Table of Contents
- 1 Top 3 Recommended Best Microwave Ovens
- 2 How to Choose the Best Microwave Oven
- 2.1 The Design and Dimensions of the Microwave Oven
- 2.2 Built-in or Standalone?
- 2.3 Power
- 2.4 Features and Functionality
- 2.5 Noise Level
- 2.6 Ventilation and Installation
- 2.7 Aesthetic and Design
- 2.8 Eco-Friendly Features
- 2.9 Ease of Use and Cleaning
- 2.10 Safety
- 2.11 The Price of the Microwave Oven
- 2.12 The manufacturer
- 2.13 After-Sales and Warranties
- 2.14 Conclusion
- 3 Recommended microwave ovens
How do you choose the best microwave oven in 2024? What properties and features should the best microwave oven have to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Choosing the best microwave oven according to your needs is an important task, whether it is used only to heat the food, to thaw the meat or to make popcorn during movie evenings with friends, is an indispensable electric appliance for any kitchen.
A microwave oven offers a lot more advantages than disadvantages, such as the fact that you can heat or cook food fast, which is not possible with a classic oven or you can warm water, milk, tea, coffee etc. just as quickly.
A disadvantage of microwave ovens would be that excessive use can damage health, but this is not an impediment to anyone buying such an appliance. Many of us do not know what to follow and what are the criteria to consider when choosing the ideal microwave oven.
Top 3 Recommended Best Microwave Ovens
How to Choose the Best Microwave Oven
The Design and Dimensions of the Microwave Oven
Microwave ovens start from the smallest and most compact models to large ovens, even 50L in capcity, whether or not they are built-in.
Choose the volume and size of both a function of the space available to mount the appliance and the amount of food it fills up.
It is important to relate to your needs when choosing dimensions and kitchen furniture when choosing your design.
The microwave oven as well as the other appliances should be integrated into the aesthetic image of the kitchen.
The color range from which you can choose a microwave oven is quite wide, from white, beige, gray to black or even matte or glossy stainless.
Built-in or Standalone?
This is a question to ask when it comes to purchasing a microwave oven. Keep in mind that the independent ones are generally compact, small in size, while the built-in microwave ovens are much larger, more performing and much more functional.
Also the price of a built-in oven is up to it’s performance. For those who are really passionate about cooking, who spend a lot of time in the kitchen, a built-in microwave oven can be a good idea. For a normal user, however, a built-in microwave oven would be too big of an investment and useless enough from my point of view.
Microwave power is measured in watts. A higher wattage allows for faster cooking, but it can also increase the appliance’s energy consumption. Most microwaves range between 700 to 1,200 watts. For standard home use, 800-1,000 watts is typically sufficient.
Features and Functionality
While basic microwaves offer standard heating and defrosting, many modern models come with additional features, such as:
- Auto Cook: This feature automatically adjusts power levels and cooking times based on the type of food.
- Inverter Technology: Inverter microwaves provide precise control over power levels, enabling more even cooking and preserving the texture and flavour of the food.
- Sensor Cooking: Sensors measure the steam food emits and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Convection Cooking: In convection microwaves, a fan circulates the hot air, allowing for faster, more even cooking.
- Pre-set Programs: These are handy buttons that set the microwave for specific foods, such as popcorn or pizza.
The noise level is another often overlooked factor to consider. Some models may be particularly loud or have an annoyingly persistent end-of-cycle beep.
Check the specifications for the noise level, measured in decibels (dB), or look for reviews that mention the noise.
Ventilation and Installation
Depending on where you’re planning to put your microwave, you may need to consider ventilation. Built-in models usually need ventilation space around them, so make sure you have enough room.
For countertop models, ensure that there’s enough space around and above them. If you’re opting for an over-the-range microwave, remember that it’ll need to be professionally installed, adding to the cost.
Aesthetic and Design
While function should be the priority, the design and look of the microwave matter, especially in a well-curated kitchen. Microwaves come in a variety of colours and finishes, including stainless steel, black, white, and even retro designs.
Consider what will blend well with your kitchen decor.
With the increasing focus on sustainability, many microwaves now offer eco-friendly features. These might include an energy-saving mode, which minimises power usage when the microwave is on standby, or an eco-mode, which reduces power consumption during cooking.
Such features not only help you do your bit for the environment but also save on energy bills.
Ease of Use and Cleaning
Consider the microwave’s user interface. A clear, easy-to-use control panel can make the difference between a microwave that’s a joy to use and one that’s a nuisance. Look for models with easy-to-clean interiors, preferably with a non-stick surface or a steam clean feature.
