How to Choose the Best IPS LED Monitor
How do you choose the best IPS LED monitor? What features and functions the best IPS LED monitor should have to suit your needs. Read the full article to find out.
Table of Contents
What are the advantages of an IPS monitor?
The main advantages of IPS (In-Plane Switching) monitors are much broader viewing angles than TN monitors and much more accurate reproduction of black and colour in darker images.
Perhaps larger viewing angles do not matter too much, as you usually stand right in front of the monitor, but accurate colour reproduction provides an enormous difference when you work, watch a movie or play.
IPS monitors have immediately become favourites of photographers and graphic artists for whom colour reproduction as close to reality as is very important, but ordinary users initially had 2 problems with IPS monitors: higher price and lower response time.
Although P-IPS (Professional IPS) monitors are still very expensive, the introduction of e-IPS (enhanced IPS) technology has greatly reduced the prices for other models.
The response time is still weaker in IPS monitors than TN-film, but it is not noticeable so easily in smaller screens of regular monitors. Many IPS monitors use Free Trace technology that reduces the ghosting effect.
Also, IPS technology minimizes the so-called “input lag” – the response time between the click of the mouse and the result displayed on the screen. This is especially important when playing a FPS or any other high frame rate game.
Comparison of LCD technologies
To give you an idea of the current technologies used in monitor screens, we have a brief comparison below.
- TN (Twisted Nematic) – Cheapest. Excellent response time. Narrow viewing angles. Can not reproduce all colours in the RGB spectrum.
- IPS (In-Plane Switching) – The most realistic colors. Black levels less deep than VA monitors. Wide viewing angles. Higher response time. The p-IPS monitors are very expensive, while e-IPSs are not as good at color reproduction.
- PLS (Plane-to-Line Switching) – A version of Samsung’s IPS technology.
- VA (Vertical Alignment) – Angles of viewing and color reproduction much better than TN-film, but with a longer response time. The best technology for black shades.
The Best IPS LED Monitor: What to Look for
Screen Size and Price
There are some aspects that only you can decide when you want to choose the right IPS monitor, these are the available budget and screen size. Smaller monitors (up to 24 inches) generally have better life spans than those of 27 inches or larger.
Most buyers prefer two smaller monitors instead of one big one.
The most important feature of the best IPS monitor is performance, whether it’s response time or fidelity to colour reproduction, especially dark colours.
Monitors can not actually reproduce absolute black (RGB 0), but you will want an IPS monitor that will get as close to absolute value as possible. Many games perform their action in dark and sinister surroundings and it is important to distinguish the details in spite of the gloomy illumination.
How much you can adjust the height and tilt, rotate or swivel the screen is very important for your comfort in the hours spent in front of the monitor.
In addition to the standard DVI port, most monitors come with one or more HDMI ports that allow you to connect an external Blu-ray player or TV tuner to the monitor.
The latest IPS monitor models also come equipped with a DisplayPort port that is currently replacing old HDMI and DVI interfaces.
The new LED lighting technologies of IPS screens offer lower power consumption and allow for the production of thinner monitor models.
The Best IPS Monitor: Recommended Models
Below we recommend some models of IPS monitors that have drawn our attention through the quality/price ratio and user recommendations.
- LED monitor IPS format 16 / 9th. Power adapter type 48W
- UHD 4K resolution 3840 x 2160 60Hz
- Gamut Colors 99% sRGB / 10bit (8bit + A-FRC)
- 32 inch 4k curved monitor with world’s most curved 1500R curvature delivers realistic viewing experience.
- CES 2019 Innovation Award Winner
- Stunning 4K Ultra HD picture quality with 4x more pixels than Full HD ( 3840 x 2160 )
- 3 years basic warranty with exchange
- No matter where you sit, colours stay accurate and consistent across the wide 178 Degree/178 Degree viewing angle thanks to in-plane switching technology
- The flicker-free screen with comfort view optimises eye comfort and reduces harmful blue light emissions for long hours of reading
- Crisp, true-to-life colours come alive in Full HD 1080P resolution
- The Comfy view display prevents reflections to provide eye comfort, it also delivers brighter colours for you viewing enjoyment
- Set the K222HQL's display angle to optimise your view with its ergonomic stand that tilts from -5 to 25 degrees
- Full HD - Enjoy games in HD or read crisp text in office applications
- HDMI - Supported by the current gaming consoles, GPUs and set-top boxes.
- Textured finish
- 50,000,000:1 ASUS smart contrast ratio. Asus support line: 01442-265548 for queries related to the product.
- Full HD 1080p (1920 x 1080) support
- Quick response time of 1 ms (GTG) eliminates ghosting and tracers for more fluid video playback
Last update on 2020-06-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API