How to choose the best quality video projector
How do you choose a quality video projector? Choosing a video projector is a difficult task, especially if you want a quality product that is according to your needs.
Table of Contents
- 1 How do you choose the best video projector?
- 2 Recommended Video projectors
How do you choose the best video projector?
There are a number of questions that you have to ask yourself and depending on your answers and some technical specifications, you will choose the video projector that suits you.
Think first about what activities you want to accomplish. Do you use the projector as TV, HDTV, for various office presentations, PC monitors or console, didactic use? Depending on the tasks the video projector is going to accomplish, we will choose a device that will give you the ultimate visual experience!
For example, if you use the projector to play movies as the main activity, contrast is the most important part. In a home cinema system, the room will normally be darker, so emphasizing colours with high-quality contrast will give you an experience close to the cinema halls.
Instead, for a presentation in the office or in a classroom, where the room will be bright enough, it is important that the video projector has as many lumens as possible to compensate for the presence of light in the room.
The lumens value of a video projector
Lumens refer to the power of light as perceived by the human eye. Another unit of measure of this would be foot-Lambert (fL). The difference between ANSI lumen and foot-Lambert is that the second measurement system also takes into account the light projected from the projection screen back to those who look.
Foot-Lambert is a unit of measurement that you will find very rarely in any way in projector specifications, most manufacturers prefer to measure the power of light in ANSI lumen.
For buyers who purchase a projector strictly for home use, the number of lumens may be misleading. If you want to create a home cinema system, the number of lumens is not meant to be very high, the camera is already dark, the highlights can cause eye or headaches, even if initially a very “colorful” picture looks better than one With the “deleted” colors. A 2000 or 2500 lumens would be ideal for a home-projector in a dark space designed to project movies, matches, etc.
Instead, if you’re planning to use the projector in daylight without darkening the viewing room, consider buying a slightly larger number of lumens, around 3500-4000, keeping the screen width about 2 meters.
At a greater width, for daytime projection in halls and large projection screens, such as office presentations or university / school presentations, the number of lumens should exceed 5000.
Office or course halls are generally very large, with many Light sources and large windows so that a great deal of light is needed to compensate for these. A 5000-Lumen power projector also has a higher price, so you can choose a more affordable, somewhat weaker (regarding number of lumens) model, provided you can remove some the light sources during the presentation.
The contrast of the image
The contrast is given by the difference between the lightest color on the screen and the darkest color. Contrast can be static or native and dynamic.
You need to know that a dynamic contrast, even if impressive as the figure, can alter image quality in many situations, so it would not be surprising to see this feature disabled to those who have shutters or TVs with such equipment. My personal choice is static contrast.
Contrast of video projectors generally ranges between 2000/1 and 4000/1, all that is above these figures will also have an affordable price. Keep in mind, however, that a 4000/1 contrast will not be perceived by the human eye as twice as good as 2000/1, the human eye will only perceive it as a little better, A high constrast is useless.
The darker the room, the more contrast changes will be more obvious and easy to notice. So if you have a cinema home where you can create total darkness, buying a high-contrast projector can make sense, otherwise not!
The image aspect ratio
As for image appearance, the most common values are 4: 3, 16: 9 and 21: 9 aspect ratios. 4: 3 and 16: 9 are very popular values for aspect ratio and you will meet them in the technical specifications of many models of video projectors while 21: 9 is a rare aspect of the image.
Let me explain how the image is influenced. If the chosen projector has a native 16: 9 aspect ratio and the source outputs 4: 3 images, the images will be projected with a black bar on each image side, while a 4:e aspect ratio video projector that receives a 16: 9 format broadcast will display the images with a black bar at the bottom and top of the image.
My personal advice is to opt for a 16: 9 aspect ratio, this being the standard HD transmission format for which the TVs are opting, the Blu-Ray, 4K, as well as the game consoles.
Video projector image resolution
Typically, projectors have a native resolution and resolutions supported. The resolutions can be 1024 × 720, 1280 × 720, 1920 × 1080 or 3840 × 2160, representing the number of pixels to be displayed horizontally and vertically. The higher the number of pixels, the higher the image quality, the higher the native resolution, the better.
It still depends on what kind of content you plan to project. For movies or games, the resolution of 720 or 1080 pixels FullHD or 3840 × 2160 pixels UHD 4K is ideal, but if you plan to use the video projector to replace the monitor of a widescreen laptop, then 1280 x 768 is the ideal native resolution. This will allow running XGA and WXGA resolutions without losing any of the quality.
