How to Choose the Best Dash Camera for Your Car
How do you choose the best dash video camera? What features and functions must have the ideal dash camera to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Car video dash cameras are welcome in any vehicle for a bunch of reasons. Video recordings can help in the event of an accident providing clear evidence of the incident, especially against those who do not declare the truth or want to sue insurance companies.
In addition, impact and motion sensors can even record when you are not in the car. Besides all this, you can use the car dash camera and record the trip in a picturesque area.
Table of Contents
The Best Dash Camera: What to Look for
There are many important things to keep in mind when choosing the best dash camera. Each model is a bit different from another, and some of them have some features that you do not find in competing models.
Dash video cameras vary in price and usually the price reflects the number and quality of the present functions.
Cheap models have few features and offer lower resolution, while more expensive models usually offer advanced features such as Wi-Fi connectivity, GPS antenna, wider shooting angle, and a better image sensor.
A dash camera with HD sensor means you can capture images with perfect details. A high definition car camera offers a minimum resolution of 720p, thus distinguishing the registration number of the machines involved in an accident or the scenic landscape of a beautiful road.
Many models offer HD of Full-HD recording, but check that the resolution offered is 720p and 1080p (Full HD), not just 480p. Some dash camera models additionally offer the ability to record better images at night or in areas with low luminosity.
The best car camera usually records directly on a removable SD card and/or uses loop recording. For cameras that do not record in the loop, but offer the option of replacing the storage media, you will need to manage your storage space, it is necessary to review the filming and delete those that are not needed to free up storage space.
Cameras using loop recording will automatically record new videos over old files available in chronological order. In this case, you should not delete or format the SD card manually.
For sequences that you do not want deleted, you can mark them specially and will not be overwritten in the recording loop. This is useful when you want to keep a specific incident and want to continue recording.
Some models of dash cameras are equipped with impact and motion sensors. These sensors automatically start recording when they detect the motion, and in case of impact, the recording continues after the incident for a predefined interval.
In addition, it marks the event in the recording history to be able to review it later. This feature is very useful when you need filmed evidence of an incident and prevent it from overwriting.
In addition to video recording, there are a wealth of advanced features that can be equipped with the best car dash camera.
One of them is the GPS function. In addition to helping you get to a certain location, the car’s GPS feature will record the route, location, and speed in the video file. This feature will help you visualize your route history and driving speeds even if you were not on board the car.
In addition, it will remember your favourite routes and allow you to schedule them. The only downside is the bigger size of the car camera to incorporate the GPS antenna, which may be unpleasant if you want discreet recording of the images.
Other advanced features depend on the budget allocated for the acquisition. Here we can list NFC tags and built-in Wi-Fi connectivity for traffic alerts. Although a simple camera, simply recording movies, is often enough, these extra features add extra comfort and ease of use.
The best dash camera will provide you with the best features and capabilities. HD resolution will guarantee you a shot with detailed images, while recording in the loop ensures that you record constantly and you will not miss any important moment.
Dash cameras can watch the car even when you’re not in it using motion and impact sensors as well as the GPS function that can record valuable precious information about that shot.
Whether you want a simple dash camera or an advanced model, the extensive range of models on the market ensures that you will definitely find a model according to your needs and desires.
Recommended Dash Video Cameras
Taking into account the criteria outlined above, but also the opinions of the users, we present you some models of dash cameras that offer excellent quality / price ratio.
- FRONT AND REAR DUAL HD CAMERA - 170 angle wide 1080P HD 12MP front camera,120 angle wide 480P HD 2MP rear camera,dual dashboard cam swith by on button with 4.0 inch IPS screen,provide a safer daily driving environment.
- SUPERIOR NIGHT VISION - equipped with the advanced Image Sensor and F1.8 wide aperture, WDR gathers more light and eliminates the need for an auxiliary light source even in low-light environment, making it easy to obtain sharp, color-accurate images
- LOOP RECORDING & G-SENSOR TECH - the driving recorder support class 10 8-32G TF card(CARD NOT INCLUDED),when the video is full, it will automatically delete the earlier fragments.Built-in G-sensor automatically detect a sudden shake/collision and lock the video to prevent it from being overwritten.
- Enhanced 720P VIDEO Recording
- Completed compatible with selected Atoto Car Stereo models
- Auto recording option,and one click to take a screenshot function
- 1080P Video Recording. The AC-44P2 On dash camera records video by itself, and the ATOTO Android Car stereo acts as the operation interface. It has specified app "HD DVR" for operation management.
- It does not require store space from Android car stereo, as itself has Micro SD slot. Micro SD storage card is not included, and supports up to 32GB. Compatible with Selected ATOTO Car Android Stereo models (ATOTO A6 & S8 series);
- AC-44P2 has Auto Recording option,and is enabled by default. When it is powered by Android car stereo via USB, it will start recording automatically. Even if "HD DVR" app is not running, automatic recording will not be interrupted.
- ⭐️ FREE GPS TRACKER MONITORING This includes use of the Amatrac GPS tracking platform website >>> gps.amatrac.com and the smartphone app. Either way you can see exactly where your vehicle is at any time and watch its progress. In real time the location will be pinpointed accurately and rapidly. Both platforms are completely free for you to use. Apply for your FREE SIM Card with £5.00 Credit. Details can be found here >>> amacam.net/free-sim-card
- ⭐️ LIVE VIDEO STREAMING: Direct data connection to the front camera and internal camera over a 3G network and live video stream footage to your smartphone from any location. The inside car camera is infrared so you can see the occupant’s day or night.
- ⭐️ HIGH DEFINITION RECORDING: The front facing main camera captures your journey in Full HD High Definition, recording all details on the road ahead. The in-car camera will give you a clear view inside your car. At the end of each journey you can replay the front camera video alongside the GPS route data.
- Real 1080P Resolution & 3 Inch LCD Screen: Equiped with full HD 1080P camera, the dash cam can clearly record every detail in the field of vision, and you can check the video on the 3 inch super large LCD display whenever you want, very useful and convernient for a driver, please note: in order to meet the requirements for recording 1080P video, please use a card with a write speed of at least class 10.
- Loop Recording & G-Sensor: To keep you from formatting the SD card frequently, the product equip with a loop recording function. It will loop record and overwrite the oldest footage when the card is full. Of course, when your car detects a collision or severe bumps, the video will be locked, and will not be covered, which can be used as evidence when you apply for insurance compensation or a lawsuit. Suggestion: format the SD card once every month, and set the sensitivity of G-Sensor to be low.
- Parking Monitor & Motion Detection: When you park your car in the parking lot or on the side of the road and you are not in the car, you only need to turn on the parking monitoring and motion detection function. When it detects that something is approaching or collided, it will automatically turn on and record. Notice: please turn off the motion detection and parking monitor function when driving.
- Swivel ball head provides flexibility for positioning the camera. Different joints kit to suit most Car Dash Camera, GPS, Action Camera.
- Attaching to a clean and smooth surface to get maximum holding strength.
- PVC windshield suction performs well in hot climates.
Last update on 2020-06-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API