleaner has also gained its popularity thanks to its affordable price. If you have a limited budget, such a vacuum cleaner is one of the best options.
You should, however, keep in mind that the vacuum cleaner is manufactured by a recognized brand for quality, and the rest of the specifications to indicate a high performance vacuum cleaner. Also, make sure that the bags, regardless of the fabric they are made of, do not have manufacturing defects, such as cracks, because the dust will spill into the tube and will not be collected properly.
Bagless vacuum cleaner
The vacuum cleaner without bag wanted to be an improvement on the vacuum cleaner with bag. This is why it is gaining more and more popularity among buyers. That’s because it eliminates the need for additional costs that the vacuum cleaner with bag involves (the continuous purchase of new bags), offering a more practical alternative. They use a specially designed plastic container to collect dust and make it easy to clean and put back in place.
Some models come with the dust compression function so that the risk of scattering once it is emptied is eliminated. It is good to keep in mind, however, that this collecting vat often has less collection capacity than a regular bag. This means you will need to empty the collection container more often. Also, to extend the life of the vacuum cleaner, it is best to empty the vat before reaching the collection limit so as not to overload the vacuum cleaner motor.
Vertical vacuum cleaner
A vacuum cleaner designed for people with mobility and back problems. This model lowers the use of the vacuum cleaner and is ideal for small spaces. Although, in general, the performance is similar to the previously analyzed models, the dust collector is smaller, which means it will need to be cleaned more often. Also called the stick vacuum cleaner, it is more expensive than traditional vacuum cleaners.
Vacuum cleaner with water filter
By far the most convenient for hygiene and efficiency, the water filter vacuum cleaner works on the basis of a recently implemented principle. Dust is collected in a container of water. Thanks to the rotating force, the dust is merged with water, so the dust particles will no longer be scattered in the air.
Although they are a bit more expensive, they are the ideal solution, especially for large homes. As disadvantages, we recall the larger size and weight, which make it more difficult to use.
Washing vacuum cleaner
It works on a principle similar to that of a water filter vacuum cleaner. The difference is that the vacuum cleaner with washer incorporates, in addition to the collection container, a detergent compartment that allows for dust collection and surface washing at the same time.
It is an advantage especially if you live with small children or pets that will quickly dirty the carpet or other surfaces (parquet, sandstone, marble, etc.). Regardless of the nature of the sucked surface, this vacuum cleaner is capable of cleaning anything without too much headaches. Like the one above, however, it is also more bulky and with a higher weight.
Other types of vacuum cleaners
At the moment on the market, various types of vacuum cleaners with more specific use and with a more limited range of action are marketed. Here we mention the hand-held vacuum cleaners used for the collection of crumbs or scabs on the clothes. Other vacuum cleaners such as the mini-vacuum cleaner for cars,the vacuum cleaner for windows or ash, are designed to serve a particular specific sector of activity.
The importance of brush and nozzles
Often ignored when buying a vacuum cleaner, they play a role as high as engine performance and we need to pay extra attention if we want to choose the best vacuum cleaner for home. Since these are parts that come into direct contact with the sucked surface, it is advisable to be free from defects, as the quality of the cleaning will depend largely on them.
A good vacuum cleaner will come equipped with several types of brushes and nozzles, useful for sucking surfaces with different textures, or areas harder to reach.
There are many types of nozzles and brushes that you need to look after:
- Nozzle for hard floor. Ideal and recommended for quick and efficient aspiration. It works best when used on hard surfaces such as parquet or sandstone. Can also be used on soft surfaces, but cleaning will not be of sufficient quality.
- Nozzle for narrow surfaces. Necessary for those hard-to-reach spaces in the house. These can be varied, but as an idea we recall the space between the door and the wall, behind the radiator, the space under the sofa cushions, etc. In all these situations, the nozzle for narrow surfacse proves to be very useful.
- Turbo nozzle. Designed specifically to enhance the power and speed of absorption, it is the ideal accessory for more difficult surfaces such as rugs or carpets where dust and impurities are strongly impregnated.
