How to choose the best quality video projector
How do you choose a quality video projector? Choosing a video projector is a difficult task, especially if you want a quality product that is according to your needs.
Table of Contents
- 1 How do you choose the best video projector?
- 2 Recommended Video projectors
How do you choose the best video projector?
There are a number of questions that you have to ask yourself and depending on your answers and some technical specifications, you will choose the video projector that suits you.
Think first about what activities you want to accomplish. Do you use the projector as TV, HDTV, for various office presentations, PC monitors or console, didactic use? Depending on the tasks the video projector is going to accomplish, we will choose a device that will give you the ultimate visual experience!
For example, if you use the projector to play movies as the main activity, contrast is the most important part. In a home cinema system, the room will normally be darker, so emphasizing colours with high-quality contrast will give you an experience close to the cinema halls.
Instead, for a presentation in the office or in a classroom, where the room will be bright enough, it is important that the video projector has as many lumens as possible to compensate for the presence of light in the room.
The lumens value of a video projector
Lumens refer to the power of light as perceived by the human eye. Another unit of measure of this would be foot-Lambert (fL). The difference between ANSI lumen and foot-Lambert is that the second measurement system also takes into account the light projected from the projection screen back to those who look.
Foot-Lambert is a unit of measurement that you will find very rarely in any way in projector specifications, most manufacturers prefer to measure the power of light in ANSI lumen.
For buyers who purchase a projector strictly for home use, the number of lumens may be misleading. If you want to create a home cinema system, the number of lumens is not meant to be very high, the camera is already dark, the highlights can cause eye or headaches, even if initially a very “colorful” picture looks better than one With the “deleted” colors. A 2000 or 2500 lumens would be ideal for a home-projector in a dark space designed to project movies, matches, etc.
Instead, if you’re planning to use the projector in daylight without darkening the viewing room, consider buying a slightly larger number of lumens, around 3500-4000, keeping the screen width about 2 meters.
At a greater width, for daytime projection in halls and large projection screens, such as office presentations or university / school presentations, the number of lumens should exceed 5000.
Office or course halls are generally very large, with many Light sources and large windows so that a great deal of light is needed to compensate for these. A 5000-Lumen power projector also has a higher price, so you can choose a more affordable, somewhat weaker (regarding number of lumens) model, provided you can remove some the light sources during the presentation.
The contrast of the image
The contrast is given by the difference between the lightest color on the screen and the darkest color. Contrast can be static or native and dynamic.
You need to know that a dynamic contrast, even if impressive as the figure, can alter image quality in many situations, so it would not be surprising to see this feature disabled to those who have shutters or TVs with such equipment. My personal choice is static contrast.
Contrast of video projectors generally ranges between 2000/1 and 4000/1, all that is above these figures will also have an affordable price. Keep in mind, however, that a 4000/1 contrast will not be perceived by the human eye as twice as good as 2000/1, the human eye will only perceive it as a little better, A high constrast is useless.
The darker the room, the more contrast changes will be more obvious and easy to notice. So if you have a cinema home where you can create total darkness, buying a high-contrast projector can make sense, otherwise not!
The image aspect ratio
As for image appearance, the most common values are 4: 3, 16: 9 and 21: 9 aspect ratios. 4: 3 and 16: 9 are very popular values for aspect ratio and you will meet them in the technical specifications of many models of video projectors while 21: 9 is a rare aspect of the image.
Let me explain how the image is influenced. If the chosen projector has a native 16: 9 aspect ratio and the source outputs 4: 3 images, the images will be projected with a black bar on each image side, while a 4:e aspect ratio video projector that receives a 16: 9 format broadcast will display the images with a black bar at the bottom and top of the image.
My personal advice is to opt for a 16: 9 aspect ratio, this being the standard HD transmission format for which the TVs are opting, the Blu-Ray, 4K, as well as the game consoles.
Video projector image resolution
Typically, projectors have a native resolution and resolutions supported. The resolutions can be 1024 × 720, 1280 × 720, 1920 × 1080 or 3840 × 2160, representing the number of pixels to be displayed horizontally and vertically. The higher the number of pixels, the higher the image quality, the higher the native resolution, the better.
