How to Choose the Best Drinking Water Filtration System
How do you choose the best drinking water filtering system? What features and functions must an ideal water filter offer for a perfect quality/price ratio? Read our article and make an informed choice.
Table of Contents
Why Use a Water Filtration System?
Generally, drinking water supplied to the tap by the public system must meet strict conditions to be safe for consumption.
However, this does not mean that tap water contains no contaminants. Tap water can contain impurities that can not only affect your health, but also change the taste, colour and smell of drinking water.
Drinking water filtration systems, such as water filters under the sink, considerably reduce the amount of water impurities in the tap. These water filtration systems are mounted directly to your drinking water network (under the sink or as stand alone).
Although these systems will probably not reduce 100% of drinking water impurities, they will reduce a considerable number and provide you with a superior, tasty, healthier quality water.
Most water filtration systems will use several stages of filtration. Each stage uses a specialized filter that retains certain particles or germs present in the tap water. Some filtration systems can retain up to 50 types of contaminants, while some simpler just a few.
A major advantage is that most drinking water filtration systems do not require the help of an plumber.
Usually they can be installed in just a few minutes by the buyer. However, some tap water systems can be bulky and can take up much space in the cabinet under the sink.
Best Drinking Water Filtration Systems: What to Look for
The best tap water filtration system has to eliminate as many contaminants as possible, to have as much lifetime as possible and not to occupy a lot of space where it is installed.
In addition, make sure that the chosen filtering system comes with a bigger warranty. Below we offer some criteria that will help you properly evaluate such a product.
Number of Filtered Substances
Clearly, you want a drinking water filtration system to eliminate as many unhealthy contaminants as possible and to improve the taste, colour and smell of the water.
The best tap filters will retain over 10 contaminants. The best filters provide a performance sheet indicating the results of the filter tests for each stage.
These sheets indicate the specific contaminants that are filtered and the amount that the filter reduces.
Drinking water filters reduce unwanted particles in water in a few steps. Find a filter system that offers at least 3 filtration steps to reduce pollutants in water. Each stage of filtration eliminates a certain type of particle such as unsolvable sediments, chemicals, and residues.
In addition, some filters can affect water pressure. Choose a system that offers operating pressure between 3 and 7 bar maximum. If you use a system that unnecessarily increases water pressure, it can damage your installations, destroy pipes and cause leakage.
In addition to the above, another important aspect is the period of effective filter change. These can become extremely costly if they do not have a longer life span.
Generally, a battery of filters should not require replacement earlier than 6 months under normal water usage conditions. If you use filtered water much more frequently, the change term will be shorter depending on the volume of filtered water used.
The best drinking water filtration systems have a warning system through a beep or light that will alert you when it is necessary to replace the filter.
You will not want a water filtration system that is heavy and bulky and will take up all the space under the sink or on the counter.
Before purchasing the desired filtering system, make sure that it easily fits under your sink. In addition, most filter systems do not require a professional plumber to mount, but you can plug them yourself.
Make sure your chosen system includes mounting kits and filter systems that are easy to replace. For most appliances, filters should be able to change through a simple rotation motion.
Service and Warranty
Most water filtration systems offer 1 year warranty from the time of purchase. Better systems offer even 2 years. Our advice is to choose the product with higher warranty because it is an indicator of superior quality.
In addition, if you have problems with the product or have various difficulties in operating it, it helps greatly that the assistance offered by the manufacturer or merchant is always handy and help you in time to solve the malfunctions.
Choose a system produced by a reputable company with multiple presence in your area as close as possible.
Choosing a drinking water filtration system is an easy and effective step to get a healthy water that gives you a good taste, smell and colour. Such a filtering system may be one of those small things that has a major impact on your long-term health.
Recommended Drinkable Water Filtration Systems
We have selected for you, from the many products available on the market, several tap water filtration systems that offer excellent performance at a convenient price.
- Removes up to 99 percent of contaminants including lead, fluoride, chlorine, arsenic, bacteria, virus, heavy metals etc...
- System is 100 percent lead free in all parts included - solid bpa free materials for anti-contamination
- 5-Stage Natural Alkaline Remineralization Enhances Water pH+ & Activated Oxygen Levels. Supplies Essential Electrolytes & Minerals such Ca, Mg, K, Na
- 1st Filter: Whole House Water Filtration - filters levels of compounds including chlorine and heavy metals, designed to reduce the taste & odour of the water. This filter also contains antibacterial filter media to help inhibit bacterial growth within the filter and to allow for long life filter changes. Replacement filter code: WFMSUPER10BB
- 2nd Filter: Scale Prevention (Chemical / Salt-free alternative to water softener) - Scale prevention filter media proven to be 99.6% effective, this will prevent future scale build-up and de-scale existing pipework and appliances. Replacement filter code: WFM-10BBSSWF
- Fittings: Supplied with 3/4" BSP threaded fittings attached, simply wall mount the system and connect in-line with your cold mains water pipe (installation recommended by a plumber)
- High Capacity Reverse Osmosis water filtration for safer, healthier water. This under sink mounted water filter and water softener removes up to 99% of over 1,000 contaminants, including lead (removes up to 98% of lead), chlorine, fluoride, arsenic, hormones, asbestos, calcium, sodium, bacteria, giardia, viruses and more.
- Premium quality components, certified "Gold" (highest ranking) by the Water Quality Association (WQA) against NSF/ANSI standard 58, to ensure high reliability and low maintenance for many years to come.
- Alkaline remineralization filter balances pH using naturally occurring calcite; Reintroduces ionized minerals including calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium
- Supreme quality - designed, engineered and assembled in USA to guarantee water safety & your health.
- The only technology to remove up to 99% of contaminants including arsenic, chlorine, lead, fluoride, heavy metals, bacteria, virus and 1000+ contaminants.
- Premium long-lasting filters used to treat tap water, well water. Provide unlimited clean, refreshing crisp tasting water superior to bottled water.
- Great tasting water, Doulton UltraCarb W9123006 & CleanSoft W9125010 remove Suspended Solids, Cloudiness, Parasites, Pathogenic Bacteria, Chlorine, Bad Taste, Lead & Reduce Limescale in drinking water
- 3/8" push-fit inlet & outlet suitable for 3/8" flexible plastic pipe. Doulton Installation Kit W2391085 is needed if you do not have existing connections (Search Amazon for ASIN: B01M109IDZ)
- Replacement Filters: Doulton 10 inch BSP CleanSoft Scale Reduction Water Filter Cartridge ¦ W9125010 and Doulton Ceramic UltraCarb 10 inch BSP Water Filter Cartridge Candle ¦ W9123006
- Finerfilters 3 Stage HMA Unit is suitable for heavy metal reduction of tap water. This unit comes complete with all filters and accessories and is ready to use straight out of the box
- Inside the box: 1 x 3 Stage HMA unit with all filters, 2 x 3/4" to Hozelock type adapter, 2 x 3/4" Brass Hex Nipple, 1 x Housing spanner for easy filter changes. Housing Dimensions: H 37cm x L 40cm x D 16cm
- Stage 1 - 5 micron sediment filter: Removes sediments, including sand, rust, silt and other sediments up to 5 microns
Last update on 2019-10-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API