Throw ratio refers to the ratio of the distance from the projector lens to the projection screen and the width of the projected images. Throw ratio will tell you where to place the video projector to get the desired image size.
The throw ratio given by the manufacturer can be ignored to get images of other sizes, but they will have poor quality. So, make a pre-acquisition calculation so you do not have the surprise that the video projector can not be placed in such a way as to project the perfect image.
Correction of the trapeze
When the projector is not positioned exactly at the centre of the projection screen, because the image is projected from an angle, the trapezoid effect will appear, where part of the image is narrower and somewhat wider than normal.
Video projectors have settings to correct this trapeze effect. The trapezoidal correction function can be manual or automatic. In general, image correction is only vertical, but you can also find devices that offer the option to correct the horizontal trapezoid.
Keep in mind that such a trapezoidal correction, whether vertical or horizontal, alters image quality, for the most demanding can be visible, for others not.
The lens shift function that moves the projection lens is an alternative to trapezoid correction, the preferred alternative because it does not alter the image or its quality at all. As with the trapezoid correction, there is a horizontal or vertical version where the lens moves until the image is perfect. The lens travel function can be manual or automated.
Keep in mind that the endowment with such a function will be reflected in the price of the device, so if the budget is a small one, thank the trapeze correction, if the budget allows you, lens shift is good not to miss the equipment of a video projector.
Video projector lamp
The lamp of a video projector is the most expensive consumable, and the one you will change most often. Manufacturers generally indicate lamps have a lifetime of several thousand hours. After that number of hours, the brightness of the lamp decreases by half.
It is good to keep in mind, however, before the lamp model integrates each model and what is its price, thus calculating the maintenance costs.
Many models benefit from an Eco function that increases the life of the lamp.
About the zoom we all know, but when it comes to the zoom function of an image designer, the function does not prove to be useful too often from my point of view. Most of the video projectors on the market have such a function that you are unlikely to use if the projector is mounted at the correct distance.
The price of a video projector
The price and maintenance costs of a video projector depend, of course, on the features and characteristics that it will have. When you decide to make such a purchase, do a little online research, most of the stores have all sorts of filters that you can set based on budget and preference, so you have a list of several models of projectors Meet your criteria.
Consider also any accessories that need to be purchased with the projector, accessories such as the screen or a projector attachment system. If some years ago the price of a video projector might seem exorbitant for an average man, today you can find video projectors with good features at more than decent prices, under 500 pounds.
Tips and Conclusions
The place where the video projector is to be mounted plays an important role. So you can figure out the extra features you want. You may need zooming, trapezoidal correction or lens shift, analyse this aspect before purchasing. Think about what size you want your projected image to be, where you want to mount the video projector, the projection screen, and see if you have the space needed for the projector to work in optimum conditions without using its extra features.
For an enjoyable experience I recommend buying a quality screen so you do not have to worry about it, preferably gray. Whatever functions or specifications you choose for the purchased video projector, it is important that they fit your needs exactly. Make an intelligent purchase!
Recommended Video projectors
Combining the above functions and choosing intelligently we can recommend some models of video projectors that offer an excellent quality / price ratio.
- ENJOY YOUR PORTABLE HOME THEATER --- ELEPHAS YG400 Mini LED Projector is Light Weight and Simple Operation. Ideal for Home Entertainment as: Movie Time, Parties, Sports Events, TV Series and Video Games, turns your life into minimalist style. Perfect for you to share happy hours with your family and friends.
- LEADING PROJECTION TECHNOLOGY --- Super Color Technology of this video projector delivers Superior Picture Color. The projection size is about 50"~130". 800x480p native resolution. Aspect Ratio:16:9 / 4:3 and 1000:1 Contrast. Can provide sharp picture in dark environment.(Does not support Dolby sound)
- MULTIPLE DEVICES CONNECTION --- This home projector provide AV / VGA / USB / SD / HDMI interface. You may connect it to your PC / Smartphone / Tablet / DVD / PS3 / Xbox / TV box / U-disk / hard disk. Built-in speaker. AV and HDMI cables are included in the package.
- LOW ENERGY CONSERVATION --- Upgraded LED lighting provide 1600 luminous efficiency. Low Power Consumption and Durable, latest smart ECO lamp care technology ensure the energy saving up to 70% and long lasting lamp life for more than 30000 hrs. High cooling efficiency and low fans noise.
- HASSLE-FREE ELEPHAS WARRANTY --- This movie projector comes with full 36-months warranty. If You're not completely satisfied with the order, please contact us, and you'll be offered a refund or replacement alternatively within the first 3 months. Absolutely Risk-free purchase.
