How to Choose the Best Electric Sander
Which is the best electric sanding machine? What features and functions should the best electric sander have to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
If you are tired of sanding manually when doing DIY work in your household, or if you’ve decided to complete your little homework shop, then you’re sure to have started looking for the best electric sanding machine.
Who did not try to prepare the fence or shutters at the house for painting? You have noticed how difficult it is, so you know that an electric sander works wonders, and when the surfaces are large, the time and quality of the work make the difference between manual and the right electrical equipment.
The big advantage of electric grinding machines is that besides quick-acting, it offers the possibility to sand or polish almost any type of material, from wood, concrete, plaster, parquet or metal to stone. If you have enough skill, you can even polish your car, saving you time and money.
Before buying an electric sanding machine, you should know what are the main things to keep in mind when you buy it. Clearly not just the price matters when you are looking for the best electric sander. Below are the main features you’ll need to keep in mind.
Table of Contents
- 1 Types of electric sanding machines
- 2 How to choose the Best Electric Sander
- 3 Recommended Electric Sanders
Types of electric sanding machines
Electric sanders are classified into five major categories: belt, alternative, orbital, eccentric and multifunctional.
The most famous is the belt sander, which you easily recognize after the abrasive paper rolls it uses when sanding large surfaces, especially wood.
The high grinding speed recommends it for doors, tables or furniture, and can be used for both material preparation and fine polishing before painting or varnishing.
For those who work in construction and need to process plaster or plaster, it is recommended to use an sheet sanding machine. It does not have discs but is provided with a flat band that supports the abrasive paper.
It is usually used for fine grinding, and band motion is no longer circular but longitudinal. Just like the first model is recommended for flat surfaces, although with handiness and skill you can use it for other surfaces.
The orbital sanding machine is ideal for curved surfaces, but can be used to the same extent for flat surfaces.
To circumvent the sanding and polishing of such diverse surfaces, it is provided with multiple discs that perform an orbital motion.
The discs of this device are no longer fixed like the first models, thus providing advanced flexibility when the polished object does not have a uniform surface.
It requires skill and little experience to benefit from quality work. It can be used for almost any type of material.
The eccentric sander or rotary vibratory sanding machine is especially used for finishing and work requiring a high surface finish.
The multifunctional sanding machine attempts to combine the characteristics of the first four types of sanding machines in one tool. In addition, it can also be used as a polishing machine, i.e. it can sand a large amount of material in very short time.
In order to complete this task, the sanding machines are mounted on a fixed support and have on the rotating head an abrasive disc.
How to choose the Best Electric Sander
Depending on the purpose for which we want to buy an electric sander, we will also choose its model.
The Purpose of Using the Electric Sander
If you’re a DIY worker, but you work only a few times a year, you’ll buy a hobby or semi-professional electric sander, but if you work with it often, you have to choose a professional one. Obviously, the price is based on performance, but also on their wear resistance.
Electric sanders have a certain working regime, being designed according to the purpose in which they are used. Though easier to care, machines designed for occasional work do not resist an intense rate of use, so even if you are not a professional, but work frequently with these devices, it is advisable to choose at least one semi-professional model .
For daily use or intense work, it is essential to buy a quality professional sanding machine.
Hand or Bench Sander
Depending on the location where the sanding machines are used, in the house, in the yard or in the company, you will need to choose the model of these machines.
Obviously, those living in the apartment buildings will have no place to mount a fixed bench sander, so you will be forced to choose a hand model.
If we work intensely or we have a company that requires such a device, it is best to choose a bench sander. If you need portability, it is recommended to have two devices, one fixed for intense activities and one manual that you can take with you wherever you need it.
Type of Power Feed
We do not always have access to a power supply, and if our work requires presence in spaces where we do not have access to a socket, the only alternative is to buy a battery-powered sander.
Obviously this principle refers to handheld devices, bench sanders will always be connected to the power supply network.
Moreover, we advise that the connection is made by a specialist, their consumption and power often exceed the limits of a common household appliance, and the accidents can be quite serious.
When purchasing a battery powered electric sander, it is recommended to carefully read the technical leaflet, the autonomy being very important when we polish something and we are not at home.
The recommended voltage of specialists for portable devices of this type varies between 10 and 18 volts.
Electric Sander Performance
If so far we have shown the types of electric sanders, we should take into account the purchase of such a device and the performance it offers. Depending on our needs, we will choose the device that comes closest to what we want as price and performance.
The main parameters to look at are the power and speed of rotation. If for fixed sanding machines the minimum power should be around 2 KW, when it comes to the mobile power range varies greatly.
