How to Choose the Best Dash Camera for Your Car
How do you choose the best dash video camera? What features and functions must have the ideal dash camera to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Car video dash cameras are welcome in any vehicle for a bunch of reasons. Video recordings can help in the event of an accident providing clear evidence of the incident, especially against those who do not declare the truth or want to sue insurance companies.
In addition, impact and motion sensors can even record when you are not in the car. Besides all this, you can use the car dash camera and record the trip in a picturesque area.
Table of Contents
The Best Dash Camera: What to Look for
There are many important things to keep in mind when choosing the best dash camera. Each model is a bit different from another, and some of them have some features that you do not find in competing models.
Dash video cameras vary in price and usually the price reflects the number and quality of the present functions.
Cheap models have few features and offer lower resolution, while more expensive models usually offer advanced features such as Wi-Fi connectivity, GPS antenna, wider shooting angle, and a better image sensor.
A dash camera with HD sensor means you can capture images with perfect details. A high definition car camera offers a minimum resolution of 720p, thus distinguishing the registration number of the machines involved in an accident or the scenic landscape of a beautiful road.
Many models offer HD of Full-HD recording, but check that the resolution offered is 720p and 1080p (Full HD), not just 480p. Some dash camera models additionally offer the ability to record better images at night or in areas with low luminosity.
The best car camera usually records directly on a removable SD card and/or uses loop recording. For cameras that do not record in the loop, but offer the option of replacing the storage media, you will need to manage your storage space, it is necessary to review the filming and delete those that are not needed to free up storage space.
Cameras using loop recording will automatically record new videos over old files available in chronological order. In this case, you should not delete or format the SD card manually.
For sequences that you do not want deleted, you can mark them specially and will not be overwritten in the recording loop. This is useful when you want to keep a specific incident and want to continue recording.
Some models of dash cameras are equipped with impact and motion sensors. These sensors automatically start recording when they detect the motion, and in case of impact, the recording continues after the incident for a predefined interval.
In addition, it marks the event in the recording history to be able to review it later. This feature is very useful when you need filmed evidence of an incident and prevent it from overwriting.
In addition to video recording, there are a wealth of advanced features that can be equipped with the best car dash camera.
One of them is the GPS function. In addition to helping you get to a certain location, the car’s GPS feature will record the route, location, and speed in the video file. This feature will help you visualize your route history and driving speeds even if you were not on board the car.
In addition, it will remember your favourite routes and allow you to schedule them. The only downside is the bigger size of the car camera to incorporate the GPS antenna, which may be unpleasant if you want discreet recording of the images.
Other advanced features depend on the budget allocated for the acquisition. Here we can list NFC tags and built-in Wi-Fi connectivity for traffic alerts. Although a simple camera, simply recording movies, is often enough, these extra features add extra comfort and ease of use.
The best dash camera will provide you with the best features and capabilities. HD resolution will guarantee you a shot with detailed images, while recording in the loop ensures that you record constantly and you will not miss any important moment.
Dash cameras can watch the car even when you’re not in it using motion and impact sensors as well as the GPS function that can record valuable precious information about that shot.
Whether you want a simple dash camera or an advanced model, the extensive range of models on the market ensures that you will definitely find a model according to your needs and desires.
Recommended Dash Video Cameras
Taking into account the criteria outlined above, but also the opinions of the users, we present you some models of dash cameras that offer excellent quality / price ratio.
- FHD 1080P Resolution & 3.0" Screen: Full HD 1920X1080P at 30 fps video enable to capture every road conditions and license plates details. 3" Super large LCD Display that can shows the real-time image, helps you see every details as clear as possible when playing back.
- Superior Night Vision Dash Camera: 6 unique infrared LED fill lights allows the dash cam to perform optimally in low light situations. WDR technology allows for the best night video.
