How to Choose the Best Paper Shredder for Your Office
How do you choose the best paper shredder? What features and functions should the best paper shredder have to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
The best paper shredder makes it easy for you to work with paper waste at your desk and at home. In addition, it provides you with a way to protect sensitive and secret information from being accessed by anyone who should not. Destruction of documents not only protects the company’s confidential information, but can also prevent identity theft.
Although the purpose of each paper shredder is the same, the efficiency varies depending on features and functionality.
There are simple models that are suitable for home use and more advanced models suitable for office use in companies and public institutions.
Table of Contents
The Best Paper Shredder: What to Look for
There are several types of office paper shredders available on the market that you can choose from. The simplest offers vertical slitting of the paper while the more advanced models offer technologies and functions that go further than simply cutting paper sheets.
The Type of Cut
There are three types of cuts that you can find in a document destroyer: cross cut, stripe cut or micro cut.
Cross cut paper shredders cut the paper in two directions diagonally. Stripe cut shreds the documents into narrow vertical bands, while the micro cut destroys the paper into tiny pieces.
Micro and cross cuts offer more security, making it almost impossible to reconstitute documents by gluing the strips together after destruction. This is important when protecting confidential information or preventing identity theft, especially when destroying documents containing personal or sensitive information.
There is a classification of the level of security offered by the best paper shredders and it varies between Class 1 (lowest level) and Class 7 (for the most advanced document destroyer).
When operating a device that uses sharp blades, safety in operation is an extremely important factor. Document destroyers offer technologies and features that reduce the risk of operating damage.
An example is engine shutdown protection when touching the sensitive areas of the machine. Most offer slides for documents that are too narrow for an adult’s fingers, various types of shields for the cutting blades and locking systems to prevent accidental start-up by children or unauthorized persons.
The capacity of the best paper shredder relates to 2 aspects: the cutting capacity and the volume of the collection basket.
Cutting capacity indicates how many sheets of paper can be inserted simultaneously into the shredder, while the volume of the collection basket indicates the amount of cuts that can be stored without emptying the collector basket.
Small document cutters are better suited for domestic consumption than for a company.
If you need to destroy hundreds or thousands of sheets of paper every day, it’s a good idea to choose an efficient document destroyer that’s designed to take up the volume you need, saving you time and preventing overheating.
Although the main function of the best paper shredder is to shred sheets of paper, many models offer additional features and can shred multiple types of materials.
These models can cut CDs or DVDs, credit cards, office paper clips, staples and even unwrapped envelopes. If you are looking for a complete paper shredder, be careful to choose a model that can handle more than just shredding some sheets of paper.
Before choosing the best paper shredder for home or office, carefully evaluate the models available on the market. Compare their features and functions by looking at the models that give you what you need.
Recommended Paper Shredders
We have selected for you below some paper shredder models that offer excellent quality/price ratio. If our recommendations are not in line with your individual needs, we recommend carefully studying other paper shredder models from the online stores recommended and buy the most appropriate device.
- Cross-cut paper shredder with 6-sheet capacity; destroys credit cards (one at a time)
- Shreds paper into strips measuring 0.56 by 4.68 cm
- 2 minute continuous run time with 30 minute cool down time; Auto start and manual reverse to clear paper jams
- The Fellowes 6C cross-cut paper shredder can shred 6 A4 sheets per pass into 4 x 35 mm particles (DIN P-4) for secure shredding
- When switched to lock position, the patented Safety Lock prevents your Fellowes 6C home paper shredder from accidentally being activated- ideal security for the home environment
- The 6C personal paper shredder is also tough enough to cut through credit cards, paper clips and staples, whilst ensuring confidential documents are shredded into unreadable pieces
- Cross-cut paper shredder with 8-sheet capacity; destroys credit cards (one at a time)
- Shreds paper into strips measuring 0.48 cm x 4.68 cm, meeting security level P3 standards
- 3 minute continuous run time with 30 minute cool down cycle with overheat LED indicator
- Safety-cut out on bin removal
- For individual use
- Shreds continuously for up to 5 minutes
- Strip-cut paper shredder with 8-sheet capacity; destroys credit cards, CDs, and DVDs (one at a time)
- Shreds paper into 0.65-cm strips at a rate of 3 meters per minute; Overload/Overheat protection
- 2 minute continuous run time with 15 minute cool down time; Auto start and manual reverse to clear paper jams
- Cross-cut paper shredder with 12-sheet capacity; destroys credit cards, CDs, and DVDs (one at a time)
- Shreds paper into cross section strips measuring 0.56 by 4.68 cm
- 5 minute continuous run time with 30 minute cool down time; Auto start and manual reverse to clear paper jams
Last update on 2019-10-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API