- Engine nozzle. With an absorption power similar to that of the turbo nozzle, the engine nozzle obviously has a motor that makes absorption more precise and faster.
- Nozzles or brushes for upholstery. Although fewer vacuum cleaners include this type of nozzle or brush, it is designed for home furniture.
Engine performance and resistance
This is the way customers are most often misled. Most customers believe that in order to figure out the performance and power of the engine, they have to follow the Watt power index. It is generally between 1600 W and 2000 W. However, this index does not express the actual engine power but rather an indication of electricity consumption.
To find out what the power of the engine is in reality, you need to track the value near the power of expression. Also expressed in watts, this value is significantly lower. In the case of a very good vacuum cleaner, this value will be between 350-450 W. If we are talking about an average vacuum cleaner, the value will be between 200-300 W.
Resistance and length of cable
The power cable or wire should be long enough to allow for free movement with the vacuum cleaner on large surfaces so that it is not necessary to change the power plug too often. The best home vacuum cleaner will have a cable length of at least 6 meters.
Vacuum cleaner wheels
One aspect to be considered especially for the protection of the aspiration surface. As the vacuum cleaner will also have to be moved on hard surfaces, it is important that the wheels have a soft or rubberized finish, in order not to scratch or degrade in any way the different surfaces on the floor. Also, a vacuum cleaner with larger wheels will be easier to carry.
The noise emitted
Another important factor in choosing the best vacuum cleaner. Clearly, the best vacuum cleaner will be the one that will emit a quieter noise. You can figure out the noise power by reading the value expressed in decibels. Look for this to not exceed 60-70 dB. Anything that goes beyond this value, close to the volume of an ordinary conversation, comes to sound twice as strong.
Observe that the vacuum cleaner you purchase has a HEPA filter. It has the task of capturing any particle of dust, and the higher the number on the HEPA filter, the better it can capture dust particles. This is an important aspect to be pursued, both to avoid the spread of dust in the room and to protect family members who suffer from allergies.
Like any other home appliance, the vacuum cleaner has to be carefully maintained to extend its optimum service life as much as possible. The biggest changes will be made to filters that need to be replaced periodically. Manufacturers generally recommend replacing filters by one year or several months depending on the type of vacuum cleaner. These recommendations are often exaggerated. It is best to periodically check the filters and change them when you notice that they are no longer performing well.
Recommended vacuum cleaner models
Below you will find a selection of vacuum cleaner models suited for home that offer an excellent price/quality ratio.
- Pet hairs and odours are easy to tackle with a Turbobrush and Active AirClean filter
- By using the EcoTeQ floorhead this vacuum cleaner gives you the performance of a 2000 W model using only 1200 W
- Convenient controls enable power to be adjusted easily across different surfaces
- SRD 10 hardfloor brush, delivering an A rated cleaning performance on hard floors
- Carry handle - ergonomically formed carry handle ensures easy transportation
- Storage - space-saving on-board accessory and cable storage
- Long handle for a improved working posture. Suction hose 1.9 m, 35 mm
- Special cartridge filter
- Practical accessory storage
- Lift-off canister for increased usage flexibility
- Cyclonic technology delivers constant powerful suction
- 60 minutes runtime with two LithiumLife extended runtime batteries
- Easily navigate around your home LED headlights
- 6 years manufacturer guarantee
- Rechargeable cleaning robot sweeps and vacuums the floors whilst you relax ; Intelligent navigation system and stair sensors.
- Simple to use, just switch the power on, press a cleaning program button and off it goes.
- Suitable for all hard floor types and short pile carpet ; Floor types-Carpet (short pile),Hard floor,Laminate,Tile,Vinyl
- Charge time 5 hours;Relax Robot Vacuum Cleaner has a noise level of just 63 dBThree step cleaning system leaves floors free of dust particles and hair
- Vacuum power and brushes for sucking and sweeping up dirt and dust; Up to 80 minutes running time on a single charge
- High Power Motor
- Weighs only 4.3Kg
- 4 Stage HEPA filtration System
- Large 2L dust bin capacity
- 1 Year VYTRONIX Guarantee