How to Choose the Best Baby Pillow
How do you choose the best baby pillow? What you need to know when choosing the right pillow for your baby. Read our guide and make an informed choice.
As your baby grows, there will come a time when your little one will need a pillow to spend the night comfortably.
The best baby pillows are designed to give your baby a comfortable night’s sleep as long as possible.
This guide aims to provide you with everything you need to know about baby cushions. The information will be structured so that the choice of the right pillow for your child is much easier.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why not use a normal pillow for your baby
- 2 When it’s time for a pillow
- 3 The Best Baby Pillow: How to Choose
- 4 Recommended Baby Pillows
Why not use a normal pillow for your baby
If you have not heard of special baby pillows so far, you probably wonder why your baby can not sleep on a normal pillow.
A normal pillow is designed to provide support for the neck and head of an adult. A child does not have the same proportions as an adult, and the use of a normal pillow will put unnecessary pressure on his neck and shoulders. The resulting discomfort can lead to white nights and, in the worst case, to an incorrect posture.
Baby pillows are specially designed for the proportions of a small baby, allowing him to have a comfortable and restful sleep and allow the harmonious development of his body.
When it’s time for a pillow
There are many controversies about the best time the baby should start using a pillow. Most people think the best time is when your baby begins to use a normal bed around the age of 18-24 months.
Parents’ opinions, however, will vary a lot. Many parents will tell you that they used the baby pillows long before this age without any problems. Because each child develops and behaves differently, there seems to be no universal right moment in terms of starting to use the pillow for your little one.
Finally, as a parent, you will decide when it is the best time for the little one to start using a pillow. If you follow the baby carefully, you will see various clues indicating that he is ready to use a sleeping pillow. Be mindful of the following:
- The baby can not sleep unless you raise or support his head
- He is agitated at night due to discomfort
- He rests his head on a blanket or animal
- Look for a head on a couch on your couch or your bed
Another indicator is the child’s shoulders. Once they are broader than his head, he will probably feel more comfortable sleeping on a pillow than directly on the mattress.
The purpose of introducing a pillow into your child’s life is to rest more comfortable. If he sleeps very well without the pillow, let him be and follow the above clues to know when is the right time for a baby pillow.
The Best Baby Pillow: How to Choose
To choose the best pillow for your child, you will need to consider the criteria below.
Take into account the allergies of the little one
Let’s say your baby is allergic to wool. Of course you will not buy a baby pillow containing wool because it will aggravate his allergy.
Knowing and taking into account the materials to which the little one is allergic to will help you more easily identify the perfect pillow for him.
Many baby pillows provide a guarantee of satisfaction. This period may vary between 90 days and up to three years, depending on the product.
The warranty may vary from brand to brand, but should generally cover manufacturing defects, loose stitches, or premature deformation of the cushion. A longer warranty may be a good indicator of higher pillow quality because the manufacturer is willing to guarantee the product for a long time.
Firm or Soft Pillow
You’ll need to get a delicate balance between comfort and support. If you press on a pillow and it does not quickly recapture its initial form, it means it is too soft and it is not safe for your baby because it presents a choking hazard.
On the other hand, if you press on the pillow and it remains immobile, it may be too firm to provide a comfortable sleep. Although most baby pillows are designed to provide optimal support, it’s good to consider this too.
Pillow Cover Material
In most cases, the outer pillow cover for children is made of cotton. Keep in mind that this cotton can be normal or organic cotton. Organic cotton does not contain harmful toxins, bleaches and dyes commonly used in cotton fabrics.
Clearly, you do not want your baby to inhale industrial chemicals while sleeping. Organic baby pillow covers will be clearly marked in this regard. If you are not sure that a baby pillow uses organic materials, it is better to assume it doesn’t, so you can be safe.
The most used materials for baby pillow covers are: Cotton, Cotton blend with polyester or Synthetic fibres.
Density of Fabric
If you ever bought bed linen, then you definitely hit the term “fabric density”. The density of the fabric refers to the number of yarns used per square meter of material.