- 170° Wide Angle Dash Cam & 6G Lens : Combined with Sony sensor and 6 glass lens and 170 Degree wide angle lens allows COMS get more clear images. High-performance chipset which enables you to take up to 1080P 30fps full HD videos and 12MP pictures.
- 【Front and Rear Dual Camera】Equipped with 1080P resolution front camera and HDMI rear camera, Peztio dash cam vividly captures the license plates and road signs. 170° front and 130° rear camera eliminate the blind spots of your vision, for further safety.
- 【Full HD 1080P & 3 Inch IPS Screen】The car dash camera supports real-time display and replay on the screen without complicated SD card installation and uninstallation. Simplified operation interface and icons ensure your quick recognition and intuitive operation, easy to use.
- 【Superb Night Vision & WDR Tech】The combination of f1.8 aperture and WDR technology enhances the clarity of images. Peztio car camera makes night shots brighter and prevents overexposure under strong light, obtains crystal-clear recording.
- HIGH QUALITY 1080P RECORDINGS AT 30FPS AND 140-DEGREE WIDE ANGLE: The 312GW offers 1080p HD recording capabilities at 30 frames per second through a 6-element glass lens. The 140-degree wide angle provides high quality footage for any insurance claim.
- WIFI CONNECTIVITY AND SMARTPHONE APP: The Wi-Fi feature in enables you to download and share video and photo files directly from the dash cam to your phone or tablet.
- GPS TO TRACK YOUR JOURNEY: The Nextbase 312GW features a GPS mount to record important location and speed data for your Dash Cam. This means you can track your journey on Google Maps and pinpoint exactly where an incident has occurred, which can be crucial in an insurance claim.
- 【1080P FULL HD & 170°WIDE ANGLE】 Excellent 1080P Full HD resolution with 170°wide angle lens provides you with an outstanding picture quality with a wider field of vision effectively reducing blind spots, true record of every driving process.
- 【SUPER NIGHT VISION】 Equipped with the Advanced Sensor and F1.8 wide aperture, gathers more light and eliminates the need for an auxiliary light source even in low-light environments, making it easy to obtain sharp, color-accurate images, brings you a brighter night without as much light. Can insure clarity of image, even in the evenings.
- 【G-SENSOR & EMERGENCY ACCIDENT LOCK】 The built-in G-sensor technology automatically save footage in the emergency events for you, when collision or crash happens, preventing the authentic video sources from deleting. You can rest assured that your dash cam will capture critical details whether you are driving or letting it monitor your parked vehicle.
- 【Full HD 1080P】CE680 dash cam is made of cost-effective Novatech HD chipset and 120 degrees A+ grade lens,1080P HD image quality is good even in low illumination.120 degrees Wide angle allows you to see 3 lanes of traffic,record valid evidence when a car accident occurs.1.5" LCD can show the realtime image to help you adjust installation angle, also supports playback to check records when you need.
- 【Essential Functions】Smart gravity sensor lock, motion detection, loop recording, timestamp. With these functions, the recording of CE680 dash cam is timely, effective and safe. Car accidents scene can be restored well and faking an accident to claim for compensation can be avoided. ad, help negate any false claims
- 【Unobtrusive and Tiny Size】CE680 dash cam is just 2.75*1.97*0.79 inches, very compact design, hiding behind your mirror, so doesn't take up much space or cause obstruction when driving.
- 【1080P FULL HD DASH CAM】Simultaneous recording with Super High Resolution 1080P FHD Lens, and 3" large LCD Screen deliver clearer videos&images and replay the key moment even when high speed driving.
- 【170° SUPER WIDE ANGLE】This car driving recorder employs 170°super wide angle lens. Ultra-wide field of view reduces the blind spots and captures more details, to reserve the real scene.
- 【BUILT IN G-SENSOR】With built-in G-sensor, apeman dashboard camera can automatically detect a sudden shake/collision and lock the footage to prevent the video from being overwritten even in loop recording. Accident scene can be truly restored.
Last update on 2019-03-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API