How to Choose the Best IPS LED Monitor
How do you choose the best IPS LED monitor? What features and functions the best IPS LED monitor should have to suit your needs. Read the full article to find out.
Table of Contents
What are the advantages of an IPS monitor?
The main advantages of IPS (In-Plane Switching) monitors are much broader viewing angles than TN monitors and much more accurate reproduction of black and colour in darker images.
Perhaps larger viewing angles do not matter too much, as you usually stand right in front of the monitor, but accurate colour reproduction provides an enormous difference when you work, watch a movie or play.
IPS monitors have immediately become favourites of photographers and graphic artists for whom colour reproduction as close to reality as is very important, but ordinary users initially had 2 problems with IPS monitors: higher price and lower response time.
Although P-IPS (Professional IPS) monitors are still very expensive, the introduction of e-IPS (enhanced IPS) technology has greatly reduced the prices for other models.
The response time is still weaker in IPS monitors than TN-film, but it is not noticeable so easily in smaller screens of regular monitors. Many IPS monitors use Free Trace technology that reduces the ghosting effect.
Also, IPS technology minimizes the so-called “input lag” – the response time between the click of the mouse and the result displayed on the screen. This is especially important when playing a FPS or any other high frame rate game.
Comparison of LCD technologies
To give you an idea of the current technologies used in monitor screens, we have a brief comparison below.
- TN (Twisted Nematic) – Cheapest. Excellent response time. Narrow viewing angles. Can not reproduce all colours in the RGB spectrum.
- IPS (In-Plane Switching) – The most realistic colors. Black levels less deep than VA monitors. Wide viewing angles. Higher response time. The p-IPS monitors are very expensive, while e-IPSs are not as good at color reproduction.
- PLS (Plane-to-Line Switching) – A version of Samsung’s IPS technology.
- VA (Vertical Alignment) – Angles of viewing and color reproduction much better than TN-film, but with a longer response time. The best technology for black shades.
The Best IPS LED Monitor: What to Look for
Screen Size and Price
There are some aspects that only you can decide when you want to choose the right IPS monitor, these are the available budget and screen size. Smaller monitors (up to 24 inches) generally have better life spans than those of 27 inches or larger.
Most buyers prefer two smaller monitors instead of one big one.
The most important feature of the best IPS monitor is performance, whether it’s response time or fidelity to colour reproduction, especially dark colours.
Monitors can not actually reproduce absolute black (RGB 0), but you will want an IPS monitor that will get as close to absolute value as possible. Many games perform their action in dark and sinister surroundings and it is important to distinguish the details in spite of the gloomy illumination.
How much you can adjust the height and tilt, rotate or swivel the screen is very important for your comfort in the hours spent in front of the monitor.
In addition to the standard DVI port, most monitors come with one or more HDMI ports that allow you to connect an external Blu-ray player or TV tuner to the monitor.
The latest IPS monitor models also come equipped with a DisplayPort port that is currently replacing old HDMI and DVI interfaces.
The new LED lighting technologies of IPS screens offer lower power consumption and allow for the production of thinner monitor models.
The Best IPS Monitor: Recommended Models
Below we recommend some models of IPS monitors that have drawn our attention through the quality/price ratio and user recommendations.
- 3 years basic warranty with exchange
- No matter where you sit, colours stay accurate and consistent across the wide 178 Degrees/178 degrees viewing angle thanks to in-plane switching technology
- The flicker-free screen with comfort view optimise eye comfort and reduce harmful blue light emissions for reading long hours on the display
- 3-year basic warranty with exchange
- Expand your enjoyment: The ultrathin bezel design lets you enjoy the stunning screen with less distraction
- Complement your desk with a contemporary and chic design; from the striking 23 Inch screen to the elegant glossy back cover, every Inch was designed with style in mind
- 21:9 UltraWide FHD (2560*1080) display offers visual comfort and ensures your best viewing pleasure. There is no colour shift or no distortion of colour at all.
- Game Mode, consisting of FPS, RTS, and Custom modes, provides a customized gaming experience that varies with genres
- Black Stabilizer is especially useful to detect objects including enemies that are hiding in dark areas. Dynamic Action Sync allows you to attack enemies faster with less lag time
- IPS LED wide view technology for image and colour accuracy
- 16:9 Full HD display for crisp, detailed images
- Narrow border display for seamless appearance
- · Dive deep into details
- · Huge IPS display in QHD resolution
- · High colour depth
- IPS technology highlights the performance of liquid crystal displays. Response times are shortened, colour reproduction is improved, and users can view the screen at virtually any angle
- This streamlined display features a slim bezel on three sides for an immersive visual experience and no distraction from the dazzlingly precise, lifelike image
- With Radeon FreeSync, gamers can experience seamless, fluid movement throughout hi-res, fast-paced games. Radeon FreeSync virtually eliminates screen tearing and stuttering
Last update on 2019-10-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API