How to Choose the Best Laser Hair Removal Device
How do you choose the best IPL hair removal device? Which functions and features must the best laser hair removal machine have to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Until now, hair removal was pure torture. Maybe you are remember your first wax hair removal session, and you certainly do not enjoy the elaborate hair removal technique, and razor blade hair removal is ineffective in the long run and is not good for the skin.
Moreover, some areas do not even allow you to treat them with wax. That’s why it’s absolutely natural to be tempted by permanent hair removal using an IPL hair removal device.
Find out how below how to choose the best IPL epilator.
Table of Contents
- 1 How Does an IPL Hair Removal Device Work?
- 2 Why Choose the Best IPL Hair Removal Device?
- 3 The Best IPL Hair Removal System: How to Choose
- 4 Recommended IPL Hair Removal Devices
How Does an IPL Hair Removal Device Work?
The Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) hair removal devices work on a fairly simple principle: very strong light is pulsed to the root of the hair follicle.
Once in contact with melanin, the natural pigment of skin and hair, the light turns into light energy that penetrates into the root of the hair “trickling” it that it is time to stop the regeneration process.
In this way, the hairs are primarily discoloured, and then the growth process will cease for quite a long period of time, therefore this technology is rather semi-permanent. The results will only be visible after several sessions, generally at least 3 or 4.
Why Choose the Best IPL Hair Removal Device?
Until recently, this technology was only available in professional body care salons at fairly high prices. Now you can enjoy the same results at home with minimal costs and extraordinary results.
Using the IPL is not painful in any way and does not pose a risk to the skin. Although it requires more sessions, the results are long lasting. This means that it will not be necessary to repeat the sessions after 3 days or after a month.
The best IPL hair removal device will serve you faithfully for years, proving in time the value of your investment. You can enjoy effective hair removal, sessions are free, painless, and you can do it yourself in the comfort of your own home.
The Best IPL Hair Removal System: How to Choose
Knowing it’s advantages is not enough to make a wise choice. Although they are highly appreciated and promoted, few know what the difference is between a good laser hair removal device and one that leaves it to be desired.
How can you tell if the price really reflects it’s performance, or how do you realize that the device you want to buy will really be effective?
In order to be able to choose the ideal IPL epilator, you need to have a set of information about all the specifications you have to follow. Information is not always easy to find, but we’ve prepared a shopping guide with all the information you need.
In your choice, consider the following important issues:
Skin and Hair Colour
Unfortunately, not all people can use an IPL hair remover. Light-based technology is influenced by skin and hair colour.
Because technology depends on the level in which melanin can absorb light, it will not be effective for very light, white or blonde hair because it does not have enough melanin.
Also, if you have a dark skin tone or have just sunbathed, the technology will not work.
In other cases, the IPL hair remover will be effective, but the effects will be visible at different periods. If you have a pale skin or a very light or medium hue and a dark hair colour, the results will appear after 2-3 sessions. The more lighter your hair colour is, the more sessions you will need to see the effects. However, take into consideration that it may never be effective.
Another important aspect that you need to keep in mind because of your health is that the IPL hair removal device does not just affect hair. Very intense light will also have an effect on acne, birthmarks, unsightly pigmentation of skin or broken blood vessels. In addition, your skin may be sensitive to treatment.
Therefore, it is important to consult your doctor before buying such a device, and once purchased, perform a test session and wait for a week to see if the skin has any adverse reaction.
Area of Use
While most IPL hair removers can be used on any area on the body or on the face, there are also some devices designed specifically for use on a particular area. These specialized devices work with greater intensity and efficiency on a particular area, such as the moustache area.
However, such a device is neither the most practical nor the most economical, so we recommend that you carefully consult the product description in order not to make an infarction based on an erroneous understanding.
The best laser hair removal device can be used successfully on all body areas, including the face.
Also, a home-based IPL hair removal device should be able to cover even more sensitive areas of the body such as the inguinal area, the axles, the chest, the abdomen or the moustache.
This unit may have special settings depending on the sensitivity of each area, so consult the instructions carefully before use.
Percentage of Efficiency
Even if you get rid of unwanted hair for a long time, you need to know that you will not get rid of all the hair on your body. This is the reality that you have to accept, and which the manufacturers assume.
The efficacy of unwanted hair removal in an IPL hair remover is 50-95%. In general, manufacturers will indicate an average of this level of efficiency in the product description.
The efficiency of the IPL epilator varies, as we have recalled, to the peculiarities of each person’s skin and hair colour, but it may also vary depending on the body area of hair removal. The highest percentages are recorded in the leg and groin area (90-95%), followed by the axles (80%), and the lowest efficacy was recorded on the face (50%).
Adjustment Options: Intensity or Speed
The best IPL hair remover should allow you access to as many adjustments as possible, in order to personalize your entire use process. The aspect that you can adjust most often is the intensity of the pulsating light or speed.
This will allow you to adjust the intensity of light according to the area you act on, as well as the particularities of your skin. You will use a higher intensity or speed if you have a darker skin colour or if your hair is lighter in colour.
It is always good to start at the first sessions with the lowest intensity, for reasons of prevention and not to create too much cutaneous shock. A good IPL hair remover has at least 5 levels of speed, but the best laser hair removal device has even 7 speeds or intensities that you can adjust by pressing buttons.
Number of Light Flashes
Any IPL hair removal device can offer a limited number of light flashes, after which it can no longer be used. Depending on this number, it will or may not be necessary to change the light-generating lamp at a certain time, which is an extra cost that we do not want.
The best laser hair removal device device has a number of flashes that exceeds 100,000, so do not buy a device if the flashes value is less than that threshold.
