How to Choose the Best Dash Camera for Your Car
How do you choose the best dash video camera? What features and functions must have the ideal dash camera to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Car video dash cameras are welcome in any vehicle for a bunch of reasons. Video recordings can help in the event of an accident providing clear evidence of the incident, especially against those who do not declare the truth or want to sue insurance companies.
In addition, impact and motion sensors can even record when you are not in the car. Besides all this, you can use the car dash camera and record the trip in a picturesque area.
Table of Contents
The Best Dash Camera: What to Look for
There are many important things to keep in mind when choosing the best dash camera. Each model is a bit different from another, and some of them have some features that you do not find in competing models.
Dash video cameras vary in price and usually the price reflects the number and quality of the present functions.
Cheap models have few features and offer lower resolution, while more expensive models usually offer advanced features such as Wi-Fi connectivity, GPS antenna, wider shooting angle, and a better image sensor.
A dash camera with HD sensor means you can capture images with perfect details. A high definition car camera offers a minimum resolution of 720p, thus distinguishing the registration number of the machines involved in an accident or the scenic landscape of a beautiful road.
Many models offer HD of Full-HD recording, but check that the resolution offered is 720p and 1080p (Full HD), not just 480p. Some dash camera models additionally offer the ability to record better images at night or in areas with low luminosity.
The best car camera usually records directly on a removable SD card and/or uses loop recording. For cameras that do not record in the loop, but offer the option of replacing the storage media, you will need to manage your storage space, it is necessary to review the filming and delete those that are not needed to free up storage space.
Cameras using loop recording will automatically record new videos over old files available in chronological order. In this case, you should not delete or format the SD card manually.
For sequences that you do not want deleted, you can mark them specially and will not be overwritten in the recording loop. This is useful when you want to keep a specific incident and want to continue recording.
Some models of dash cameras are equipped with impact and motion sensors. These sensors automatically start recording when they detect the motion, and in case of impact, the recording continues after the incident for a predefined interval.
In addition, it marks the event in the recording history to be able to review it later. This feature is very useful when you need filmed evidence of an incident and prevent it from overwriting.
In addition to video recording, there are a wealth of advanced features that can be equipped with the best car dash camera.
One of them is the GPS function. In addition to helping you get to a certain location, the car’s GPS feature will record the route, location, and speed in the video file. This feature will help you visualize your route history and driving speeds even if you were not on board the car.
In addition, it will remember your favourite routes and allow you to schedule them. The only downside is the bigger size of the car camera to incorporate the GPS antenna, which may be unpleasant if you want discreet recording of the images.
Other advanced features depend on the budget allocated for the acquisition. Here we can list NFC tags and built-in Wi-Fi connectivity for traffic alerts. Although a simple camera, simply recording movies, is often enough, these extra features add extra comfort and ease of use.
The best dash camera will provide you with the best features and capabilities. HD resolution will guarantee you a shot with detailed images, while recording in the loop ensures that you record constantly and you will not miss any important moment.
Dash cameras can watch the car even when you’re not in it using motion and impact sensors as well as the GPS function that can record valuable precious information about that shot.
Whether you want a simple dash camera or an advanced model, the extensive range of models on the market ensures that you will definitely find a model according to your needs and desires.
Recommended Dash Video Cameras
Taking into account the criteria outlined above, but also the opinions of the users, we present you some models of dash cameras that offer excellent quality / price ratio.
- 【4K Ultra HD Experience】The TOGUARD C200 dashcam features an ultra-high-definition 4K（3840 x 2160 ） front camera and a 1080P（1920 x 1080）rear camera to captures details that are incredibly different from other resolutions.【Important Tips】: because it's a High Resolution 4K car camera, please ensure to use a brand U3 SD card and also format it before first use.
- 【Excellent even in Dark Conditions】The front camera of the C200 car camera is equipped with Sony image sensor, 6-layer high-definition glass lens group with an infrared filter, high-definition WDR technology, intelligent identification of the shooting scene, which effectively enhances the night vision ability and provide you with clear night video.
- 【Heat Resistant with Super Capacitor】The TOGUARD C200 dash cam is supercapacitor powered instead of lithium batteries, which are built to survive extreme weather conditions from -4°F to 158°F. It's higher security than others and also gives a longer life-span than lithium-ion battery dashcams.
- Attaching to a clean and smooth surface to get maximum holding strength.
- Swivel ball head provides flexibility for positioning the camera. Different joints kit to suit most Car Dash Camera, GPS, Action Camera.
- PVC windshield suction performs well in hot climates.
- ⭐️ INFRARED DUAL WIDE-ANGLE LENS: Horizontal and vertical manual adjustment of both lenses. The front lens angle is 140° with an infrared filter and inward lens angle is 130° with infrared LED. Wide viewing angles giving great forward and inward video coverage.
- ⭐️ GPS TRACKING: Trip location and speed data is reliably recorded for playback as and when you require. View all your journeys on your laptop or computer. Alongside the video playback will be maps showing the route and speed. All the route data you need is displayed.
- ⭐️ HIGH CAPICITY MEMORY: Supporting 32GB - 64GB - 128GB TF Cards. This model has exceptional handling of the SD card options. Please always purchase a reputable branded memory card from the manufacture's official website.
- MARKET LEADING, AWARD-WINNING DASH CAM: The 312GW is the dash cam solution for new or experienced motorists who want instant upload capabilities to social media, or their insurer. Market leading thanks to its connective capabilities and ease of use, the 312GW has been rated the Which? Best Buy of 2018.
- HIGH QUALITY 1080P RECORDINGS AT 30FPS AND 140-DEGREE WIDE ANGLE: The 312GW offers 1080p HD recording capabilities at 30 frames per second through a 6-element glass lens. The 140-degree wide angle provides high quality footage for any insurance claim.
- WIFI CONNECTIVITY AND SMARTPHONE APP: The Wi-Fi feature in enables you to download and share video and photo files directly from the dash cam to your phone or tablet. The Nextbase App acts as your own personal storage point for all Nextbase clips to share to social media or the police.
- FHD 1080P Resolution & 3.0" Screen: Full HD 1920X1080P at 30 fps video enable to capture every road conditions and license plates details. 3" Super large LCD Display that can shows the real-time image, helps you see every details as clear as possible when playing back.
- Superior Night Vision Dash Camera: 6 unique infrared LED fill lights allows the dash cam to perform optimally in low light situations. WDR technology allows for the best night video.
- 170° Wide Angle Dash Cam & 6G Lens : Combined with Sony sensor and 6 glass lens and 170 Degree wide angle lens allows COMS get more clear images. High-performance chipset which enables you to take up to 1080P 30fps full HD videos and 12MP pictures.
- HIGH QUALITY 720P RECORDINGS AT 30FPS: The 112 is light and compact, but has 720p HD recording capabilities at 30 frames per second through a 5-element glass lens. This provides high quality images for any insurance claim.
- 120-DEGREE WIDE ANGLE RECORDINGS: Record your journey on the road through the 120-degree angle lens to ensure that your journey is properly documented.
- EASY MAGNETIC CLICK&GO MOUNT: Simply mount the Click&Go mount to your window
Last update on 2021-06-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API