How to Choose the Best Smart Plug for Your Home
How do you choose the best smart home outlet? Which functions and features must the best smart plug have to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Smart or “intelligent” devices appear to be more and more present, if not more necessary, in our lives. This is how humankind is heading in a safe direction: intelligent house or Smart Home.
Just as today we have a smart phone and we could not imagine life without it, in the not too distant future we will no longer imagine a home without the most “smart” facilities.
A seemingly small step towards obtaining a smart home is the purchase and installation of a smart plug or smart electrical outlet.
The many advantages that such an outlet offers will convince you of the need to purchase one. Read below to find out how you choose the best smart plug for your home.
Table of Contents
What Are the Advantages of a Smart Plug?
You probably wonder what makes it worth the term “smart”. Well, this plug does much more than allow you to connect to a power source.
It gives you the ability to control your devices connected to this outlet remotely via an internet connection and a special phone application. Besides, it also helps you to make important energy savings.
You could find such an outlet very practical in situations where it is necessary to start or stop the appliances from a distance. Suppose you do not remember whether or not you let the air conditioner running or the iron plugged in.
Or maybe you might want to start some appliances beforehand, for example the electric oven to be warmed up when you get home. You may have this level of control with the best intelligent plug.
You will also receive notifications on your phone about any electrical malfunction, and you can also check the level of power consumption for each device on your phone.
How Do You Choose the Best Smart Plug?
Being a product that is gaining more and more popularity every day, it is normal for many models with more or less special features to appear on the market.
Since the price of such a plug can sometimes reach even a few tens of pounds, you can not choose any model. That’s why it’s a good idea to be informed about this intelligent outlet before deciding to buy a particular model.
In order to help you in your choice, we have prepared a shopping guide in which we present what functions and features should the best intelligent plug have to deserve your money.
So, in your choice, take into account the following important issues:
For smartphone operation, the smart plug connects to the home Wi-Fi network through a Linux platform. This makes it possible for you to access and control it remotely, as long as the home internet is working and your controlled device is connected to the internet.
The aspect you need to be careful about is compatibility. You will not be able to use a smart plug if it’s not compatible with your device.
So, before buying, check the operating systems (IOS, Android, or Windows) with which the smart plug is compatible.
Which Features and Functions Should the Best Smart Plug Have?
Control from any mobile device – once the connection between the plug and the device is completed, you will have absolute control over its functionality, meaning you can turn it on or stop the power supply, and thus control the connected devices.
First check that the smart socket you want can withstand the electrical charge of the devices you want to connect.
Programming – the best smart plug also gives you the ability to program the start and stop time. This feature may be useful if you know you will not be able to connect your phone to the internet to control the outlet directly.
Reports – Better devices have the ability to deliver a report after each on or off turn to make sure the action you ordered on your device has been running successfully.
Overload alert – when you encounter such electricity problems, you will receive a notification on your phone.
Consumption measurement – a feature that lets you check the power consumption of each device in your home. All the data will be saved in an archive, and you will be able to figure out which device consumes the most energy.
You will basically be able to find out where your home consumption problems are and try to solve them now.
Safety for children – we know that children are very attracted to such objects. Especially if it is a new object in the house, if it lights up and if it is said that it is not allowed to walk to it, the child will feel very attracted to this outlet.
The best intelligent smart plug will, however, be safe enough not to endanger the safety of the child if it has access to it.
The warranty of a smart plug must be at least 2 years. A good supplier will provide you with this warranty period as well as the possibility to extend this period.
However, as technology is constantly evolving, over 2 years you are likely to want to replace your smart socket with a more advanced one that gives you more control options.
It’s normal to be interested in the company that produces the best smart socket. Even if we can not call it the best, we can give you some examples of companies that have built up a good reputation among users who have been pleased with the performance of their devices.
Depending on the number of functions that their sockets offer, but also the quality / price ratio, the most recommended brands are: TP-Link, D-Link, Edimax, Panasonic, or Fibaro.
Before buying a product, especially if you buy it online, we recommend that you consult the opinions of other buyers in order to have a fair view of the smart plug that you want to buy.
Recommended Smart Plugs
Taking into account the above criteria and recommendations, studying the current market offer and user reviews, we present you below some models of smart plugs that offer excellent quality/price ratio.
- Compatibility - Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant for Voice Control
- No Hub Required - Works with any Wi-Fi router without the need for a separate hub
- Remote Access -Control devices connected to the smart plug wherever you use the free Tapo app on your phone
- CONNECTION and SETTING -- After connecting 2.4Ghz WiFi successful, and connect a device to the Smart Plug, then start your smart life. No hub required.
- REMOTE and VOICE CONTROL -- Works with Alexa and Google home, the device can be controlled via APP on smart phone remotely , or by giving a voice command.
- SCHEDULE and TIMER -- The device will automatically turn on/ off according to the schedule you set, facilitate your life and saving extra power consumption.
- Remote & Voice Control - Remote control your electricals via mobilephone from anywhere and anytime. TECKIN plug is compatible with Alexa and Google Home, voice control makes life more interesting
- Schedule & Timer Function - Bring convenience and efficiency to your life. Create customized schedule/timer to your device, and they will trun on/off at a proper time, such as lamps, heating, coffee maker.
- Easy to Set up - Quick and easy installation saves you time. Scan QR code and download "Smart Life APP". Simply follow user manual for a few minutes and begin your smart life.
- Remote & Voice Control -- Our Smart plug allows you to control home electricity even you are not at home, just download the "Gosund" APP then you can easily to turn on/off the wifi smart plug with your smart phone. Do you have an Amazon echo or google home device? if yes, Congratulations! Simply manage your home appliances with the alexa plugs by voice control.
- Schedule & Timing Function -- Want to save time in your daily life? Maybe this alexa smart plug helps. Start toaster and coffee machine at a preset time to have a delicious breakfast after you get up without wasting too much time, or automatically turn on/off humidifier even if you are busy with work, Go home and enjoy a comfortable humidity experience.
- Energy Saving -- Monitor the current, voltage and energy consumption of your devices with the alexa plugs, provides real-time reports on energy consuming. Learn which devices consume the most energy to help you save money on your next electrical bill
- Remote&Voice Control -- Easily turn on/ off household appliances from anywhere with your smart phone via “Smart Life” App as long as there is a network. It is compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home Assistant. Simply control your home devices with smart plug by giving voice commands.
- Set Schedules & Timer -- Smart plugs will automatically turn on/off by setting schedules.Start your toaster of coffee maker before you get up, and enjoy your breakfast without wasting time. By setting schedules, you won’t forget to turn your devices off at night, so saving energy too.
- Updated&User-friendly Design -- The latest version base design perfectly fit into UK wall socket and won't interfere with the switch. In addition, smart plugs works with any Wi-Fi router without the need of a separate hub.
- Remote and Voice Control: Easily remote control your home appliance via ‘‘Smart Life'' App. Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Home, you can turn on/off your device by speaking to a third party voice device. Ideally for the ones who needs easy access to control a device.
- Timer and Schedule: Create customized schedule/timer to your baking machine, coffee machine, lamp, ect. according to your time routine. This functionality not only simplifies your daily life, but also avoids unnecessary power consumption.
- User-friendly Design: The latest version base design perfectly fit into UK wall socket and won't interfere with the switch. In addition, smart plug works with any Wi-Fi router without the need of a separate hub.
Last update on 2020-07-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API