Table of Contents
- 1 How do you choose the best video projector?
- 2 Top 3 Recommended Best Home Video Projectors
- 3 Recommended Video projectors
How do you choose the best video projector in 2024? What properties and features should the best video projector have to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
How do you choose the best video projector?
There are a number of questions that you have to ask yourself and depending on your answers and some technical specifications, you will choose the video projector that suits you.
Think first about what activities you want to accomplish. Do you use the projector as TV, HDTV, for various office presentations, PC monitors or console, didactic use? Depending on the tasks the video projector is going to accomplish, we will choose a device that will give you the ultimate visual experience!
For example, if you use the projector to play movies as the main activity, contrast is the most important part. In a home cinema system, the room will normally be darker, so emphasizing colours with high-quality contrast will give you an experience close to the cinema halls.
Instead, for a presentation in the office or in a classroom, where the room will be bright enough, it is important that the video projector has as many lumens as possible to compensate for the presence of light in the room.
Top 3 Recommended Best Home Video Projectors
The lumens value of a video projector
Lumens refer to the power of light as perceived by the human eye. Another unit of measure of this would be foot-Lambert (fL). The difference between ANSI lumen and foot-Lambert is that the second measurement system also takes into account the light projected from the projection screen back to those who look.
Foot-Lambert is a unit of measurement that you will find very rarely in any way in projector specifications, most manufacturers prefer to measure the power of light in ANSI lumen.
For buyers who purchase a projector strictly for home use, the number of lumens may be misleading. If you want to create a home cinema system, the number of lumens is not meant to be very high, the camera is already dark, the highlights can cause eye or headaches, even if initially a very “colorful” picture looks better than one With the “deleted” colors. A 2000 or 2500 lumens would be ideal for a home-projector in a dark space designed to project movies, matches, etc.
Instead, if you’re planning to use the projector in daylight without darkening the viewing room, consider buying a slightly larger number of lumens, around 3500-4000, keeping the screen width about 2 meters.
At a greater width, for daytime projection in halls and large projection screens, such as office presentations or university / school presentations, the number of lumens should exceed 5000.
Office or course halls are generally very large, with many Light sources and large windows so that a great deal of light is needed to compensate for these. A 5000-Lumen power projector also has a higher price, so you can choose a more affordable, somewhat weaker (regarding number of lumens) model, provided you can remove some the light sources during the presentation.
The contrast of the image
The contrast is given by the difference between the lightest color on the screen and the darkest color. Contrast can be static or native and dynamic.
You need to know that a dynamic contrast, even if impressive as the figure, can alter image quality in many situations, so it would not be surprising to see this feature disabled to those who have shutters or TVs with such equipment. My personal choice is static contrast.
Contrast of video projectors generally ranges between 2000/1 and 4000/1, all that is above these figures will also have an affordable price. Keep in mind, however, that a 4000/1 contrast will not be perceived by the human eye as twice as good as 2000/1, the human eye will only perceive it as a little better, A high constrast is useless.
The darker the room, the more contrast changes will be more obvious and easy to notice. So if you have a cinema home where you can create total darkness, buying a high-contrast projector can make sense, otherwise not!
The image aspect ratio
As for image appearance, the most common values are 4: 3, 16: 9 and 21: 9 aspect ratios. 4: 3 and 16: 9 are very popular values for aspect ratio and you will meet them in the technical specifications of many models of video projectors while 21: 9 is a rare aspect of the image.
Let me explain how the image is influenced. If the chosen projector has a native 16: 9 aspect ratio and the source outputs 4: 3 images, the images will be projected with a black bar on each image side, while a 4:e aspect ratio video projector that receives a 16: 9 format broadcast will display the images with a black bar at the bottom and top of the image.
My personal advice is to opt for a 16: 9 aspect ratio, this being the standard HD transmission format for which the TVs are opting, the Blu-Ray, 4K, as well as the game consoles.
Video projector image resolution
Typically, projectors have a native resolution and resolutions supported. The resolutions can be 1024 × 720, 1280 × 720, 1920 × 1080 or 3840 × 2160, representing the number of pixels to be displayed horizontally and vertically. The higher the number of pixels, the higher the image quality, the higher the native resolution, the better.