Wired mobile models have power ranging from 200 watts for hobby and can go up to 1500 watts. However, we do not have to guide ourselves just by the power of the device, we should rather see if it falls within the range of products we target, i.e. it is a professional tool or not.
If we look at the speed of vibration or rotation of a sanding machine, we need to know that it also varies depending on other factors. For example, for those using the polishing stone, the speeds are small and are around 100 rpm. While polishing this value can go up to 9,000 rpm. Ideal is to choose a device that allows speed adjustment depending on how it is used, thus having a larger working gap.
If you are not familiar with the working method of sanding machines, it is advisable to ask for advice from a professional or at least a shop employee from where you buy. Do not buy with the price or brand in mind, try to be as close as possible to the purpose for which you buy the electric sander.
Recommended Electric Sanders
Taking into account the above criteria and recommendations, studying the current market offer and user reviews, we present you below some models of electric sanders that offer excellent quality/price ratio.
- Bosch Microfilter System
- Two-piece sanding plate. Vibration emission value ah 6.5 m/s²
- Velcro-type fastening system
- Ready to use with 6 additional sanding Sheets
- Ideal for many DIY projects including sanding bare wood and removing paint and rust
- Lightweight and comfortable to use ensuring fatigue free sanding
- 🔷【200W & 15,000 OPM】EFFICIENCY IS UP TO MOTOR! 200W fine copper motor runs at 15,000 orbits per minute with low resistance , 1.6mm working pendulum diameter creates more even and larger sanding area.
- 🔷【12PCS SANDPAPER】12pcs sandpaper (6*80 Grits & 6*120Grits) for fine and rough sanding according to your requirements.VELCRO-TYPE FASTENING SYSTEM make it fast change of sandpaper. Suitable for sanding and polishing wood and coatings.
- 🔷【BETTER DUST COLLECTION SYSTEM】REDUCE DUST EXPLOSION! Built-in zinc-aluminum vacuum fan blades, 140*140*100mm sanding pad is visibly suck up any debris and dust left behind from your sanding job into the collection box to keep your workshop cleaner. Clear box allows you to see if it is full. Please regularly empty the dust in collection box during prolonged use. Available to connect Φ35mm vacuum cleaner for dust collection.
- 【3 in 1 Multifunction Sander】High performance 3 in 1 sander with orbital/sheet/detail sanding pad options which ideal for sanding tabletops, doors, cabinets, skirting boards or corners and very tight spaces etc.
- 【Powerful Performance】Adjustable 6-speed position dial, 1.67A(200W) great power, be supports to monitor the exact right speed that adapt to different application.
- 【15 Pcs Sandpapers】Sanding pad can be easily and quickly replaced, this multifunction sander comes with 15pcs 80 grits sandpapers(5 pcs orbital sander sandpapers&5 pcs sheet sander sandpapers&5 pcs detail sander sandpapers) that last the sander a long service life.
- ◕‿◕ EFFICIENT MOUSE DETAIL SANDER: compact sander with 13500RPM and 1.0A of power, great for sanding, polishing small areas and paint repair.
- ◕‿◕ HIGH PERFORMANCE DUST COLLECTIN: strong suction and higher dust absorption rate, making the grinding work clean. The buckle connection design keeps the box from falling off during work.
- ◕‿◕ WITH 16PCS SANDPAPER: with 16pcs sandpaper(8pcs 80Grits & 8pcs 180Grits) to meet your different applications of removing paint from wood, metal, or plastic of corners and other hard-to-reach areas. With self-adhesive disc design and it is easier to replace sandpaper.
- ▲【EFFICIENCY】The sander runs at 12,000 orbits per minute with 200W of power, 2mm working pendulum diameter to support high efficiency. Suitable for wood polishing, paint polishing, furniture polishing, metal polishing, putty polishing.
- ▲【BETTER DUST COLLECTION SYSTEM】Built-in zinc-aluminum vacuum fan blades, 140X140X90mm sanding pad is visibly suck up any debris and dust left behind from your sanding job into the collection box to keep your workshop cleaner.Available to connect Φ35mm vacuum cleaner for dust collection.
- ▲【WITH 12PCS SANDPAPER】with 12pcs sandpaper(6Pcs X80 & 6Pcs x 180 Grits) to meet your different applications of removing paint from wood, metal, or plastic of corners and other hard-to-reach areas. With self-adhesive disc design and it is easier to replace sandpaper.
Last update on 2020-10-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API