Table of Contents
- 1 Top 3 Recommended Best Baby Pillows
- 2 Why not use a normal pillow for your baby
- 3 When it’s time for a baby pillow
- 4 The Best Baby Pillow: What to Look For
- 5 Conclusion
- 6 Recommended Baby Pillows
How do you choose the best baby pillow in 2024? What you need to know when choosing the right pillow for your baby. Read our guide and make an informed choice.
As your baby grows, there will come a time when your little one will need a pillow to spend the night comfortably.
The best baby pillows are designed to give your baby a comfortable night’s sleep as long as possible.
This guide aims to provide you with everything you need to know about baby cushions.
The information will be structured so that the choice of the right pillow for your child is much easier.
Top 3 Recommended Best Baby Pillows
Why not use a normal pillow for your baby
If you have not heard of special baby pillows so far, you probably wonder why your baby can not sleep on a normal pillow.
A normal pillow is designed to provide support for the neck and head of an adult. A child does not have the same proportions as an adult, and the use of a normal pillow will put unnecessary pressure on his neck and shoulders. The resulting discomfort can lead to white nights and, in the worst case, to an incorrect posture.
Baby pillows are specially designed for the proportions of a small baby, allowing him to have a comfortable and restful sleep and allow the harmonious development of his body.
When it’s time for a baby pillow
There are many controversies about the best time the baby should start using a pillow. Most people think the best time is when your baby begins to use a normal bed around the age of 18-24 months.
Parents’ opinions, however, will vary a lot. Many parents will tell you that they used the baby pillows long before this age without any problems. Because each child develops and behaves differently, there seems to be no universal right moment in terms of starting to use the pillow for your little one.
Finally, as a parent, you will decide when it is the best time for the little one to start using a pillow. If you follow the baby carefully, you will see various clues indicating that he is ready to use a sleeping pillow. Be mindful of the following:
- The baby can not sleep unless you raise or support his head
- He is agitated at night due to discomfort
- He rests his head on a blanket or animal
- Look for a head on a couch on your couch or your bed
Another indicator is the child’s shoulders. Once they are broader than his head, he will probably feel more comfortable sleeping on a pillow than directly on the mattress.
The purpose of introducing a pillow into your child’s life is to rest more comfortable. If he sleeps very well without the pillow, let him be and follow the above clues to know when is the right time for a baby pillow.
The Best Baby Pillow: What to Look For
To choose the best pillow for your child, you will need to consider the criteria below.
Age and Size of Your Baby
When it comes to choosing a baby pillow, the age and size of your child are paramount.
Infants, particularly those under 18 months, should not use pillows due to the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). This is a tragic event where babies pass away unexpectedly while sleeping, often due to suffocation hazards in the crib, such as pillows and loose bedding.
As your child grows and transitions from an infant to a toddler, around 18 months old is a suitable age to introduce a pillow. At this stage, your child’s head and shoulders have grown, and a pillow can provide the necessary support for a comfortable sleep. However, it’s important to remember that children develop at different rates, and readiness for a pillow can vary. Some signs that your toddler may benefit from a pillow include difficulty getting comfortable, complaining of aches and pains in the morning, and sleeping with their head on rolled-up blankets or stuffed animals.
The size of the pillow should also be appropriate for your child’s size. Toddler-sized pillows, which are typically 13 by 18 inches, are more suitable than adult-sized ones. These smaller pillows fit well in a toddler bed or crib and provide adequate support without overwhelming your child’s small frame.
Material and Construction
The material and construction of the baby pillow can significantly affect its comfort and support levels. When choosing a baby pillow, look for one made from 100% cotton or a soft fabric that will be gentle on your baby’s skin. These materials are also breathable, which can help to regulate your child’s temperature during sleep and prevent overheating.
Memory foam is a popular choice for toddler pillows due to its ability to mould to the shape of the child’s head and neck, providing excellent support. This material is also durable and maintains its shape well, making it a good long-term investment.
The construction of the pillow is another important factor. Look for pillows with a firm but comfortable fill that will provide the necessary support for your child’s head and neck. Synthetic fibres and memory foam are safe and comfortable options. Avoid fillings like buckwheat and down feathers as they may pose choking hazards.
