How to Choose the best Air Compressor
How do you choose the best air compressor for your home? What functions and features should the best air compressor have to fit your needs? Read our article to find out.
If you need to inflate large or heavy things such as car tires or air mattresses, or using compressed air tools such as dyeing machines or torque wrenches, then you need a high-performance air compressor.
You can also use compressed air from a nearby gas station or vulcanization, but if you want to use your own tools and prefer the convenience of your own garage, then you need to take over the purchase of an air compressor.
Table of Contents
Best Air Compressor: What to Look for
Air compressors have different sizes and capacities, design and portability being two important aspects. With enough models available, the right air compressor for you will depend on the type of operations you plan to use it. The selection criteria include the type of pump the compressor uses, its design and the pressure level at which it operates.
There are two types of compressor pumps, with oil or without oil. The type of pump chosen affects the required maintenance.
Compressors with oil-free pumps are more expensive than oil ones, but taking into account maintenance costs, both in money and in time, the long-term difference tends to be cancelled.
Oil pump compressors need periodic maintenance. By operating an oil reservoir, you will need to periodically check the oil level and replace it when necessary. Oil pump air compressors are quieter than oil-free ones.
When you want to buy the best air compressor you have to consider its size and portability. Because some models are very large, make sure you have enough space in the closet or garage where you can store it and move it with ease.
Some compressors are dedicated to small domestic projects, while others are designed for industrial use. If you put value on the diversity of a tool, you can find compressor models that offer in the package accessories such as paint or wash gun.
Most air compressors, regardless of size, are equipped with a handle and wheels for transportation. Compact bulk compressors owe some of their size to the oil tank.
Oil compressors are even heavier than oil-free. The more lighter the compressor, the easier it will be to carry. If portability is important to you, look for a wheel-drive model that weights less.
Compressor Flow and Pressure
The pressure level delivered by the compressor and the air flow determine its capability to work with various pneumatic tools. Air pressure and air flow determine the type of pneumatic tools that can be used with the compressor.
A compressor delivering a pressure of up to 6 bar and a flow rate of up to 150 l / min is a low pressure compressor. Those with values above about 12 bar and 300 l / minute are considered medium pressure compressors and should work with most pneumatic hand tools.
For pneumatic tools used in heavy duty operations you need a very powerful compressor on a case-by-case basis. Before purchasing, be aware of what requirements the tools you intend to use have and buy a compressor that supplies the required flow and pressure.
The decision regarding the best air compressor depends very much on the purpose of using it. Also consider the time you need to invest in maintaining the compressor to choose the type of pump you want. Thanks to the many available models, you will surely find the right product.
Recommended Air Compressors
Taking into account the above criteria, we recommend below some models of home air compressors that offer an excellent quality / price ratio.
- This fully automatic Cobra Air Tools Compressor includes a powerful 2 HP induction motor, which operates from a 13amp supply. Producing 5.7CFM of air displacement, this compressor brings a totally different dimension to the way you tackle projects without the use of electronic or manual power tools.
- This is for Home or Workshop; Aluminum cylinder head with cast iron cylinder gives added resistance to wear. Suitable for general- purpose workshop applications. Pump head directly coupled to heavy-duty induction motor for reliable and quiet operation.
- Welded tank complies with latest European standards. Fitted with fully automatic pressure cut-out switch with twin air outlet with Twin gauges displaying tank and working pressures.
- Portable air compressor
- Top brand
- Max pressure 145 Psi/ 10 bar
- 2.5HP 230V Single Phase Motor That Operates up to 10 Bar (150psi)
- 24 Litre Tank with 9.6CFM Air Displacement
- Integrated Hose Reel and Wheel Mounted with Transport Handle
- Power and portability
- Good volume output for general use
- Thermal motor protection overload
- 24L air tank with 115 PSI output
- 9.6 CFM air displacement
- Fully automatic on/off control
- CONVENIENT: forget the annoying trips to the petrol station just to top up the tyres. The compact and lightweight Air Hawk will save you time and money
- RAPID INFLATION: use either a 1500mAh Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery or 12V power pack to quickly inflate bike tyres, balls, airbeds or toys
- EASY TO USE: choose from 3 units of measurement (PSI, BAR, KPA), tap in the desired pressure using the highly accurate digital gauge and pull the trigger. Automatically stops when the desired pressure is reached.
Last update on 2020-06-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API