How to Choose the Best Smart Plug for Your Home
How do you choose the best smart home outlet? Which functions and features must the best smart plug have to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Smart or “intelligent” devices appear to be more and more present, if not more necessary, in our lives. This is how humankind is heading in a safe direction: intelligent house or Smart Home.
Just as today we have a smart phone and we could not imagine life without it, in the not too distant future we will no longer imagine a home without the most “smart” facilities.
A seemingly small step towards obtaining a smart home is the purchase and installation of a smart plug or smart electrical outlet.
The many advantages that such an outlet offers will convince you of the need to purchase one. Read below to find out how you choose the best smart plug for your home.
Table of Contents
What Are the Advantages of a Smart Plug?
You probably wonder what makes it worth the term “smart”. Well, this plug does much more than allow you to connect to a power source.
It gives you the ability to control your devices connected to this outlet remotely via an internet connection and a special phone application. Besides, it also helps you to make important energy savings.
You could find such an outlet very practical in situations where it is necessary to start or stop the appliances from a distance. Suppose you do not remember whether or not you let the air conditioner running or the iron plugged in.
Or maybe you might want to start some appliances beforehand, for example the electric oven to be warmed up when you get home. You may have this level of control with the best intelligent plug.
You will also receive notifications on your phone about any electrical malfunction, and you can also check the level of power consumption for each device on your phone.
How Do You Choose the Best Smart Plug?
Being a product that is gaining more and more popularity every day, it is normal for many models with more or less special features to appear on the market.
Since the price of such a plug can sometimes reach even a few tens of pounds, you can not choose any model. That’s why it’s a good idea to be informed about this intelligent outlet before deciding to buy a particular model.
In order to help you in your choice, we have prepared a shopping guide in which we present what functions and features should the best intelligent plug have to deserve your money.
So, in your choice, take into account the following important issues:
For smartphone operation, the smart plug connects to the home Wi-Fi network through a Linux platform. This makes it possible for you to access and control it remotely, as long as the home internet is working and your controlled device is connected to the internet.
The aspect you need to be careful about is compatibility. You will not be able to use a smart plug if it’s not compatible with your device.
So, before buying, check the operating systems (IOS, Android, or Windows) with which the smart plug is compatible.
Which Features and Functions Should the Best Smart Plug Have?
Control from any mobile device – once the connection between the plug and the device is completed, you will have absolute control over its functionality, meaning you can turn it on or stop the power supply, and thus control the connected devices.
First check that the smart socket you want can withstand the electrical charge of the devices you want to connect.
Programming – the best smart plug also gives you the ability to program the start and stop time. This feature may be useful if you know you will not be able to connect your phone to the internet to control the outlet directly.
Reports – Better devices have the ability to deliver a report after each on or off turn to make sure the action you ordered on your device has been running successfully.
Overload alert – when you encounter such electricity problems, you will receive a notification on your phone.
Consumption measurement – a feature that lets you check the power consumption of each device in your home. All the data will be saved in an archive, and you will be able to figure out which device consumes the most energy.
You will basically be able to find out where your home consumption problems are and try to solve them now.
Safety for children – we know that children are very attracted to such objects. Especially if it is a new object in the house, if it lights up and if it is said that it is not allowed to walk to it, the child will feel very attracted to this outlet.
The best intelligent smart plug will, however, be safe enough not to endanger the safety of the child if it has access to it.
The warranty of a smart plug must be at least 2 years. A good supplier will provide you with this warranty period as well as the possibility to extend this period.
However, as technology is constantly evolving, over 2 years you are likely to want to replace your smart socket with a more advanced one that gives you more control options.
It’s normal to be interested in the company that produces the best smart socket. Even if we can not call it the best, we can give you some examples of companies that have built up a good reputation among users who have been pleased with the performance of their devices.
Depending on the number of functions that their sockets offer, but also the quality / price ratio, the most recommended brands are: TP-Link, D-Link, Edimax, Panasonic, or Fibaro.
Before buying a product, especially if you buy it online, we recommend that you consult the opinions of other buyers in order to have a fair view of the smart plug that you want to buy.
Recommended Smart Plugs
Taking into account the above criteria and recommendations, studying the current market offer and user reviews, we present you below some models of smart plugs that offer excellent quality/price ratio.
- Compatibility - Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant for Voice Control. Without Energy Monitoring
- No Hub Required - Works with any Wi-Fi router without the need for a separate hub
- Remote Access -Control devices connected to the smart plug wherever you use the free Tapo app on your phone
- Alexa Mini Smart Plug - meross mini smart plug is the thinnest one in the market. It fits into UK wall socket and won't interfere with the switch. It won't block other socket when it is plugged in a power strip.
- Voice and Remote Control - Smart plug is compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, Compatible with SmartThings. Give Alexa or Google Home Assistant a voice command to turn on/off Alexa plug. Many things to plug in such as lamps, coffee machines, fans, dehumidifiers.
- Powerful Chipset as Amazon Echo - meross smart plugs use MediaTek chipsets that enable meross Wi-Fi plugs much better than others. Capable of longer Wi-Fi connection range and lower disconnection rate than competitors.
- REMOTE CONTROL - You can control appliances remotely via your phone whenever and wherever you are after downloading the FREE APP "Nooie". You don't need to move around to turn on/off devices even you are at home.
- MAKE YOUR HOME SMART - Works with Alexa and Google home, Nooie smart plug lets you voice control your lights, fans, coffee makers, and more. With multiple smart plugs, you can control multiple outlets. No smart home hub required.
- SET UP HELPFUL ROUTINES - Nooie APP can help you control your home appliances worry-free by setting automatic daily timers and schedules, so your devices (such as lamps, heating and coffee maker, etc) can turn on and off on their own, that brings convenience and efficiency to your life.
- Amazon Smart Plug works with Alexa to add voice control to any electrical socket.
- Schedule lights, coffee machines and appliances to turn on and off automatically, or control them remotely when you’re away.
- Simple to set up and use: plug in, open the Alexa app and start using your voice.
- 🔌 ⚡ Schedule and timer ⚡ Preset a schedule for the fish tank light via the smart plug to light up your fish's world at regular intervals. Preset a countdown timer when your phone is charging to prevent overcharging and protect your phone's battery health.
- 🔌 ⚡ Voice control ⚡ The Smart Plug is compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant, control your appliances on and off with a single word, smart living at your fingertips, great for the elderly and people with mobility issues.
- 🔌 ⚡ Remote control ⚡ No matter where you are, you can turn your connected devices on/off remotely via the Smart Life App, so you can keep your home appliances under control, on business, and on the go.
- APP Remote Control: Wherever you are. download an app to remotely control the smart plug turn on/off. PS: The smart plug ONLY support 2.4G WiFi
- Voice Control: Smart wifi plug compatible with alexa and google home, you can free you hand and let alexa or google home help you to turn on/off your smart plugs
- Schedule&Timer: set a schedule or timer for your wifi plugs to automatically to power on/off them.
Last update on 2022-06-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API