In addition, consider pillows with removable, machine-washable covers. Babies and toddlers can be messy, and having the ability to easily wash the pillow cover can make your life much easier. It also helps to keep the pillow clean and hygienic, which is important for your child’s health.
The filling of a baby pillow is a critical factor in determining its comfort and safety. The fill material directly impacts the firmness, support, and breathability of the pillow.
Synthetic fibres, such as polyester, are a common choice for baby pillows. These fibres are hypoallergenic, meaning they are unlikely to cause allergic reactions. They are also lightweight and provide a good balance of softness and support.
Memory foam is another popular choice, especially for toddler pillows. This material moulds to the shape of the child’s head and neck, providing excellent support and helping to maintain proper spinal alignment. Memory foam is also hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites, making it a good choice for children with allergies or asthma.
However, it’s important to avoid certain types of fillings. Buckwheat and down feathers, for example, may pose choking hazards and should be avoided. They can also cause allergic reactions in some children.
The size of the baby pillow should be appropriate for your child’s size and the bed they sleep in. A pillow that is too large can pose a suffocation risk, while a pillow that is too small may not provide adequate support.
Toddler-sized pillows, which are typically 13 by 18 inches, are more suitable than adult-sized ones. These smaller pillows fit well in a toddler bed or crib and provide adequate support without overwhelming your child’s small frame.
As your child grows, you may need to upgrade to a larger pillow. However, it’s important to remember that the pillow should still fit comfortably within your child’s bed and should not take up too much space.
When choosing a pillow size, it’s also worth considering your child’s sleeping position. Side sleepers, for example, may require a slightly thicker pillow to support their neck and maintain proper spinal alignment.
When it comes to choosing a baby pillow, hypoallergenic features are a must.
Babies have sensitive skin and are more prone to allergies, so it’s crucial to choose a pillow that won’t trigger any allergic reactions.
Hypoallergenic pillows are made from materials that are unlikely to cause an allergic reaction. These materials include synthetic fibres like polyester and memory foam. They are resistant to dust mites, mould, and mildew, common allergens that can cause reactions such as skin irritation, sneezing, and difficulty breathing.
In addition to the pillow itself, consider a pillow cover made from hypoallergenic materials. A hypoallergenic cover adds an extra layer of protection against allergens, and it’s also easy to remove and wash, keeping the pillow clean and allergen-free.
Easy Care Features
Babies can be messy, and their pillows are no exception. That’s why easy care features are important when choosing a baby pillow.
Look for pillows with removable, machine-washable covers. This makes it easy to keep the pillow clean and hygienic, which is important for your baby’s health. Some pillows even come with spare covers, so you can replace the cover immediately after removing it for washing.
The pillow itself should also be easy to clean. Memory foam pillows, for example, can usually be spot cleaned with a mild detergent and left to air dry. However, it’s important to follow the manufacturer’s care instructions to ensure you don’t damage the pillow.
Remember, a clean pillow is not just about aesthetics – it’s also about health. Regularly washing the pillow can help to remove allergens and bacteria, promoting a healthier sleep environment for your baby.
When it comes to your child’s sleep, safety should always be your top priority. This is especially true when introducing a pillow into your child’s sleep routine.
A pillow should be firm enough to provide support but soft enough to be comfortable. A pillow that is too soft can pose a suffocation risk, while a pillow that is too firm may not provide the necessary comfort for a good night’s sleep.
The pillow should also fit comfortably within your child’s bed and should not take up too much space. A pillow that is too large can pose a suffocation risk, while a pillow that is too small may not provide adequate support.
It’s also important to regularly wash the pillow to keep it clean and free from bacteria and dust mites. This not only helps to maintain a healthy sleep environment but also extends the life of the pillow.
Finally, always monitor your child’s comfort and adjust as necessary. If your child seems uncomfortable or has difficulty sleeping, it may be worth trying a different pillow or adjusting the pillow’s position.
Choosing the best baby pillow involves considering a variety of factors, including your child’s age and size, the pillow’s material and construction, the type of fill, the size of the pillow, and whether it has hypoallergenic and easy care features.
By taking into account your child’s individual needs and preferences, you can find the perfect pillow to promote a dreamy, restful sleep. Remember, the best pillow for your child is one that provides comfort, support, and safety, helping them to get the quality sleep they need for healthy growth and development.
