How to Choose the Best Smart Plug Power Outlet
How do you choose the best smart plug outlet for your home? What functions and features should the best smart plug have to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Smart or “intelligent” devices seem to be increasingly present, if not more necessary in the lives of each of us. This is why humanity is headed in a sure direction: the smart home or the intelligent home.
Like today we have a smartphone and we could not imagine life without it, in the not too distant future we will not imagine a home without most of the “smart” facilities.
One seemingly small step toward obtaining a smart home is to purchase and install a smart plug or a “smart outlet”. The many advantages that such a plug outlet offers will convince you of the need to purchase one.
So find out how to choose the best smart plug outlet in the article below.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Are the Advantages of a Smart Plug Outlet?
- 2 How Do You Choose the Best Smart Electrical Outlet?
- 3 Recommended Smart Plug Power Outlets
What Are the Advantages of a Smart Plug Outlet?
You probably wonder what makes it worth the term “smart” outlet. Well, this socket does much more than allow you to connect to a power source. It gives you the possibility to control the devices connected to this outlet remotely through an internet connection and a special application. Besides, it also helps you to make significant savings in the power consumption.
You could find such an outlet very practical in situations where it is necessary to turn on or off the appliances from a distance. Let’s say you don’t remember whether or not you left your air conditioner open or your iron.
Or you may want to turn on some appliances in advance, such as the electric oven, to be already heated when you get home. You may have this level of control with the best smart plug.
You will also receive notifications on the phone about any electrical malfunction, and also you will be able to check the electrical consumption level of each device.
How Do You Choose the Best Smart Electrical Outlet?
Being a product that is gaining more and more popularity every day, it is normal for many models with more or less special functions to appear on the market.
Since the price of such a smart plug can sometimes reach even hundreds of pounds, you cannot afford to choose randomly. That is why it is very good to be informed about the smart plug, before you decide to buy a certain model.
To help you in your choice, we have prepared a shopping guide in which we present you what functions and features should the best smart outlet have to make it worth your money.
So, making your choice, consider the following important issues:
In order to be able to operate the smart outlet it must connect to the home Wi-Fi network through a Linux platform. This makes it possible for you to access it and control it remotely, as long as the home internet is functional and your control device is connected to the internet.
The thing to look out for is compatibility. You cannot use a smart plug at all if it is not compatible with your device. So, before you buy, check the operating systems (iOS, Android or Windows) that the smart plug is compatible with.
What Functions and Features Should the Best Smart Plug Have?
Control On Any Mobile Device
once the connection between the plug and the device is made you will have absolute control over its functionality, in the sense that you will be able to turn on or off access to the power source, thus managing to control the connected devices. Check beforehand that the smart socket you want can withstand the electrical load of the devices you want to connect.
the best smart plug outlet also gives you the opportunity to program the start-up and stop times. This feature can be useful if you know you will not be able to connect your phone to the internet to directly control the outlet.
High-performance devices have the ability to deliver a report after each start or stop so you can be sure that the action you ordered from your device was successfully executed.
When you encounter such electricity issues, you will receive a notification on the phone.
Measurement of Power Consumption
A function that allows you to check the energy consumption of each appliance in your home. All the data will be saved in an archive, and in this way you will be able to figure out which device consumes the most in the house. Basically you will be able to find out where the household problems are and try to solve them now.
We know that little ones are very attracted to such objects. Especially if there is a new object in the house, if it is illuminated and if he is told that he is not allowed to touch it, the child will feel very attracted to this outlet.
The best smart outlet, however, will be safe enough not to endanger the safety of the child if he has access to it.
The warranty of such a product must be of at least 2 years. A good manufacturer will provide you with this warranty period as well as the possibility to extend this period.
However, given that the technology is constantly evolving, over 2 years you will most likely want to replace your smart socket with a more efficient one that gives you more control options.
It is normal to be interested in the company that produces the best smart plug outlet. Even if we can’t name the best, we can give you some indicative examples of companies that have built a good reputation among users who have been satisfied with the performance of their devices.
Depending on the number of functions offered by their outlet, but also on the quality / price ratio, the most recommended brands are: TP-Link, D-Link, Edimax, Panasonic, or Fibaro.
Before buying a product, especially if you buy it online, we recommend that you consult the opinions of other buyers in order to have a better perspective on the quality and durability of smart plug outlet you want to buy.
Recommended Smart Plug Power Outlets
Taking into account the above advice, analyzing the available offer and buyer feedback, we can recommend below a few models of smart plug power outlets that offer excellent value for money.
- Amazon Smart Plug works with Alexa to add voice control to any electrical socket.
- Schedule lights, coffee machines and appliances to turn on and off automatically, or control them remotely when you’re away.
- Simple to set up and use: plug in, open the Alexa app and start using your voice.
- UPDATED DESIGN -- TECKIN smart plug has a triangular base that will not cover the device buttons. Slot with slide safety cover will prevent electric shock.
- EASY TO USE -- Just download the APP and connect to 2.4Ghz WiFi to control the device via your phone, no hub required.
- VOICE and REMOTE CONTROL -- Not only control your device by giving Alexa and Google home a voice command , but also remotely control your device by phone.
- Compatibility: Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant for Voice Control
- No Hub Required: Works with any Wi-Fi router without the need for a separate hub
- Remote Access: Control devices connected to the Smart Plug wherever you use the free Kasa app on your phone;
- 【Smart remote voice control】- compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Home and IFTTT, control your home appliances with Koogeek Wi-Fi Smart plug socket by simply giving voice commands to Amazon alexa，google assistant or IFTTT. No matter you need it help you to turn on the light or turn off the air condition. Just speak and it will do what you said.
- 【Control from anywhere】- with your smartphone using the free Koogeek Life app, you can remote control and monitor connected devices from anywhere. It’s like having a universal remote in your pocket. You can also turn devices on/off at different times to give the appearance that someone is at home, which avoids thieves if you live alone or going out for long time.Make your daily life or travel Safe and no worry.
- 【Keep life on schedule & timer】 - Set timers or countdowns to turn the connected device on or off at a preset time.You not only can connect devices to turn on light and water heater to welcome you coming back home and turned off when you fall asleep or go out, but also can set schedules to helps keeping power-hungry devices off.You will never don't worry forget turn off the electric appliance.
- Simple Installation - Simply plug it into your wall socket and then plug appliances into it as normal
- Easy to Control - The Hive App allows you to easily check and manage your appliances wherever you are
- Schedule Setting - Set up to 6 time slots a day through your Hive App
- Remote and Voice Control: Easily remote control your home appliance via"Smart Life"App. Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Home, you can turn on/off your device by speaking to a third party voice device. Ideally for the ones who needs easy access to control a device.
- Timer and Schedule: Create customized schedule/timer to your baking machine，coffee machine, lamp, ect. according to your time routine. This functionality not only simplifies your daily life, but also avoids unnecessary power consumption.
- User-friendly Design: The latest version base design perfectly fit into UK wall socket and won't interfere with the switch. In addition, smart plug works with any Wi-Fi router without the need of a separate hub.
Last update on 2020-06-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API