The higher the density, the better and the stronger the pillow will be. Children’s pillows with a high density of fabric are less rough and more comfortable to use than those with a lower density.
Cushion Filling Material
Under the pillow case is the material that keeps the baby’s head in a comfortable position.
Baby pillows can be made of various materials. From polyurethane foam to coconut fibre, you have a great variety of materials to choose from.
The most used materials for filling baby pillows are: puff, feathers, synthetic filling, foam or memory foam.
The above materials are the most commonly used materials for easy cleaning of the pillow. Be careful to choose a pillow with a stuffing that does not make noise when it moves inside the cover.
Materials such as buckwheat or certain synthetic fillings can make loud noises when the little one moves his head. These noises can awaken him from his sleep, which no parent wants him to do.
Is your child allergic to microbes, dust, mites, mould and others? Hypoallergenic pillows are made of materials that help reduce allergies. Many organic children’s pillows are naturally hypoallergenic. If the chosen pillow is not organic, then it will have to be clearly marked if it is hypoallergenic.
We all know that babies and young children are best able to get dirty. Whether the pillow gets dirty from the dirty fingers of the little ones, one thing is for sure, you have to wash the pillow.
Baby pillows can be cleaned in two ways, depending on how they are made.
Machine wash: Simply insert the pillow into the washing machine and wash it at a normal program. The baby cushion will go as clean as the day you bought it.
Detachable cover: The baby cushion has a detachable cover that protects the interior from leaks and spots. You will have to wash only the cover.
Recommended Baby Pillows
Below we recommend some models of baby pillows that offer quality and durability at a fair price. Our recommendations can not cover the whole range of baby pillows available on the market, but you should get an idea of what you need to choose. You can search for more models in online stores recommended below.
- 1 x Silentnight Safe Nights anti-allergy pillow, 40 x 60 cm
- Anti-allergy protection for added peace of mind whilst your little one sleep
- Suitable from 12+ months, filled with 100% hollowfibre
- Ergonomic head support. Contribution to the normal grow of the child's head, give the baby's beatiful round head.
- Material:Surface:Velvet, Inner:Memory Foam.Use quality material, good air permeability, no stimulation, no harm, the baby is more safe to use.
- Deodorant, anti bacterial, anti allergy, protect the baby's head and neck.The Pillow Is Designed To Prevents Positional Plagiocephaly ("FLAT HEAD SYNDROME")
- Luxurious baby pillow for newborn - superior comfort and support for your newborn's head, neck, back and body as a sleeping pillow and any time
- Baby pillow prevents flat head - our Scientifically proven foam to prevent flat head syndrome (plagiocephaly) ClevaFoam reduces pressure on cranium by up to 50% and increases support by up to 80%
- Restful night’s sleep - keeps the head and spine of your child in comfortable alignment thanks to the ergonomic design
- Washable: Jellycat soft toys is washable or simply wipe the baby soft toys 0-6 months with detergent, but do not bleach or dry clean
- Cute Design: Extra soft plush in a playful and floppies design, ears, nose and eyes are all very lovely, unique design and exquisite sewing, children's favorite and fun guaranteed
- Package: Package include one lovely soft elephant toy as picture shows, many colors available (grey/yellow/pink/blue/purple). Funny soft plush elephant sleeping pillows's size is height approx 23.7 inch
- Recommend Age: From 6 months to 3 years old. This baby toddler pillow for cot is a great starter pillow for younger toddlers who do not really have the experience of using a pillow. The intention we design this flat, fluff and wide enough pillow is to ensure toddler's head not raise up too high but have a comfortable lift. And a 100% soft cotton pillowcase is included, no need of extra buy.
- Scientific Height: This cot pillow with reasonable amount of filling can give toddler's spine, head and neck a healthy support. The thickness after pressing is about 2.5 cm.
- Soft and Safe: Baby toddler pillow is made of 100% super-soft natural cotton surface and poly cluster fiber filling, no chemicals added, hypoallergenic and safe for baby.
Last update on 2020-11-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API