How to Choose the Best Food Dehydrator
How do you choose the best fruits and vegetables dehydrator? What features and functions should the best food dehydrator have to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Table of Contents
What is a Food Dehydrator?
A food dehydrator is an appliance designed to remove water from food without destroying its enzymes and vitamins. Most of these dehydrated foods are used in raw vegan diets because they are not heated at temperatures that will destroy their enzymes and vitamins, and under these conditions can not be considered as cooking.
The best food dehydrator is generally used for drying fruits and vegetables, and the models of these dehydrators are multiple. We can recall professional and semi-professional dehydrators, with very easy to use models in any kitchen, with two, four or more trays.
Every person will be able to purchase a food dehydrator according to their requirements and according to their available budget.
How Does a Food Dehydrator Work?
If we understand how a food dehydrator works then we will be able to understand the changes that take place at the level of nutritional content for food.
These dehydrators are equipped with a number of trays to be placed inside where you put the vegetables and the fruits that need to be dehydrated. When the appliance is switched on, the hot air circulates to disperse the heat evenly.
A food dehydrator also contains a thermostat which will control the temperature according to the preset settings. This is especially important if we think that different types of food can be dewatered at temperatures. Before using a food dehydrator it is advisable to inform us of the temperatures indicated to obtain the desired result.
Most times, the temperatures required for dehydration are related to the water content of dehydrated foods. Thus, more water means a longer dehydration time. Certainly a food dehydrator can be much more efficient than an oven to dry certain foods, whether we are talking about fruits or vegetables. Differences are immediately noticed in terms of optimal dehydration and energy consumed.
The Process of Food Dehydration
In this process of dehydration, we can take into account almost any type of product to be dehydrated. We can remember the vegetables, spices or even pastrami, which are to be placed separately on the dehydration device. A food dehydrator can be used for a wide range of foods including fruits, vegetables, herbs and greens, teas, meat, yogurt or cheese.
The process of using a food dehydrator is as simple as possible. So, in the first place, we have to wash and clean the food, then cut it off. Then we season the food to our taste if desired, then we placed in on the tray and set the desired program depending on the foods to be dehydrated to fully conserve the important nutritional content.
Dehydration it is the ideal drying process for food because it affects very little the taste and nutritional content of the food. Under these conditions, dried foods using this appliance can be stored for a longer period if stored properly. You can store the dehydrated foods in sealed containers or in paper bags. At the same time, you have to consider the possibility of storing these foods in cooler and dry places.
Why are Dehydrated Foods Recommended?
You may wonder why these dehydrated foods are recommended and under these conditions we can say that they are the ones that offer us the opportunity to enjoy a healthier diet because we will no longer have to buy canned food with additives or harmful sugars.
These equipment is used mostly for dehydration of fruits or vegetables, and the quality of these foods will be preserved in terms of taste and nutritional values. Dried fruits and vegetables can have a high sugar content, which means it is advisable to choose such equipment to dehydrate these foods. If you have a food dehydrator at home then you will be sure that you will always have delicious and 100% natural snacks.
In conclusion, we can add that it is advisable to purchase a food dehydrator if you want to make sure that the foods you eat can offer you a healthy diet. This is also the main reason why many people consider the possibility of choosing an electrical appliance of this type. The purchase price is a great deal compared to the benefits offered by this device.
How to Choose the Best Food Dehydrator
We all want to make the right choices when we want to buy some devices and household appliances, and this is also true when choosing a food dehydrator.
Most people who opt for this type of appliance are those passionate about raw vegan cuisine or those who will always want to keep food for a long time. When choosing a food dehydrator it is advisable to keep in mind the type of appliance you want. There are 2 in 1 models, which means that you will be able to use them for dehydrating food and preparing different types of food.
Buying a food dehydrator is a very good investment because you will always be able to consume healthy foods prepared by you. At the same time, there are appliances of this type that have only the drying function, which means you can consider buying a device of this type if you just dry the food. The most important features that you need to keep in mind to make the right choice are power, power levels, number of compartments and warranty.
Number of Compartments
It is advisable to keep in mind the number of compartments when you want to buy a food desiccator. Under these conditions, you need to think about the amount of food you want to dehydrate, then choose an appliance depending on it. There are machines with 4-9 drying trays, talking about household appliances.
It is also advisable to inform you that the purchased appliance also has a height adjustment system. This system will allow you to adjust the appliance as necessary depending on the thickness of the fruit and vegetables. At the same time, it is advisable to choose an appliance that can have a maximum distance of 40 mm between the drawers and a minimum of 27 mm.