It still depends on what kind of content you plan to project. For movies or games, the resolution of 720 or 1080 pixels FullHD or 3840 × 2160 pixels UHD 4K is ideal, but if you plan to use the video projector to replace the monitor of a widescreen laptop, then 1280 x 768 is the ideal native resolution. This will allow running XGA and WXGA resolutions without losing any of the quality.
Throw ratio refers to the ratio of the distance from the projector lens to the projection screen and the width of the projected images. Throw ratio will tell you where to place the video projector to get the desired image size.
The throw ratio given by the manufacturer can be ignored to get images of other sizes, but they will have poor quality. So, make a pre-acquisition calculation so you do not have the surprise that the video projector can not be placed in such a way as to project the perfect image.
Correction of the trapeze
When the projector is not positioned exactly at the centre of the projection screen, because the image is projected from an angle, the trapezoid effect will appear, where part of the image is narrower and somewhat wider than normal.
Video projectors have settings to correct this trapeze effect. The trapezoidal correction function can be manual or automatic. In general, image correction is only vertical, but you can also find devices that offer the option to correct the horizontal trapezoid.
Keep in mind that such a trapezoidal correction, whether vertical or horizontal, alters image quality, for the most demanding can be visible, for others not.
The lens shift function that moves the projection lens is an alternative to trapezoid correction, the preferred alternative because it does not alter the image or its quality at all. As with the trapezoid correction, there is a horizontal or vertical version where the lens moves until the image is perfect. The lens travel function can be manual or automated.
Keep in mind that the endowment with such a function will be reflected in the price of the device, so if the budget is a small one, thank the trapeze correction, if the budget allows you, lens shift is good not to miss the equipment of a video projector.
Video projector lamp
The lamp of a video projector is the most expensive consumable, and the one you will change most often. Manufacturers generally indicate lamps have a lifetime of several thousand hours. After that number of hours, the brightness of the lamp decreases by half.
It is good to keep in mind, however, before the lamp model integrates each model and what is its price, thus calculating the maintenance costs.
Many models benefit from an Eco function that increases the life of the lamp.
About the zoom we all know, but when it comes to the zoom function of an image designer, the function does not prove to be useful too often from my point of view. Most of the video projectors on the market have such a function that you are unlikely to use if the projector is mounted at the correct distance.
The price of a video projector
The price and maintenance costs of a video projector depend, of course, on the features and characteristics that it will have. When you decide to make such a purchase, do a little online research, most of the stores have all sorts of filters that you can set based on budget and preference, so you have a list of several models of projectors Meet your criteria.
Consider also any accessories that need to be purchased with the projector, accessories such as the screen or a projector attachment system. If some years ago the price of a video projector might seem exorbitant for an average man, today you can find video projectors with good features at more than decent prices, under 500 pounds.
Tips and Conclusions
The place where the video projector is to be mounted plays an important role. So you can figure out the extra features you want. You may need zooming, trapezoidal correction or lens shift, analyse this aspect before purchasing. Think about what size you want your projected image to be, where you want to mount the video projector, the projection screen, and see if you have the space needed for the projector to work in optimum conditions without using its extra features.
For an enjoyable experience I recommend buying a quality screen so you do not have to worry about it, preferably gray. Whatever functions or specifications you choose for the purchased video projector, it is important that they fit your needs exactly. Make an intelligent purchase!
Recommended Video projectors
Combining the above functions and choosing intelligently we can recommend some models of video projectors that offer an excellent quality / price ratio.
- 💖【Upgraded Viewing Experience & High Brightness】 The XuanPad upgrade projector adopts advanced LED light source and LCD display technology, providing 200ANSI high brightness and supporting high-definition image quality of Full HD 1080p for an excellent visual experience. The latest NTSC color technology and advanced image edge processing algorithm accurately restore every detail on the screen, bringing wonderful visual enjoyment.
