How to Choose the Best Food Dehydrator
How do you choose the best fruits and vegetables dehydrator? What features and functions should the best food dehydrator have to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Table of Contents
What is a Food Dehydrator?
A food dehydrator is an appliance designed to remove water from food without destroying its enzymes and vitamins.
Most of these dehydrated foods are used in raw vegan diets because they are not heated at temperatures that will destroy their enzymes and vitamins, and under these conditions can not be considered as cooking.
The best food dehydrator is generally used for drying fruits and vegetables, and the models of these dehydrators are multiple.
We can recall professional and semi-professional dehydrators, with very easy to use models in any kitchen, with two, four or more trays.
Every person will be able to purchase a food dehydrator according to their requirements and according to their available budget.
How Does a Food Dehydrator Work?
If we understand how a food dehydrator works then we will be able to understand the changes that take place at the level of nutritional content for food.
These dehydrators are equipped with a number of trays to be placed inside where you put the vegetables and the fruits that need to be dehydrated. When the appliance is switched on, the hot air circulates to disperse the heat evenly.
A food dehydrator also contains a thermostat which will control the temperature according to the preset settings. This is especially important if we think that different types of food can be dewatered at temperatures. Before using a food dehydrator it is advisable to inform us of the temperatures indicated to obtain the desired result.
Most times, the temperatures required for dehydration are related to the water content of dehydrated foods. Thus, more water means a longer dehydration time.
Certainly a food dehydrator can be much more efficient than an oven to dry certain foods, whether we are talking about fruits or vegetables. Differences are immediately noticed in terms of optimal dehydration and energy consumed.
The Process of Food Dehydration
In this process of dehydration, we can take into account almost any type of product to be dehydrated. We can remember the vegetables, spices or even pastrami, which are to be placed separately on the dehydration device.
A food dehydrator can be used for a wide range of foods including fruits, vegetables, herbs and greens, teas, meat, yogurt or cheese.
The process of using a food dehydrator is as simple as possible. So, in the first place, we have to wash and clean the food, then cut it off. Then we season the food to our taste if desired, then we placed in on the tray and set the desired program depending on the foods to be dehydrated to fully conserve the important nutritional content.
Dehydration it is the ideal drying process for food because it affects very little the taste and nutritional content of the food. Under these conditions, dried foods using this appliance can be stored for a longer period if stored properly.
You can store the dehydrated foods in sealed containers or in paper bags. At the same time, you have to consider the possibility of storing these foods in cooler and dry places.
Why are Dehydrated Foods Recommended?
You may wonder why these dehydrated foods are recommended and under these conditions we can say that they are the ones that offer us the opportunity to enjoy a healthier diet because we will no longer have to buy canned food with additives or harmful sugars.
These equipment is used mostly for dehydration of fruits or vegetables, and the quality of these foods will be preserved in terms of taste and nutritional values.
Dried fruits and vegetables can have a high sugar content, which means it is advisable to choose such equipment to dehydrate these foods. If you have a food dehydrator at home then you will be sure that you will always have delicious and 100% natural snacks.
In conclusion, we can add that it is advisable to purchase a food dehydrator if you want to make sure that the foods you eat can offer you a healthy diet. This is also the main reason why many people consider the possibility of choosing an electrical appliance of this type. The purchase price is a great deal compared to the benefits offered by this device.
How to Choose the Best Food Dehydrator
We all want to make the right choices when we want to buy some devices and household appliances, and this is also true when choosing a food dehydrator.
Most people who opt for this type of appliance are those passionate about raw vegan cuisine or those who will always want to keep food for a long time. When choosing a food dehydrator it is advisable to keep in mind the type of appliance you want. There are 2 in 1 models, which means that you will be able to use them for dehydrating food and preparing different types of food.
Buying a food dehydrator is a very good investment because you will always be able to consume healthy foods prepared by you. At the same time, there are appliances of this type that have only the drying function, which means you can consider buying a device of this type if you just dry the food.
The most important features that you need to keep in mind to make the right choice are power, power levels, number of compartments and warranty.
Number of Compartments
It is advisable to keep in mind the number of compartments when you want to buy a food desiccator. Under these conditions, you need to think about the amount of food you want to dehydrate, then choose an appliance depending on it. There are machines with 4-9 drying trays, talking about household appliances.
It is also advisable to inform you that the purchased appliance also has a height adjustment system. This system will allow you to adjust the appliance as necessary depending on the thickness of the fruit and vegetables. At the same time, it is advisable to choose an appliance that can have a maximum distance of 40 mm between the drawers and a minimum of 27 mm.
Another important aspect of purchasing a food dehydrator is related to the warranty you will get on the product. Under these circumstances, a good manufacturer will need to offer you a minimum guarantee of two years for the purchased product.