Another important aspect of purchasing a food dehydrator is related to the warranty you will get on the product. Under these circumstances, a good manufacturer will need to offer you a minimum guarantee of two years for the purchased product. There are also models that have up to 3 years warranty, depending on the supplier and you can also benefit from an extension of the warranty for an extra fee.
Shape and Dimensions
When you buy the best food dehydrator the most important aspect, which you have to keep in mind, is represented by your needs. Under these circumstances, you can consider purchasing a roll-shaped or box-shaped food dehydrator, each device having certain advantages and disadvantages.
The cylinder-shaped food dehydrators are much more aesthetic and more extensible and if you want to dry more or less food then you can add or remove some trays. Regarding a box-like food dehydrator, we can say that the size is a fixed one, which means that if you want to dehydrate fewer foods then they are less effective. The advantage of box-shaped devices is the larger space for each tray and the location of the heat and ventilation devices. There is no big hole in the middle, which means you will have more space for food.
In the case of a box-like food dehydrator, we can add that the airflow comes from the back to the front which means it will pass horizontally through all the trays. On the other hand, in the case of a circular desiccator, the warm air comes from the top and passes through all the trays. Under these conditions, food smells can be mixed if dehydration of a larger number of fruits or vegetables is desired.
The capacity of dehydrators is different, and if you want to choose a square dehydrator, then you will not have to worry about rotating the trays. Each tray will receive the warm air portion equally and synchronously.
When you want to make sure you buy a better food dehydrator model, it is advisable to consider more features and not to look at this as a simple heating device or as a fan.
For some recipes, we can talk about a higher start temperature and a low temperature towards the end of dehydration. If we talk about more complicated recipes, then it is advisable to purchase a dehydrator equipped with a timer and a thermostat.
Most of these food dehydrators are made of plastic, but there are situations where they are made of steel. The latter are often found in stores selling food or in restaurants, but by purchasing them you will have the opportunity to enjoy them in your own kitchen.
The most important aspect that you need to keep in mind is your budget, but there are multiple possibilities from this point of view, ideal for all types of budgets.
Recommended Food Dehydrators
Taking into account the above criteria and analysing the offer on the market we can recommend below some models of food dehydrators that offer excellent quality/price ratio.
- Large 5 removable tiers,which allow you to dehydrate different types of food simultaneously.
- Operated with the motor small fan, One-touch to operate,safety with overheating protection.
- Adjustable temperature between 35-70℃ according to the different types of food you want to dry,Retains Full flavour and nutrients.
- With this food dehydrator from Cooks Professional you can slowly extract moisture and lock in the flavours and nutritional content of your food.
- Dehydrating is the healthiest way of preserving your food and the adjustable thermostat and timer allows you to be in complete control of the drying process.
- The 5 tier design means you can preserve varieties of food simultaneously; from fruit and vegetables to fish and beef. You can create a variety of healthy snacks such as banana chips, apple rings, beef jerky and biltong. Keeping up to 97% of the nutrients. Instruction manual included with drying time guidelines.
- Dehydrate and preserve a range of foods quickly and easily for natural, nutritious and tasty snacks. Ideal for fruits, meats, fish, vegetables, greens, herbs, and bread - create beef jerky, banana chips, dried fruits, fruit roll ups and more
- Large 5 tier design with flow-drying system slowly extracts moisture and preserves food, whilst retaining vitamins, minerals and flavour
- Easy to use temperature control - adjustable between 40 - 70°C to suit all types of food with fully removable trays for easy loading and unloading
- Digital Fruit Dryer, Food Dryer, Herb Dryer (timer with automatic shut-off up to twelve hours) white
- A High Quality Fruit and Food Dryer for gentle preservation by dehydration of fruits, herbs, fruits, mushrooms, meat, and much more
- Retains Full flavour and nutrients.
- Supplied with 9 removable Stainless Steel dishwasher safe trays
- Solid, modern design with superior build quality and great looks
- Knob controlled adjustable thermostat
- The Flow Dehydrator has an efficient 250w motor; it operates at a temperature of approx 75 degrees C. This is the suggest safe temperature of the FDA for drying meat jerky's
- Its Opaque Exterior helps block harmful light which can destroy nutrients. It comes with 5 drying trays and is expandable to 8 trays.
- Trays are 28cm in diameter. The ezy stack tray system allows the trays to fit into each other when not in use for convenient storage
Last update on 2019-07-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API