How to Choose the Best Video Surveillance Camera for Your Home
How do you choose the best video surveillance camera? What features and characteristics should the best surveillance camera have to fit to your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
The best video surveillance camera is primarily intended to protect things that matter to you. Video surveillance plays an important role in preventing and reducing theft. Nowadays, technological advances in the field coupled with wireless technology make it possible to monitor things almost everywhere.
Many modern surveillance camera models have built-in motion sensors and alerts that can send you email or SMS alerts when something happens.
Surveillance cameras allow you to watch your loved ones even when you are away from home so you can get in touch quickly if your baby or pet gets in trouble when you’re away.
In addition, a good surveillance camera helps identify intruders, which increases the success rate in cases of theft or violence or vandalism.
Table of Contents
Best Video Surveillance Camera: What to Look for
Because video surveillance is an important aspect of modern life, producing companies offer hundreds of options for surveillance systems specifically designed for home or office. For this reason, you may find it difficult to choose the right solution for you.
The best video surveillance camera offers a very good indoor resolution and the possibility of being used outdoor, and thanks to the wireless technology we will have fewer cables and more flexibility.
The aesthetics of modern design no longer forces you to place the camera in a hidden place (unless you want to hide it), and features such as night-time vision and motion sensors perfectly complement a 21st century gadget. Also, audio capabilities are important if you want to monitor a baby or a pet.
There are a multitude of forms available for security cameras, but the most common designs are bullet-shaped, domed or circular.
Most surveillance cameras come with grip and connection cables, but not all models include them in the sales package. Be sure before you buy the product that the chosen package includes the necessary accessories, otherwise you will have to buy them separately for an extra cost.
Resolutions of surveillance cameras vary from model to model, and you generally pay more for higher resolution. Before you buy a video surveillance camera think if you want night vision and if coloured image is important to you.
The average resolution of a surveillance camera is 640 x 480 pixels, but you can invest more for a clearer picture or a room with a greater distance for more efficient outdoor monitoring. Pick a HD or Full-HD camera to be sure that you can capture every detail.
Most indoor video surveillance cameras also include a microphone that is perfect for watching small children or pets. Some surveillance cameras offer 2-way audio communication by allowing you to talk to those near the device.
Outdoor security cameras usually do not include audio surveillance, but there are models that are fully equipped.
Many indoor camera models are wireless compatible, and you can use Wi-Fi to transmit real-time images to your mobile devices or computers.
Some manufacturers offer dedicated applications for monitoring while others have applications that can be accessed with the Internet browser. Most exterior camera models do not have wireless capabilities and require cable connection to the DVR or monitor for image tracking.
Surveillance camera for indoor or outdoor use
This option refers strictly to the location where you will use the video surveillance camera. If you use it exclusively as a baby monitor or for cat watching when you are out of town you can choose an indoor surveillance camera model that does not have the durability and weatherproofing of outdoor cameras.
Outdoor video surveillance cameras must withstand extreme temperature variations and be protected from rain and snow.
You must choose the right video surveillance camera according to what you want to get from your video surveillance system. When making an important decision about the safety of your loved ones, it is good to thoroughly document before making a purchase.
You can choose one of the video surveillance cameras recommended below for a safe choice of quality.
Best Video Surveillance Camera: Recommendations
Because when it comes to the security of your home or business, it is good to invest with your head, we have chosen for you some models of video surveillance cameras that offer quality and performance at a fair price.
- 【1-2 Minutes Easier WiFi Connect And Quick Installation】Upgrade, Easier and More Stable wireless connection, No worries about camera lose connection issue. With AP hotspot connection, it will be much easier to re-connect the camera without taking the camera from a height.
- 【HiSilicon Chip High-definition Better Than other camera】ieGeek security camera used the expensive Hisilicon chip which is the best in stability and clarity of image and video. With 2 Megapixel HD lens and 20 meters night vision distance, no matter day or night, you can see Clearer pictures and videos.
- 【Upgraded 3m Certified Power Adapter & IP66 Waterproof】ieGeek outdoor ip camera with full Aluminum Case and with Up to 3m power cable. Don't need to spend extra money on extension cords. Compared to IP65, it is more waterproof and dustproof, and you can even put the camera in shallow water. Strong and Robust to withstand rough weather for using outdoors. You will get MORE than you pay.
- 【1080P FHD with 2 Megapixel Lens】Wansview outdoor security camera is equiped with 2 Megapixel HD lens, which delivers crystal clear & smooth video day & night, protect your home wherever you are. Camera works with 2.4G WiFi（5G is not supported）
- 【Works with Alexa & Night Vision】Wansview home security camera works with Alexa, you could ask your Echo Show, Fire TV to show your wansview wifi camera; with 24pcs built-in infrared LED, night vision distance up to 20 meters, which gives you a piece of mind day & night.
- 【IP 65 Waterproof】 Wansview outdoor wifi camera is rated with IP65, the working temperature ranges from 14F to 104F (-10℃·40℃)made with aluminum alloy, it is vandalproof and can work well under harsh weather, even in the storm and snowy weather.
- [VIDEO ENCRYPTION TECHNOLOGY ] The unique encryption technology is adopted by this IP camera to save videos on micro SD card.Nobody can copy the SD card's video file through the card reader even when your camera or SD card is stolen.Video files in SD card can only be accessed by yourself in your own account.
- [STABLE WIFI CONNECTION ] Easy and Quick installation and stable 2.4GHz WIFI connection for Victure IP Camera,just follow steps in the manual with “IPC360” app .Adapt to iOS & Android,You can not only set several preset positions in each camera,but also add several cameras in different terminals
- [1080P NIGHT VISION & MOTION DETECTION] 10 pcs 850nm IR LEDs technology extend the viewing distance up to 30 feet in pitch dark to offer you a super night vision experience. Victure IP Camera can monitor movements then send notification to your mobile phone to prevent your home from invasion
- No Hub Required - Works with any Wi-Fi router without the need for a separate hub
- 1080P HD with Pan Tilt - 360 Degree rotational and 114 Degree vertical views with 1080p resolution and night vision up to 30 ft
- Two-way Audio - With built-in microphone and speaker, you can keep in touch with your family anytime, anywhere
- 🚀 Stable WiFi Connection: ieGeek WiFi camera uses QR code to scan and connect quickly and stably within 30 seconds, saving you time and effort. At the same time, using H.265 compression technology, it gives you clearer picture than H.264 at the same network speed.
- 🙊 1080P HD Night Vision & Clear Two-Way Audio: Choose to turn off night vision lights, it will not bring you glare even if the camera faces the glass; Supports intercom mode and hands-free mode, you can have a pleasant conversation with your family anytime, anywhere.
- 💃 Accurate Motion detecting & Motion tracking: Support customize alert time /Alert frequency /sensitivity level, without false alarm interference, giving you more accurate alarms. Support motion tracking at the same time, automatically capture the movement of things, giving you more secure protection.
- Extended battery life - 2-year battery life on two AA lithium batteries with a combination of two-way talk, Live View, and motion recording. Double the usage of the XT on a single set of batteries when recording video.
- 2-way audio - Talk to visitors through the Blink app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Customisable motion detection - Use activity zones to choose where motion is detected so you receive the alerts that matter.
Last update on 2020-06-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API