How to Choose the Best Electric Grater
How do you choose the best electric grater? What features and functions should the best electric grater have to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Every passing day seems to be getting shorter, but also more and more precious. That’s why we are always looking for appliances that can save us as much time as possible.
Fortunately, technological progress as well as awareness of the needs of modern people have led to the emergence of very practical and useful home appliances.
These include electric grater. And because we know you’re always looking for the best, find out how you choose the best electric grater.
Table of Contents
- 1 Electric Grater vs. Manual Grater
- 2 How Do You Choose the Best Electric Grater?
- 2.1 Type of Electric Grater
- 2.2 Power and Speed
- 2.3 Storage Volume
- 2.4 Functions of the Electric Grater
- 2.5 Safety, Accessibility and Reliability
- 2.6 Warranty
- 2.7 Which Functions and Accessories Should the Best Electric Grater Have?
- 2.8 Recommended Electric Graters
Electric Grater vs. Manual Grater
In recent years, many variations of ergonomic manual graters that promise speed, resilience, and practicality have emerged on the market.
However, any manual grater is a safety hazard and the speed and area of use can not be compared to that of an electric grater.
The best electric grater is capable of chopping, slicing, or grinding about any vegetable, fruit or dairy product. It is also much faster, and the risk of hand injury is almost non-existent.
You can consider purchasing such a device in the kitchen especially if it is used by a person who has limited mobility, is experiencing health problems or is elderly. Under these conditions, an electric grater is more practical than a manual grater.
How Do You Choose the Best Electric Grater?
As a kitchen appliance introduced quite recently in the market, it is good to be very knowledgeable before buying such a device. Although it has a more affordable price than a food processor, you do not have to treat the investment superficially, because a bad choice will certainly create inconvenience.
It is also quite difficult to make the difference between a quality grater and one that does not deserve the investment because the differences are relatively few. So we have prepared a shopping guide, specially designed to help you find the ideal electric grater for your kitchen.
When making your your choice, take the following points into account.
Type of Electric Grater
There are two types of electric grinders: power cord or battery. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each variant?
Corded Electric Graters
Generally, power cord electric graters are larger, they occupy more space, they are made to be stationary, and engineering allows them to chop a larger amount of vegetables in a shorter time.
It’s the best choice for you if you have a large family, and you have to cook a great deal everyday, or if you’re in the habit of cooking a large amount of food once. The main advantage is a higher grating speed of vegetables, which will allow you to fit within any time limit.
In terms of safety, this type of grater has several detachable parts that can be washed lightly under the jet of water or in the dishwasher.
Elements that are directly connected to electricity can easily be cleaned with a wet cloth. Be careful not clean the device while is plugged in!
Battery Powered Electric Graters
Although not as powerful as the corded graters, battery-operated graters are a perfect choice for your kitchen.
Because they are portable and smaller in size, they can easily be placed and stored, and they are the ideal option for grating chocolate or parmesan cheese to use later. Often, their performance depends on battery power.
Power and Speed
The speed and power levels of such a device depend on the number of watts and the quality of the disc material. Generally, engine power ranges between 150 W and 500 W.
Depending on your needs and the frequency you use, you can choose a 150 W model for soft vegetables (tomatoes, cucumbers, mushrooms, strawberries) and moderate use, a 200 watts average power model for harder foods (carrots, celery), and a powerful electric grater that can reach up to 500 W, capable of grating including hazelnuts, nuts and hard cheeses.
Considering other consumers oppinion as well as the reputation of a brand will help you make the best choice. Also, an engine is only effective if it forms a good pair with a quality blade.
Speed, but also strength, also depends on the material from which the grater is made. It must be durable and easy to clean, and the best power grater is made of stainless steel.
Another aspect to consider when choosing the best electric grater is the storage capacity of the container in which the vegetables are placed before being crushed.
The currently available electric scrapers have a capacity of between 0.1 and 0.5 litres. Of course, a larger capacity of the container will mean more money invested, but if you are not a person who wants to cook a lot of food, a great capacity is totally useless.
On the other hand, a large capacity container allows you to do other things while the vegetables are grated, which reduces your direct involvement as much as possible.
Functions of the Electric Grater
It is expected that an electric grater will allow you different scraping styles according to your needs. Thus, there are four basic functions that any electric graters must be able to do: scraping, slicing, grinding and shredding.
In addition to these four fundamental functions, some manufacturers have added functions such as grinding, and the fewest such devices can also work as blender.
This variety of textures depends on the diversity of blades or gravel sieves. The more there are, the more scraping options you have at your disposal. Also, do not buy an electric grater if it does not come with at least 4 such blades.