- 💖【Immersive Projection Size & Long Lamp Life】 The XuanPad projector has a projection size of 30 to 200 inches and a projection distance of 1m to 5m. With an extra-large projection size of 200 inches, you can enjoy a immersive viewing experience and share great moments of movies, games, and sports events with family and friends. The powerful heat dissipation system effectively extends the lamp's life to 55,000 hours, and allows you to enjoy entertainment for a longer time.
- 💖【 Noise Reducing & Zoom function】 Advanced noise-reduction technology reduces fan noise by 80%, ensuring crystal-clear sound quality from the built-in dual stereo speakers. With T-shaped correction and 50% zoom function, you can adjust the screen size from 50% to 100%, ensuring perfect image projection and the best viewing effect. Note: When you reduce the screen size, the video screen size also decreases, but the main screen and settings screen size remain unchanged.
- 【Full HD 1080P Supported】 The updated mini projector supports full HD 1080P. High-definition images and superb color brightness are provided by the 12000 Lumens and 10000:1 contrast ratio, giving you the greatest video experience. The mini projector will work best in a dark environment.
- 【Portable Mobile Home Cinema】The movie projector provides a minimal display area of 33” to a maximum of 200” image with projection distances between 1.5-6m. Aspect Ratio: 4:3/16:9, Contrast Ratio: 10000:1, Lamp lifetime: 65,000 hours. It enables excellent playback of movies, TV shows, and video games and can be set up conveniently.
- 【Built-in Speakers】The mini projector supports the projection screen size of 33-200 in, and the best projection distance is 3.6ft to 19.7ft. The projection screen can be reduced to 75% by adjusting the screen without moving the mini projector. Equipped with a state-of-the-art built-in speaker system, the mini projector is perfect for entertainment needs at home, theater kids' parties, playtime, and more!
- ✔️【𝐖𝐈𝐑𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐒𝐔𝐏𝐏𝐎𝐑𝐓 𝐁𝐎𝐓𝐇 𝟐.𝟒𝐆 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝟓𝐆】 ClokoWe GC003 wifi projector is designed with the latest WIFI connection which is compatible with Android/iPhone/Windows 10. Only need 2 steps to achieve a Wi-Fi connection. Without the limitations of wire, convenient for you to enjoy free life anytime and anywhere.
- ✔️【𝐖𝐈𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍】 No WIFI environment? ClokoWe phone projector has been thought about it, no expensive adapter is needed, and you can connect the projector to your phone with an original cable line easily. Also compatible with Amazon Fire TV Stick, Roku, DVD Player, Laptops, MacBooks, tablets, PS3/PS4/PS5/Wii consoles, 2.0 External speakers, etc.
- ✔️【𝐔𝐋𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄 𝐕𝐈𝐒𝐔𝐀𝐋 𝐄𝐗𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄】 Excellent performance of the mini HD movie projector based on the powerful parameters: Native 1080P HD input and 24-bit true-color support, and a 230" screen. Brilliant big-screen visual experience accessible.
- 🎥【Native 1080P, 12000L & 300 ANSI Lumens, 4K supported】 2023 upgraded P2P Connectivity WiFi projector features the native resolution of 1920x1080, supports 4K Ultra HD video, 12000lux 300ANSI high brightness, 12000:1 high contrast ratio, brightness are increased by more than 50% than other 1080P projectors in the market. Provided up to 15 million color ranges and adopted unique color reproduction technology, our video projector ensures clear and colorful images even on screen corners.
- 🔊【Advanced P2P Direct Mirroring】The Giaomar C12 projector features the latest P2P Direct Mirroring technology which will sync wirelessly in seconds for a large screen without the need for connecting to a WiFi. Thanks to the user-friendly updates, it’s never been easier to explore more quality happy times with your family and friends.
- 📱【Latest 5G/2.4G Dual Band WiFi & Bluetooth 5.1】 Say goodbye to any delays. The Giaomar WiFi projector provides the newest 2.4G+5G dual-band WiFi connectivity, ensuring you smoother and lag-free online video streaming and gaming online experience. Built-in Hi-Fi stereo sound speakers and bidirectional Bluetooth 5.1 chip, this projector enables to connect to the external speakers/headphones or work as a Bluetooth speaker, provide you with an immersive sound quality experience.
