How to Choose the Best Blood Pressure Monitor
How do you choose the best blood pressure monitor for you? What features and functions should the right blood pressure monitor have to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
A blood pressure monitor is an absolutely necessary device in the home of any person who suffers from hypertension or any other affection of blood pressure. These devices will help you monitor your blood pressure anytime.
More accurately, the best blood pressure monitor will help you determine if your blood pressure is working properly and help you dicover any potential health problems in time to get it to your doctor.
The best blood pressure monitor measures systolic and diastolic pressure as well as the pulse.
Table of Contents
The Best Blood Pressure Monitor: What to Look for
There are two types of blood pressure monitors you can use at home. The manual models are equipped with a stethoscope and an inflatable cuff that is connected to the manometer via a rubber tube. The cuff is inflated manually while listening to the blood flow through the stethoscope.
The digital blood pressure monitors also benefit from an inflatable cuff and a manometer, but instead of using a stethoscope, they automatically inflate the cuff and provide the measurements directly on the screen.
Manual blood pressure monitors are hard to use and imprecise. A digital blood pressure monitor gives you an accurate measurement in just a few seconds.
Type of Measurement
Between the two types of blood pressure monitors the main difference is the way they measure blood pressure. Digital blood pressure monitors do not use a stethoscope like manual ones. They use automatic pressure measurement.
Digital blood pressure monitors automatically display all necessary and final values on the screen, while manual blood pressure monitors use a needle dial that indicates values on its scale.
Memory and Users
Storing blood pressure values is very important. When you monitor your blood pressure, it is very important to monitor its evolution over time to notice important changes or to determine the efficacy of the medication.
The best digital blood pressure monitors store the values for multiple measurements and even allow a personalized history for different users. If you are the only one that uses the blood pressure monitor, you will not need more users, but the memory measurement function allows you to automatically keep record of your blood pressure history.
For manual blood pressure monitors, these advanced features are not available and you will need to record your measurement results separately.
Cuff Size and Material
Each blood pressure monitor is equipped with a cuff made of two types of material: rubber and nylon. The inner part of the cuff is made of a rubber membrane that swells with air and presses your arm to measure the tension.
The outer shell is made of nylon and is equipped with Velcro fastening (hooks) for fastening to the wrist.
The size of the cuff is important because not all the cuffs match all arm sizes. It is good to measure the circumference of your arm before selecting the ideal blood pressure monitor to make sure the cuff will fit.
An unsuitable size cuff will not accurately measure your blood pressure.
Compatibility with Smart Devices
Many models of modern digital blood pressure monitors offer the possibility of synchronizing history and measurement results with your phone or tablet. These usually correlate with the use of a specific application that can even email the results of your doctor by email. These applications are compatible with Android or iOS operating systems.
It is important to compare the best blood pressure monitors to find out which features you need. Although all products have the same purpose, some are easier to use than others, especially if you do not have specialized medical training.
Recommended Blood Pressure Monitors
Taking into account the above criteria, the buyers’ opinions and analysing the existing offer, we present below some models of blood pressure monitors that offer excellent quality / price ratio.
- Automatic blood pressure monitor with Medium 22 - 32 cm Cuff
- One button operation
- Last reading memory
- Clinically validated - European Society for Hypertension (ESH)
- One button operation with 22-32cm cuff
- 30 memories and average reading function
- INFLATION MEASUREMENT - Measuring your blood pressure at home can help you understand your condition and give you more control of your health. Measure during inflation, just like a doctor. Manage your systolic, diastolic blood pressure and pulse rate
- WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION GUIDELINES - This monitor features a built-in hypertension indicator based on World Health Organisation's guidelines that will give you valuable insights into the health and well-being of your circulatory system
- 60 MEMORIES - Able to detect irregular heartbeat and arrhythmia, this blood pressure monitor can also store 60 readings allowing you to access and track your progress
- Indicates if irregular heartbeat is detected
- Comes with Intelli Wrap Cuff technology
- Helps detect stroke risk factor. Indicates if cuff is wrapped correctly: not too loose or too tight
- Irregular heartbeat detection
- Cuff wrapping guide
- Blood pressure level indicator
- Intelli Wrap cuff 22-42 cm
- Cuff wrap guide. Has LED that signals if blood pressure is higher than the normal range
- Irregular heartbeat detector
Last update on 2019-03-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API