How to Choose the Best Dash Camera for Your Car
How do you choose the best dash video camera? What features and functions must have the ideal dash camera to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Car video dash cameras are welcome in any vehicle for a bunch of reasons. Video recordings can help in the event of an accident providing clear evidence of the incident, especially against those who do not declare the truth or want to sue insurance companies.
In addition, impact and motion sensors can even record when you are not in the car. Besides all this, you can use the car dash camera and record the trip in a picturesque area.
Table of Contents
The Best Dash Camera: What to Look for
There are many important things to keep in mind when choosing the best dash camera. Each model is a bit different from another, and some of them have some features that you do not find in competing models.
Dash video cameras vary in price and usually the price reflects the number and quality of the present functions.
Cheap models have few features and offer lower resolution, while more expensive models usually offer advanced features such as Wi-Fi connectivity, GPS antenna, wider shooting angle, and a better image sensor.
A dash camera with HD sensor means you can capture images with perfect details. A high definition car camera offers a minimum resolution of 720p, thus distinguishing the registration number of the machines involved in an accident or the scenic landscape of a beautiful road.
Many models offer HD of Full-HD recording, but check that the resolution offered is 720p and 1080p (Full HD), not just 480p. Some dash camera models additionally offer the ability to record better images at night or in areas with low luminosity.
The best car camera usually records directly on a removable SD card and/or uses loop recording. For cameras that do not record in the loop, but offer the option of replacing the storage media, you will need to manage your storage space, it is necessary to review the filming and delete those that are not needed to free up storage space.
Cameras using loop recording will automatically record new videos over old files available in chronological order. In this case, you should not delete or format the SD card manually.
For sequences that you do not want deleted, you can mark them specially and will not be overwritten in the recording loop. This is useful when you want to keep a specific incident and want to continue recording.
Some models of dash cameras are equipped with impact and motion sensors. These sensors automatically start recording when they detect the motion, and in case of impact, the recording continues after the incident for a predefined interval.
In addition, it marks the event in the recording history to be able to review it later. This feature is very useful when you need filmed evidence of an incident and prevent it from overwriting.
In addition to video recording, there are a wealth of advanced features that can be equipped with the best car dash camera.
One of them is the GPS function. In addition to helping you get to a certain location, the car’s GPS feature will record the route, location, and speed in the video file. This feature will help you visualize your route history and driving speeds even if you were not on board the car.
In addition, it will remember your favourite routes and allow you to schedule them. The only downside is the bigger size of the car camera to incorporate the GPS antenna, which may be unpleasant if you want discreet recording of the images.
Other advanced features depend on the budget allocated for the acquisition. Here we can list NFC tags and built-in Wi-Fi connectivity for traffic alerts. Although a simple camera, simply recording movies, is often enough, these extra features add extra comfort and ease of use.
The best dash camera will provide you with the best features and capabilities. HD resolution will guarantee you a shot with detailed images, while recording in the loop ensures that you record constantly and you will not miss any important moment.
Dash cameras can watch the car even when you’re not in it using motion and impact sensors as well as the GPS function that can record valuable precious information about that shot.
Whether you want a simple dash camera or an advanced model, the extensive range of models on the market ensures that you will definitely find a model according to your needs and desires.
Recommended Dash Video Cameras
Taking into account the criteria outlined above, but also the opinions of the users, we present you some models of dash cameras that offer excellent quality / price ratio.
- VIDEO FIDELITY - Full HD 1080p with smooth 60 frames per second video, ultra-wide lens with a 139° viewing angle, industry-leading Sony STARVIS image sensors for best day and night quality and clarity, especially in low-light conditions.
- PREMIUM FEATURES - Including Wi-Fi for connection to smartphone via the BlackVue app for Apple & Android, built-in GPS adds location and speed data overlay to recordings, Intelligent Parking Mode protects your vehicle even while you're not around, while Loop Recording and Event File Overwrite Protection ensure you always capture and keep critical clips.
- BLACKVUE CLOUD - BlackVue Cloud is a suite of innovative app-driven features that remotely connect you with your vehicle via a Wi-Fi internet connection or 4G hotspot. Be informed of incidents such as impacts via Push Notifications to your Apple or Android phone, check on your car with Remote Live View, play recorded video clips remotely and back-up important ones to the Cloud or your phone.
- 1080P Video Recording. The AC-44P2 On dash camera records video by itself, and the ATOTO Android Car stereo acts as the operation interface. It has specified app "HD DVR" for operation management.
- It does not require store space from Android car stereo, as itself has Micro SD slot. Micro SD storage card is not included, and supports up to 256 GB. Compatible with Selected ATOTO Car Android Stereo models (ATOTO A6 & S8 series);
- AC-44P2 has Auto Recording option,and is enabled by default. When it is powered by Android car stereo via USB, it will start recording automatically. Even if "HD DVR" app is not running, automatic recording will not be interrupted.
- Convenient to install.easy to use. small size, convenient to carry.
- Easy to Setup：You can attach your camera to cars, boats, motorcycles and any smooth surface with the help of Suction Cup Mount, easy to install and remove, no tool s needed, no residual and scratch left, quick release base makes moving between shots and locations quick.
- This suction cup uses a material silicone suction cup, which will harden in cold weather. More resistant to freezing and more resistant to light!
- 🥂【Wirelsee Apple Carplay and Android Auto】 You can use Apple Carplay or Android Auto in the car without having to connect the mobile phone via cable.You can access the music, navigation, messaging and other functions of your phone while safe driving. It can completely replace the cell phone while driving. Never worry about heating and battery damage caused by using your mobile phone for navigation for a long time.
- 🥂【7 Inches Touch Screen】With a responsive 7" touchscreen display that Wake up faster than similar products on the market.Our touch screen has higher resolution, so you have a better visual experience.This portable touchscreen unit comes with a strong stand with a suction cup can be wall-mounted at the smooth surface like the windshield, dashboard etc.
- 🥂【How to Get the Sound from Car Stereo】 This unit has built-in speaker, but if you want louder sound, you can transfer it to your car's speakers: 1. By FM radio transmitter, you can set the same FM radio channel on the unit and your car's radio (please avoid using the channel to be occupied by the FM station).
- Attaching to a clean and smooth surface to get maximum holding strength.
- Swivel ball head provides flexibility for positioning the camera. Different joints kit to suit most Car Dash Camera, GPS, Action Camera.
- PVC windshield suction performs well in hot climates.
- VIDEO FIDELITY - Dual camera Full HD 1080p with smooth 60 frames per second video (30fps rear), ultra-wide lens with a 139° viewing angle, industry-leading Sony STARVIS image sensors for best day and night quality and clarity, especially in low-light conditions
- 4G CONNECTED - More than just a dash cam, the DR750-2CH LTE is an advanced video surveillance system for your car; it features built-in 4G LTE connectivity, meaning you are always connected, letting you monitor your vehicle from anywhere in real time - it’s like always having a pair of eyes on your car, capturing and saving video evidence – front and rear
- PREMIUM FEATURES - Including Wi-Fi for connection to smartphone via the BlackVue app for Apple and Android, built-in GPS adds location and speed data overlay to recordings, intelligent parking mode protects your vehicle even while you're not around, while loop recording and event file overwrite protection ensure you always capture and keep critical clips
Last update on 2022-08-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API