Autonomy and Power Supply
You can find both wired and wireless IPL hair removal devices on the market. The choice depends on your comfort.
A wired IPL epilator will certainly depend on connecting to a socket. So you will not want to use it in the absence of a power source, which may sometimes be uncomfortable. However, wired devices are as efficient as wireless, but are cheaper and easier to find.
The best IPL hair remover in terms of comfort is certainly the wireless one. For a slightly larger price, you can enjoy easier use, better handling and the ability to use it wherever you want. You will only be able to use it only it after you charge it in advance.
The IPL hair removal device’s autonomy is measured by the number of flashes it can execute until full discharge. An ideal IPL epilator has an autonomy that exceeds 250 flashes and can reach up to 400 flashes of maximum power autonomy.
Features and Accessories the Best IPL Hair Remover Should Have
- Light intensity adjustment – the intensity adjustments we discussed above are mandatory, and a good IPL hair removal will have at least 5 adjustment levels.
- The Glide function – it can be quite awkward and even stressful to perform individual pulses on each small area, especially because the device will not work on a wide radius. The Glide function, found in the best performing hair removers, allows you to set a continuous pulse flow. This way your work will be considerably reduced, just by gliding the device on the surface of your skin.
- UV filter – Although it is a painless procedure, a slight feeling of discomfort will still be caused because the root of the hair will eventually be burned. To prevent burns in the upper layer of the skin, the UV filter is absolutely necessary.
- Body Accessory – an action head that generally has the largest dimension, which is used to pulse light in larger amounts in body areas: legs, arms, and back.
- Face and sensitive areas accessory – another smaller action head for use on the face, groin or axles.
- Goggles – Some manufacturers also include special protective goggles to protect the eyes from the powerful light emitted by the device.
- The pouch – a special case for the correct storage of the appliance, and for its protection.
- Charger – special charging device for wireless IPL hair removal devices.
Price and Warranty
The IPL hair removal device rule is simple: the device is cheaper – his performance will be weaker. Choose to make a long-term investment and be ready to allocate a more generous budget. This is a way to enjoy the guarantee of a long-lasting operation.
However, like any other device, the IPL hair removal system may have small unexpected manufacturing defects. That’s why it’s a must come with a minimum warranty of 2 years.
Recommended IPL Hair Removal Devices
Taking into account the above criteria and recommendations, studying the current market offer and user reviews, we present you below some models of IPL Hair Removal Devices that offer excellent quality/price ratio.
- Long-lasting: Philips powerful Lumea for 6 months of hair-free smooth skin
- Safe, gentle and easy: Breakthrough IPL technology developed with leading dermatologists; achieve long-lasting hair removal safely, in your home
- Personalised Treatment: Three curved, intelligent attachments for customised treatment on each body area - body, face and bikini
- Enjoy up to 8 weeks of naturally smooth, hair free skin, as chosen by over one million women*
- Lumea uses enhanced Salon IPL technology, adapted for effective use at home to prevent hair regrowth. Adapter : 24 V/1500 mA
- Safe and easy to use, Lumea has been developed in collaboration with expert scientists and dermatologists
- 【Working Principle】: SMALLRT IPL Hair Removal System uses Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) which absorbed by melanin in hair follicle, producing photothermal effect and risies the temperature of melanin rapidly and decomposing it;
- 【2 Different Modes】: The manual mode (flash mode) is mainly used for small area hair removal, such as bikini line, armpit, lips; auto mode (slide mode) can be used for large hair removal area, such as legs, stomach and back;
- 【5 Energy Levels】: From 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest) can be adjustable, please choose the level according to your needs. The higher level,the greater strength,the better effect of hair removal (For the first use, recommended use level 1);
- 【 Light hair removal technology】-IPL technology is best hair removal salon: Significant effect, painless, no side effects, permanent hair removal.
- 【 The latest hair removal system in 2019】-YAPAFA IPL hair removal system with Cream, simple operation and stable performance which made you feel cooling when using.
- 【 Significant effect】-Hair removal device with a LCD screen, the function can be recorded at any time, 5 energy gears，it can meet your all requirements. The hair growth slows down by 75% after using it once, becomes soft after 4-6 times, and 95% of processed hairs do not grow after 12 weeks.
- 【SAFE CLINICALLY-PROVEN & FAST EFFICIENT】Only need a few weeks you will get silky-smooth skin. The IPL hair removal system uses the same safe and clinically proven IPL (Strong Pulse Light) technology used by professional dermatologists and beauty salons. Hair will be reduced by more than 90% after 8-12 weeks. And after 12 weeks, you don't have to have regular treatment, just say goodbye to repeated hair loss.
- 【5 ENERGY LEVELS & 2 FLASH MODES】It has 5 different energy levels to accommodate different skin sensitivities. Two flash modes design can satisfy your demands on different hair removal parts.The flash mode is mainly used for small area hair removal, such as bikini line, fingers, lips; and the slide mode can be used for large hair removal area, such as arms, legs, chest, stomach and back.
- 【500,000 FLASHES& LCD DISPLAY】This Hair Removal suitable for women and men. 500,000 Flashes quipped with a LED screen, remaining flashes is easy to view and manage, not only for one person, but also for your family. Enough to use until you and your family have smooth skin.
- Braun's IPL; the safe, fast and most efficient IPL*; permanent hair reduction in just 4 weeks*
- Precision head attachment allows for accurate laser hair removal treatment for smaller areas, such as the upper lip on the face
- Safe IPL technology; clinically tested and dermatologically accredited as skin safe by an international skin health organization (Skin Health Alliance)
Last update on 2019-12-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API