- LATEST LED TECHNOLOGY ELEPHAS ET20 LED Projector Provide 1500 luminous efficiency LED projection, 50% brighter than ordinary 1000 lumens projectors, with vivid color and abundant details. Native Resolution: 800 x 480P. 16:9 Wide Screen, Maximum 130" Projection Size, capable for most applications like Enjoying Movies or Family Videos, Watching Football Matchs, Playing Video Games or Parties Activies etc.
- PORTABLE COMPACT DESIGN This Mini LED Projector is small size as 7.35 x 5.87 x 3.03 inchs, light weight and easy to be carried to anywhere. Suitable for you to share Fun and Happiness with your Family and Friends.(We recommend another better projector Asin: B074TC6DZ6)
- HOME MULTIFUNCTIONAL ENTERTAINMENT A Perfect Visual Experience for Parties, Home Cinema, TV Shows, Football Nights, Video Games, Backyard Night Movies, Karaok, Outdoor Activities, Small-Room Meetings etc. NOT suitable for PPT, NOT recommended for business presentation, school education(Does not support Dolby sound)
- MULTIMEDIA INTERFACES Free HDMI cable. Support HDMI / VGA / AV / TV / USB / SD, to connect your devices like DVD players, laptops, desktops, TV set-top box, smartphones, tablets and gaming consoles etc.(Does not support any Dolby sound)
- HIGH QUALITY ASSURANCE & WARRANTY High Efficiency Ventilation Design, largely upgraded the Stability and Durability, Low LED Power Comsumption. FULL ELEPHAS GUARANTEE for 2 Year Warranty. Hassle-free Return in first 2 months. Premium Customer Services and Lifetime Supports, all questions or issues will be responded within 24 hrs.
- Product Features: 2018 Upgraded + 10% Lumens, image contrast ratio 2000:1, supports max 1080P Full HD, 40,000 hours lamp life. 4 Inch mini LCD projector, easy to carry and operate. Display Size from 32 to 176 Inches, with the projection distance from 1.5 to 5 Meters. Native resolution 800*480, aspect ratio 16: 9 or 4: 3.
- Multimedia Connection: HDMI / USB / TF Card / VGA / AV Interface allows you to connect DR.Q 1800 Lumens projector directly with Fire TV Stick / Game Console / PC / Laptop / TV / Video Camera / DVD and LD Player etc. With iOS device (Mac not included) you need Lightning HDMI adapter, with Android device you need Micro USB to HDMI MHL adapter (not included in the product package).
- Home Theater Projector: You can enjoy perfect entertainment with your family members and friends at home, such as movie, TV, video, game and photos. We recommend you to use the projector in a dark room, set the projector and projection screen correctly, adjust the projection distance and lens to get the picture in focus.
- Lighter and Quieter Projector: An innovative cooling system is installed in the projector, which makes the noise of the fan only half as loud as the other projectors. We recommend you to hang the projector under the ceiling, or place at a distant distance to reduce noise.
- 3 year warranty: 30 days full refund guarantee. If you are not totally satisfied with your order, do not hesitate to contact us immediately. We are always at your disposal to offer you a satisfactory solution.
- 2200 Lumen: QKK mini home cinema projector, image contrast ratio 2000: 1, supports maximum 1080P Full HD. 4 inch projector, easy to carry and operate. Projection image size 32 - 170 "(1 - 5 meters), native resolution 800 * 480, aspect ratio 16: 9 or 4: 3.
- Home Theater Entertainment: With the 2200 Lumen projector you can enjoy wonderful home entertainment freely such as film, video, game, photos, TV box or stick at home or in the garden. QKK projector is not suitable for PPT and Business Presentation, and you should use this projector in a dark room.
- Interface: HDMI, VGA, USB x 2, SD, AV and headphone interface. Direct connection to devices which have the HDMI, VGA or AV output, and SD card, USB storage device, headphone and external speaker. To connect with smart phone, tablet or Mac you should use additional cables (not included in the packaging).
- Portable device: Set the projection distance based on your desired projection size and adjust the lens until the image is in focus, and the best distance should be 3 meters. The fan noise is much quieter than the other projector as it's in the low frequency, which makes you more comfortable upon using the projector.
- Warranty: 3 years warranty. If you have any problem with the product, or questions upon using the device, please email us freely. We are always ready to offer you help.
- Create the big screen experience: From box sets to business presentations, capture everyone's attention
- Bright even with ambient light: Equally high White and Colour Light Output of 3,300 lumens
- Affordable, high-tech equipment: Enjoy this SVGA projector