It still depends on what kind of content you plan to project. For movies or games, the resolution of 720 or 1080 pixels FullHD or 3840 × 2160 pixels UHD 4K is ideal, but if you plan to use the video projector to replace the monitor of a widescreen laptop, then 1280 x 768 is the ideal native resolution. This will allow running XGA and WXGA resolutions without losing any of the quality.
Throw ratio refers to the ratio of the distance from the projector lens to the projection screen and the width of the projected images. Throw ratio will tell you where to place the video projector to get the desired image size.
The throw ratio given by the manufacturer can be ignored to get images of other sizes, but they will have poor quality. So, make a pre-acquisition calculation so you do not have the surprise that the video projector can not be placed in such a way as to project the perfect image.
Correction of the trapeze
When the projector is not positioned exactly at the centre of the projection screen, because the image is projected from an angle, the trapezoid effect will appear, where part of the image is narrower and somewhat wider than normal.
Video projectors have settings to correct this trapeze effect. The trapezoidal correction function can be manual or automatic. In general, image correction is only vertical, but you can also find devices that offer the option to correct the horizontal trapezoid.
Keep in mind that such a trapezoidal correction, whether vertical or horizontal, alters image quality, for the most demanding can be visible, for others not.
The lens shift function that moves the projection lens is an alternative to trapezoid correction, the preferred alternative because it does not alter the image or its quality at all. As with the trapezoid correction, there is a horizontal or vertical version where the lens moves until the image is perfect. The lens travel function can be manual or automated.
Keep in mind that the endowment with such a function will be reflected in the price of the device, so if the budget is a small one, thank the trapeze correction, if the budget allows you, lens shift is good not to miss the equipment of a video projector.
Video projector lamp
The lamp of a video projector is the most expensive consumable, and the one you will change most often. Manufacturers generally indicate lamps have a lifetime of several thousand hours. After that number of hours, the brightness of the lamp decreases by half.
It is good to keep in mind, however, before the lamp model integrates each model and what is its price, thus calculating the maintenance costs.
Many models benefit from an Eco function that increases the life of the lamp.
About the zoom we all know, but when it comes to the zoom function of an image designer, the function does not prove to be useful too often from my point of view. Most of the video projectors on the market have such a function that you are unlikely to use if the projector is mounted at the correct distance.
The price of a video projector
The price and maintenance costs of a video projector depend, of course, on the features and characteristics that it will have. When you decide to make such a purchase, do a little online research, most of the stores have all sorts of filters that you can set based on budget and preference, so you have a list of several models of projectors Meet your criteria.
Consider also any accessories that need to be purchased with the projector, accessories such as the screen or a projector attachment system. If some years ago the price of a video projector might seem exorbitant for an average man, today you can find video projectors with good features at more than decent prices, under 500 pounds.
Tips and Conclusions
The place where the video projector is to be mounted plays an important role. So you can figure out the extra features you want. You may need zooming, trapezoidal correction or lens shift, analyse this aspect before purchasing. Think about what size you want your projected image to be, where you want to mount the video projector, the projection screen, and see if you have the space needed for the projector to work in optimum conditions without using its extra features.
For an enjoyable experience I recommend buying a quality screen so you do not have to worry about it, preferably gray. Whatever functions or specifications you choose for the purchased video projector, it is important that they fit your needs exactly. Make an intelligent purchase!
Recommended Video projectors
Combining the above functions and choosing intelligently we can recommend some models of video projectors that offer an excellent quality / price ratio.
- The bright projector you need:XuanPad leading Projector is the ideal projector for home entertainment,added an extra 20% lumen to 2400 lumen, brighter and clearer than other comparable projectors,provide you with A premium private cinema.
- Enjoy the great screen:The large projection screen of 32-176 inch can easily adjust the size according to the size you need. Watch a cool movie on the large screen, listen to a concert you love or play a game cheerfully, and feel the immersive pleasure.
- Revolutionary upgrade:New cooling design greatly reduce the fan noise,Providing the unique 55000 hours super long lamp life and unprecedented experience for you.
- 👍 2018 UPGRADED (+20% BRIGHTNESS) PROJECTOR 🔥: This personal video projector has been upgraded this year to better meet the demands of the modern market. With 20% more image brightness compared with the typical projector, as well as other notable specs such as full HD support and a 40,000 hour lamp life, this easy-to-operate and easy-to-carry four-inch mini LCD projector is real value for money.