Recommended Baby Pillows
Below we recommend some models of baby pillows that offer quality and durability at a fair price. Our recommendations can not cover the whole range of baby pillows available on the market, but you should get an idea of what you need to choose. You can search for more models in online stores recommended below.
- BREATHABLE COMFORT: Breathable mesh sides increase airflow for a comfortable and fresh sleeping environment.
- DUAL FRESHNESS PROTECTION: Combining anti-allergy and anti-bacterial protection for a fresh, hygienic sleep.
- SOFT and SLIM: Little heads and necks need a different pillow height and support to adults, so we have designed this to be uniquely slim and softly supportive, perfect for little dreamers. Suitable for 12 months.
- Soft and Safe: Baby toddler pillow is made of 100% super-soft natural cotton surface and polyester fiber filling, no chemicals added.
- Size: Size for baby toddler pillow 33 x 46cm, packed with one cot pillow, and one natural cotton pillowcase.
- Recommend Age: From 6 months to 3 years old. This baby toddler pillow for cot is a great starter pillow for younger toddlers who do not really have the experience of using a pillow. The intention we design this flat, fluff and wide enough pillow is to ensure toddler's head not raise up too high but have a comfortable lift. And a 100% soft cotton pillowcase is included, no need of extra buy.
- 🛑 UK FIRE SAFETY REGULATIONS - All of our Foam Products are manufactured to comply with The UK (Fire & Safety) Regulations 1988 Law. Please check that any Foam Product you buy meet these Regulations, as many do not 🛑
- ✅ BEST WEDGE FOR ACID REFLUX & CONGESTION, Super Soft High Quality Foam Inner is designed to provide ultimate comfort for your little one, Contours perfectly to your child's body for maximum comfort and reduced tossing and turning.
- ✅ High Quality Foam with Quilted Washable Cover ALL SIZES
- DEVELOPED WITH EXPERTS: designed in partnership with French paediatrician Dr Maidenberg, this head support adapts perfectly to the baby's body shape whilst keeping a nice rounded head
- PATENTED: this unique and patented head support suits the shape of your baby's skull and ensures an even distribution of pressure across the head, whilst allowing total freedom of movement
- ORGANIC & MADE IN EUROPE: the Lovenest head support is made in Europe from breathable and Oeko-Tex certified organic cotton for maximum comfort and good ventilation around baby's head
- ★【SOFT& SUPPORTIVE】Our Toddler pillow Made of a 100% organic Cotton Cover and a 8D Hollow Siliconized Microfiber Filling, which is more breathable, soft, supportive and comfortable ,with the optimal amount of fluff for neck and head to avoiding common infancy problems like flat head syndrome
- ★【CHIROPRACTOR RECOMMENDED】This pillow and pillowcases are 100% Hypoallergenic, keep your kids safe and cozy, Tested on toddlers and proven to help boys and girls with sleeping better in bed, during a nap, at daycare, travel to grandma’s or traveling in a car or airplane
- ★【WASHABLE & DURABLE】Both of the kids pillow and pillowcase are machine washed and dried without worry not like cotton filling that will shrink or get lumpy after multiple washing ,it easy cleaning and care,superb sewing process to ensure durability and long use
- ✔ The newborn pillow is made of pure cotton, which is safe and guaranteed
- ✔ Baby pillows can improve your baby's sleep quality, and your baby sleeps better
- ✔ The baby pillow's routing is flat, not easy to crack, not easy to deform, and has better quality
- BABY TUMMY TIME – The cute penguin design of our tummy time pillow is packed with interactive features to help develop baby’s hand-eye coordination.
- INTERACTIVE - The baby-safe mirror helps your little one discover reflections for the first time, and baby will enjoy spending time on their tummy, building up muscles to help develop sitting and crawling.
- SUITABLE FROM BIRTH - Suitable from 0 months plus, your little one will spend countless hours of fun and development with this interactive baby pillow.
- COT PILLOW PACK - Pack of 2 cot bed pillows made with the perfect blend of softness and firmness to ensure a perfect night's sleep for your toddler
- PACKAGING - This package contains 2 pillow inserts in a poly bag, however due to vacuum packaging they might appear as one large pillow
- DIMENSIONS - Each toddler pillow measures 33 x 45 cm (13 x 18 Inches)
Last update on 2024-02-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API