How to Choose the Best Blood Pressure Monitor
How do you choose the best blood pressure monitor for you? What features and functions should the right blood pressure monitor have to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
A blood pressure monitor is an absolutely necessary device in the home of any person who suffers from hypertension or any other affection of blood pressure. These devices will help you monitor your blood pressure anytime.
More accurately, the best blood pressure monitor will help you determine if your blood pressure is working properly and help you dicover any potential health problems in time to get it to your doctor.
The best blood pressure monitor measures systolic and diastolic pressure as well as the pulse.
Table of Contents
The Best Blood Pressure Monitor: What to Look for
There are two types of blood pressure monitors you can use at home. The manual models are equipped with a stethoscope and an inflatable cuff that is connected to the manometer via a rubber tube. The cuff is inflated manually while listening to the blood flow through the stethoscope.
The digital blood pressure monitors also benefit from an inflatable cuff and a manometer, but instead of using a stethoscope, they automatically inflate the cuff and provide the measurements directly on the screen.
Manual blood pressure monitors are hard to use and imprecise. A digital blood pressure monitor gives you an accurate measurement in just a few seconds.
Type of Measurement
Between the two types of blood pressure monitors the main difference is the way they measure blood pressure. Digital blood pressure monitors do not use a stethoscope like manual ones. They use automatic pressure measurement.
Digital blood pressure monitors automatically display all necessary and final values on the screen, while manual blood pressure monitors use a needle dial that indicates values on its scale.
Memory and Users
Storing blood pressure values is very important. When you monitor your blood pressure, it is very important to monitor its evolution over time to notice important changes or to determine the efficacy of the medication.
The best digital blood pressure monitors store the values for multiple measurements and even allow a personalized history for different users. If you are the only one that uses the blood pressure monitor, you will not need more users, but the memory measurement function allows you to automatically keep record of your blood pressure history.
For manual blood pressure monitors, these advanced features are not available and you will need to record your measurement results separately.
Cuff Size and Material
Each blood pressure monitor is equipped with a cuff made of two types of material: rubber and nylon. The inner part of the cuff is made of a rubber membrane that swells with air and presses your arm to measure the tension.
The outer shell is made of nylon and is equipped with Velcro fastening (hooks) for fastening to the wrist.
The size of the cuff is important because not all the cuffs match all arm sizes. It is good to measure the circumference of your arm before selecting the ideal blood pressure monitor to make sure the cuff will fit.
An unsuitable size cuff will not accurately measure your blood pressure.
Compatibility with Smart Devices
Many models of modern digital blood pressure monitors offer the possibility of synchronizing history and measurement results with your phone or tablet. These usually correlate with the use of a specific application that can even email the results of your doctor by email. These applications are compatible with Android or iOS operating systems.
It is important to compare the best blood pressure monitors to find out which features you need. Although all products have the same purpose, some are easier to use than others, especially if you do not have specialized medical training.
Recommended Blood Pressure Monitors
Taking into account the above criteria, the buyers’ opinions and analysing the existing offer, we present below some models of blood pressure monitors that offer excellent quality / price ratio.
- One-Touch Button Operation: This fully automatic blood pressure monitor lets you get the one-button operation measurements. Press the "Start/Stop" button to start broadcasting, preset cuff pressure, and measure
- Adjustable Large Cuff: Our digital adjustable BP cuff kit is equipped with a large cuff, which is 8.7-15.7 inches (22-40 cm) wide and can be adapted to people of different sizes
- Large Display Screen & Voice Broadcast: Large LCD screen, convenient for adults to read blood pressure results, the automatic upper arm blood pressure machine will broadcast your blood pressure and heart rate
- Automatic blood pressure monitor with Medium 22 - 32 cm Cuff
- One button operation
- Last reading memory
- At-home monitoring: the Omron X2 Basic provides oscillometric readings of your blood pressure using an upper arm cuff so you can keep tabs on your blood pressure from the comfort of your own home
- Stay up-to-date with your health: easy-to-use at home blood pressure readings with reliable and accurate results as well as irregular heartbeat detection during routine blood pressure monitoring
- Oscillometric principle: the X2 basic reads your blood pressure by detecting blood movement through the brachial artery via upper arm cuff, measuring 22-32 cm, for accurate at-home tracking
- Professional and reliable monitor: this upper arm blood pressure monitor with advanced measurement technology gives you highly reliable readings. The accuracy ranges are: ±3 mmHg / ±0.4 kPa (blood pressure) and ±5%( pulse rate). Recommended by doctors for home health and blood pressure monitoring and recording.
- Double user mode x 99 memory storage: this blood machine support 2 users have their own measurement records, each user can record up to 99 readings. Displays the average of your last 3 readings. Helps users to easily track their health, blood pressure and heart rate according to the specific time and date.
- Adjustable comfortable cuff & switchable unit: with 22-32cm (8.7inch - 12.6in) large cuff, this blood pressure meter fits most people within the accepted range and has very strong velcro around the cuff to secure it around the arm, super easy and convenient for home use. Units of kPa and mmHg can be switched at will, suitable for everyone's reading habit.
- 【High Accuracy BP & HR Monitoring】 The blood pressure machines for home use is build with our latest Dralegend chip and advanced AI algorithms, which has been verified by more than 1,000 testers. this blood pressure monitor detects your blood pressure with superior high accuracy. While measuring the blood pressure, it also detects your heart rate and will alert you if there is any irregular heartbeat detected
- 【Large Backlight Display for Clear Reading】 Through a large reverse backlight display, this blood pressure machine presents the readings clearly. With the specially enlarged font, it makes the readings more reader-friendly. No matter in the day, or at night, the Dralegend blood pressure monitor delivers clear & accurate readings for your health reference
- 【240 Records & Adjustable Cuff Design】 The BP monitor can accommodate 2 users with up to 240 records (120 for each). And it takes 3 consecutive readings to find your average blood pressure, giving you a more comprehensive reference for health. The adjustable arm cuff (8.7 to 15.7 inches) features auto arm detection tech that alerts you with indicators if operated wrongly, ensuring you accurate results of every detection
- Clinically validated for accuracy- European Society for Hypertension (ESH)
- One button operation with 22-32 cm cuff
- 30 memories and average reading function
Last update on 2021-06-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API