Safety, Accessibility and Reliability
When purchasing such a device, you have to make sure it has all the necessary conditions for it to be used in maximum safety, to allow you easy manoeuvrability and to be built in such a way as to last as long as possible.
So any electric grater must have an accessory to push the vegetables into the grater so that it does not expose your hand to danger, as well as easy to detach and clean components, but also very stable when used.
The automatic shut-off function and overheat protection are other aspects that extend the life of an appliance of this kind.
The best electric grater has to have a minimum guarantee period of 2 years. Any shorter period should indicate that the investment is not worth it.
Which Functions and Accessories Should the Best Electric Grater Have?
- Automatic engine shutdown function – prevents unnecessary use of electrical resources, prevents engine overheating and prolongs the life of the machine.
- Overheating Prevention – it is not recommended to continuously use such a device for more than 2 minutes. With this feature, however, you will not have to worry too much.
- Anti-skid ergonomic feet – to fix the clamp from any surface without moving during operation.
- Power cord retraction system – automatically removes the power cord into a special compartment by pressing a button.
- Special blade storage compartment – some graters have a specially designed space to store the grate stacks.
- Blades – as I mentioned a good grapple must have at least four blades. They can perform the functions: scraping, grinding, slicing, grinding, grinding, crushing.
- Special fries blade – Allows automatic slicing of whole potatoes to make potatoes to fry.
- Vegetable pushing device – Allows vegetables to be pushed on the vegetable tube into the grater sieve.
Recommended Electric Graters
Taking into account the above criteria and analysing the offer on the market we can recommend below some models of electric graters that offer excellent quality/price ratio.
- ★ [Free your hand] - Shake 1 circle is equivalent to cutting 12 times 360 degree three-dimensional knife edge, with many edges and large area. Easy to use, fast to work, saves time and effort.
- ★ [Universal fit] - Includes 3 different rotating super sharp cylinder slices (1 mill, 1 shred, 1 cut) made of food grade stainless steel, ideal for salads, cheese, vegetables, potatoes, coleslaw, nuts , potato pancakes, onions and more, make it easier and faster to enjoy a variety of dishes.
- ★ [Safe Design] - The round stainless steel rotary blade is placed in the rotary drum grinder to keep your hands away from sharp stainless steel blades and safely cut vegetables or fruits. The suction base ensures smooth grip and stability during operation. You never have to worry about hurting your delicate hands when you cut vegetables. Really safe and efficient.
- Free Your Hands: Make super easy and quick work of creating uniform spirals from fruits and vegetables for curly fries, salads,pasta within seconds.
- Kitchen Necessity: For vegetable Julienne,Slicing and Grinding,all functions in one piece of equipment means more room in your kitchen cupboards without mess.
- Humanized Design: Reasonable drum-type rotating vegetable shredder has powerful suction feet for stability on your table.This makes it efficient and easy to operate!
- Double function thanks to its interchangeable graters : a fine grater and a special grater for shavings
- Dimensions: 8 x 8 x 13,5 cm
- Suitable for all hard and semi-hard cheese like Parmesan, Gruyere, Emmental, etc.
- Moulinex Rapeur Trancheur Fresh Express 3 en 1 200W DJ753510. Électroménager. Marque Moulinex. Ne ratez plus aucune découpe grâce au hachoir Fresh Express 3-en-1 de Moulinex! Référence fabricant DJ753510. EAN 3045380010802.
- Two interchangeable stainless steel blades for Spaghetti and Ribbons
- Easy clean blades, simply rinse under running water
- Spiralize your way to five-a-day - Prepare fresh, healthy meals with a fun and easy twist
- 3 ROTARY DRUMS - The Rotary Cheese Grater Includes 3 Different Interchanging Rotary Drums & Slicer,You can use it for crushing, cutting and slicing. The blade is made of stainless steel, durable and of good quality.
- EASY TO USE - Simply insert cheese / vegetables / food into the hopper, squeeze the handle , and turn the Drums / Slicer handle to grate or shred. Perfect for grating Hard Cheeses like Parmesan, Chocolate,Vegetables and more.
- EASY TO WASH - It is also very easy to wash the slicer, and the food residue on the blade will be taken away by the rapid water. You must take care not to touch the blade with your hand. This will cut your hand. You can also clean it by using a dishwasher.
- Rechargeable battery (NiMH) with 1800 mAh power for long life.
- Removable stainless steel grater drum for cleaning.
- Locking drum compartment for hygienic storage and transportation.
Last update on 2020-06-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API