- 🔔【Auto Screen Focus+Auto Keystone Correction 】WiMiUS P62 is the newest auto-focus LCD projector. Advanced SLR focusing tech and AI camera make the smart projector autofocus and keystone clearly within a Very short period of time. free from troublesome manual focus and cut the setup process in half. The auto-shift sensors detect real-time movements and adjust focus to keep images stable and clear, also perfect for ceiling mounted! (±20° degree horizontal and vertical)
- 🔔【Native 1080P+20000 Lumen(600ANSI)+21000:1 Contrast Ratio】Features a powerful Full HD 1080P resolution with 600ANSI. P62 projector delivers incredible detail on your massive 450" screen. Also supports 4K video. A new lamp based on the latest R&D provides 80% more brightness than other portable projectors. The superior 21000:1 contrast ratio and 8-bit colour depth algorithms maximise colour detail. The P62 uses a low-consumption LED lamp. This extends the lamp's life to 100,000 hours.
- 🔔【WiFi 6+Bi-Bluetooth 5.2】P62 Bluetooth projector with WiFi 6, has a strong anti-interference function to ensure fast & stable transmission while reducing the delay time by 60% compared to other LCD projectors. The mobile projector can be used as a standalone Bluetooth speaker and connect to external audio with the latest Bluetooth 5.2 technology. For a cinema-like experience, the built-in 12W stereo speakers deliver clear treble and bass.
- Get up and running quickly with this hassle-free model that’s designed for easy installation
- Featuring 3LCD technology and 3,500 lumens of brightness, movies will be as the director intended with a bright and clear display
- 843centimeter big screen experience
- [2024 Upgraded HD Video Projector]: VOPLLS upgraded video projector with latest 13000L led light source and 1080P Full HD supported resolution, adopts advanced LED technology and latest NTSC color technology, which make the edges of the projection brighter and clearer than other projector. VOPLLS video projector presents a vivid, real, and color-vibrant effect.
- [Mini & Portable Projector]: VOPLLS mini projector has a unique and compact design with size of 6.69x4.9x2.64 inches and weight of 1.4lb. This portable projector can be put in your handbag for traveling and camping wherever you are. VOPLLS mini projector is extremely delicate but can pack a surprising amount of visual punch.
- [Hi-fi Stereo Sound & Noise Reduction]: Built-in Hi-Fi stereo speakers, VOPLLS movie projector provides original audio fidelity with crystal clear sound quality. Also featured with audio output port to connect headsets or speakers as you please to enhance your viewing and sound experience. Using the state-of-the-art noise reduction technology, the fan noise of VOPLLS movie projector is reduced by 80%, and the heat dissipation is more effective.
- ★【Smallest & On-the-Go Entertainment】Experience a portable cinema with the VISSPL mini projector. Measuring a mere 6.1*5.08*2.4 inches, equivalent to the size of two Coke cans, it effortlessly fits in your pocket or bag. Weighing only 1.1 lb, even child's tiny fingers can effortlessly grasp the smallest projector. Its sleek and sophisticated design makes it an excellent gift choice for all ages, ensuring a delightful and memorable entertainment experience wherever you go.
- ★【Full HD 1080P &Eye Protection】The VISSPL 2023 projector supports Full HD 1080P resolution for stunning visuals, ensuring vibrant colors and HD images. Advanced LED eye protection technology to minimize the impact of blue and direct light. Your eyes will stay refreshed and free from additional fatigue. Perfect for safeguarding children's eye health! For optimal performance, we recommend using video projector in a dark environment to fully enjoy its capabilities.
- ★【Mini Tripod & Powerful Sound】VISSPL movie projector supports a screen size of 35-160’’, perfect for creating a cinematic atmosphere. ±15°Keystone correction and included projector tripod offers the freedom to position your projector at the ideal height, eliminating the need to adjust to screen or table limitations. With its built-in HiFi speaker to enjoy powerful and dynamic audio that enhances your entertainment experience whether it's at home, or during kids' parties.
Last update on 2024-02-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API