- 👍 MULTIPLE MULTIMEDIA ACCESSIBILITY 🔥: This compact video projector is equipped with multiple ports for ease of use, including a built-in HDMI, USB, TF Card, VGA and AV interface. You can also connect this digital video projector to an Fire TV stick directly, as well as game consoles, PCs, laptops, etc. However, to connect with smartphones, iPads and Macs, you'll need to purchase a separate adapter.
- 👍 THE IDEAL HOME THEATER PROJECTOR 🔥: You can now set up a theater in your own home to watch movies and TV shows, view photo slides and play video games. For the perfect viewing conditions, use the projector in a dark room. For better sound quality, pair the projector with your preferred external speaker.
- 2018 LEADING PROJECTION TECHNOLOGY -- ELEPHAS adopt Super Color Technology for this video projector delivers Superior Picture Color. 800x480p native resolution, max support 1080p. With +70% brightness compared with typical projectors, Aspect Ratio:16:9 / 4:3 and 1000:1 Contrast. You can enjoy sharp picture in dark environment.
- ENJOY YOUR PORTABLE HOME THEATER -- This Mini LED Projector is Light Weight and Simple Operation. Ideal for Home Entertainment, turns your life into minimalist style. Such as: Movie Time, Parties, Sports Events, TV Series and Video Games. Perfect for you to share happy hours with your family and friends.
- MULTIPLE DEVICES CONNECTION -- This home movie projector equipped with multiple ports, including AV / VGA / USB / SD / HDMI interface. You may connect it to PC / Smartphone / Tablet / DVD / PS3 / Xbox / TV box / U-disk / hard disk. Built-in speaker. (Does not support Dolby sound)
- 🌊2018 UPGRADED TECHNOLOGY💦：ELEPHAS Newest YG600 HD Video Projector utilizes the upgraded LED light source and TFT LCD display technology, which significantly reduces light attenuation. Comparing to other ordinary LCD movie projector, it provides you 50% brighter brightness and 3000 : 1 Contrast Ratio.
- 🌊BIG SCREEN EXPERIENCE💦： The Projection size is 44 - 200 inches with distance 1.5m - 5.6m. The best viewing distance is 2.5m and the projection size is 98 inches. The Native Resolution is 1280*800 pixels and it supports highest 1080p. It's easy to set up and adjust the screen size.
- 🌊REDUCED NOISE AND LONG LAMP LIFE💦： With powerful cooling system design and innovative materials applied, ELEPHAS LED Projector makes the noise of the fan only half as loud as the other projectors. The LED lamp life is extended to 30,000 hours, which means you can use it more than 10 years.
- 70% More Brightness: Z400 gives 70% more brightness than similar projectors sold in market, providing crystal clear and lifelike images with rich details when watching world cup.
- 80% Reduced Noise: Enhanced cooling system produces incredible low noise, creating a comfortable movie night for your family. For optimal results, please connect to a Bluetooth speaker. Note: The projector doesn't support Dolby Sound.
- 130" Large Screen: An excellent ultra-big screen from 50" to 130" with 5ft to 13ft projection distance, the recommended screen size is 100" with projection distance of 8ft.
- 🌻【DYNAMIC ROBUST PROJECTOR】MStar Advanced Color Engine delivers a fully HD crystal-clear visuals and vibrant image quality with 1920x1080 resolution, 2000:1 contrast at 170-degree wide-viewing angles. LEISURE 410 Projector is the most affordable projector with smooth picture and crisp audio. Exclusive enjoyment is within touch.
- 🌻【HOME THEATER PROJECTOR】Ordering a LEISURE 410 Projector is buying a portable cinema. You can simply magic your house into a cinema for immersive enjoyment with the crowd or intimate sharing for both anecdotes and secrets with your closest friends or families. Laughing away the cheerful moments or chewing the sweet bitterness from the couch. Big screen is on the go.
- 🌻【MULTIMEDIA PORTABLE PROJECTOR】 LEISURE 410 Projector is exactly the perfect solution for a wide variety of inputs includes but not limited to HDIMI, VGA, AV, USB and Micro SD, Amazon Fire TV Stick, smartphone, laptop, PS3, PS4, X-Box ONE or Wii. Prepare yourself for the unlimited and raging entertainment, movies, sports, documentaries, exercise and more. Ultra fun is at your fingertip.
Last update on 2018-10-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API