There are also models that have up to 3 years warranty, depending on the supplier and you can also benefit from an extension of the warranty for an extra fee.
Shape and Dimensions
When you buy the best food dehydrator the most important aspect, which you have to keep in mind, is represented by your needs.
Under these circumstances, you can consider purchasing a roll-shaped or box-shaped food dehydrator, each device having certain advantages and disadvantages.
The cylinder-shaped food dehydrators are much more aesthetic and more extensible and if you want to dry more or less food then you can add or remove some trays.
Regarding a box-like food dehydrator, we can say that the size is a fixed one, which means that if you want to dehydrate fewer foods then they are less effective.
The advantage of box-shaped devices is the larger space for each tray and the location of the heat and ventilation devices. There is no big hole in the middle, which means you will have more space for food.
In the case of a box-like food dehydrator, we can add that the airflow comes from the back to the front which means it will pass horizontally through all the trays.
On the other hand, in the case of a circular desiccator, the warm air comes from the top and passes through all the trays. Under these conditions, food smells can be mixed if dehydration of a larger number of fruits or vegetables is desired.
The capacity of dehydrators is different, and if you want to choose a square dehydrator, then you will not have to worry about rotating the trays. Each tray will receive the warm air portion equally and synchronously.
When you want to make sure you buy a better food dehydrator model, it is advisable to consider more features and not to look at this as a simple heating device or as a fan.
For some recipes, we can talk about a higher start temperature and a low temperature towards the end of dehydration. If we talk about more complicated recipes, then it is advisable to purchase a dehydrator equipped with a timer and a thermostat.
Most of these food dehydrators are made of plastic, but there are situations where they are made of steel. The latter are often found in stores selling food or in restaurants, but by purchasing them you will have the opportunity to enjoy them in your own kitchen.
The most important aspect that you need to keep in mind is your budget, but there are multiple possibilities from this point of view, ideal for all types of budgets.
Recommended Food Dehydrators
Taking into account the above criteria and analysing the offer on the market we can recommend below some models of food dehydrators that offer excellent quality/price ratio.
- - The fruit dehydrator has two different trays positions-low and high. Using "low" position when dehydrating smaller foods and "high" position when dehydrating larger foods. It has the hot air circulation and high drying efficiency. It will automatically shut off when timer is done.
- 24 MONTHS WARRANTY: Every product is covered with 2 year seller's guarantee, if there’s any problem, please don't hesitate to contact us, we will resolve your entire problem as soon as possible. We are so confident that you'll love the meat grinder, + **FREE COLOUR RECIPE BOOK ENCLOSED** + **FREE 2 YEAR WARRANTY** + **COMES IN NICE COLOUR GIFT BOX**
- - This food dehydrating machine has the large capacity with 5 adjustable trays which can carry much food, giving you the freedom to choose the amount of dried food, ideal for household use. It's transparent so that you can pay close attention to the drying degree of food inside without opening the lid while it's working.
- Make healthy snack alternatives like kale and beetroot crisps
- You can preserve foods fresh qualities and extend the shelf life, youï¿½ll end up wasting less food
- It has plenty of space to dehydrate food in batches with 6 shelves
- The electriq digital food dehydrator is the fast and easy way to make delicious, healthy and natural snacks.
- Adjustable digital thermostat range of 40-70 ï¿½C. Adjustable digital timer lets you program the dehydrator for up to 48 hours.
- Digital thermostat settings lets different foods dry at the correct temperatures
- 6 large removable tiers, which allow you to dehydrate different types of food simultaneously. Comes with a recipe, you can make delicious food based on the recipe.
- Operated with the motor small fan, One-touch to operate, safety with overheating protection.
- 30°C~90°C adjustable temperature is convenient for you to choose the most suitable temperature for different food you want to dry. The adjustable digital timer lets you program the digital food dryer for up to 24hours.
- RECTANGULAR DIGITAL FOOD DEHYDRATOR -- Your Andrew James Dehydrator Machine offers a quick and easy way to make deliciously healthy, natural snacks such as banana chips, fruit roll-ups, biltong, and beef jerky.
- 6 STACKABLE TRAYS -- This efficient fruit dryer features 6 spacious drying layers so there is enough capacity to hold large quantities of food easily.
- ADJUSTABLE DIGITAL THERMOSTAT & TIMER -- An adjustable digital thermostat range of 40-70°C allows different foods to dry at correct temperatures. With the adjustable digital timer, you can program the dehydrator for up to 48 hours.
- Supplied with 6 removable Stainless Steel dishwasher safe trays
- Solid, modern design with superior build quality and great looks
- Knob controlled adjustable thermostat
Last update on 2020-06-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API