Safety features to consider include child safety locks (especially important if you have young children) and sensors that turn off the microwave when food is done to prevent overcooking or burning.
The Price of the Microwave Oven
The price of a microwave is the criterion that may have to go first. Estimate a budget from the beginning, so you will avoid looking at oven models that you can not afford.
Prices for a microwave come from just under 100 pounds if you find a good offer and can reach up to several hundreds pounds.
Brand is not a factor taken into account by many people when purchasing a microwave oven. A big mistake!
Although the well-known brands have higher prices, their service and warranty will be much better compared to a no-name brand. The manufacturing company also gives the product quality. So look for a microwave oven manufactured by a renowned company.
These would be broadly the tips to keep in mind when choosing the best microwave oven. Pass the information through your own filter, adapt to your needs and needs and choose the perfect microwave for you!
After-Sales and Warranties
Lastly, investigate what kind of after-sales service and warranties the manufacturers offer. A microwave is an investment, and you’ll want peace of mind knowing you can access help if something goes wrong.
Some brands offer longer warranties or dedicated customer service, which could tip the balance in their favour.
Armed with these insights, you’re now equipped to make an informed decision about the best microwave oven for your needs.
Remember, the best microwave for you is the one that fits your space, meets your cooking needs, aligns with your budget, and perhaps even adds a touch of style to your kitchen.
Enjoy exploring your options, and happy shopping!
Recommended microwave ovens
Taking into account the criteria listed above, we recommend the following products offering excellent quality / price ratio.
- Adjustable Power Levels & Time: This 800 w microwave offers 5 power settings and a manual timer going up to 35 minutes, allowing you to defrost, reheat, and cook according to your unique needs
- Rotation for Even Cooking: This microwave features a glass turntable plate that rotates when in use, preventing localised overheating and annoying microwave mishaps
- Timeless Design: With two simple control knobs and a neutral white casing, this microwave offers a neutral, classic design that will fit in nicely with any kitchen's existing décor
- Microwave Oven: Enjoy great results and an array of convenient features with this 800w solo 23L microwave oven from Toshiba, made to add modern conveniences to your busy life.
- Express Cook: Start cooking instantly by selecting cooking time from 1 second to 6 min. The pre-programmed menu and procedural memory will allow you to heat your favourites in just one touch!
- Handy Features: Defrost by weight/time, express cooking, and timer makes this a great microwave oven for busy cooks. Exterior: 48.5x39.7x29.3cm, Interior: 31.4x34.7x22.1cm (WxDxH)
- MIRRORED FINISH - The Russell Hobbs RHM2076B features a sleek black body and contemporary mirror door finish
- EASY CLEAN – With a wipeable painted interior and removable glass turntable which is dishwasher safe, it’s super easy to keep clean
- SPECIAL FEATURES - Additional features include pre-programmed auto cook menus such as pizza, fish and popcorn, allowing you to cook at the push of a button
- 5 Cooking Power Levels: There are five cooking power levels on this 700w microwave, allowing you to cook popcorn, potatoes, frozen vegetables, hot beverages, and more
- Large Capacity & compact design: With its capacity of 20L, you can easily fit large dishes up to 9 inches, suitable for most families.
- Compact design: The microwave is built with a durable, black front and cabinet for a compact, enduring design. External: 440*335.9*259mm, internal: 306*304*206mm
- SCANDI STYLE - Wooden effect handle and dial for a Scandinavian inspired finish
- COMPACT DESIGN - Ideal for kitchens with limited space
- EASY CLEAN – With a wipeable painted interior and removable glass turntable which is dishwasher safe, it’s super easy to keep clean.
- This impressive Microwave has been designed by Cookology - combining Quality, Style and Value
- You get a Family Friendly 25cm Turntable so you can defrost or cook family sized portions
- The sleek, clean design will suit modern as well as traditional kitchens
- 700W POWERFUL - 700 watts of microwave power for quick and convenient cooking in your home and the included speedy defrost saving you time so that you can cook meals straight from the freezer. Perfect everyday microwave, ideal for cooking a variety of meals in minutes.
- LARGE 20L CAPACITY(L44 X W34 X H24 CM), COMPACT - Create delicious meals with this manual microwave with a 20 litre capacity, suitable for a standard dinner plate. It comes with a removable & dishwasher safe glass turn-table for easy cleaning. Taking up less space in your kitchen, the compact size allows you to place the microwave anywhere you like while still offering 20 litres of cooking capacity, it is an extremely versatile appliance that will let you cook almost anything.
- 5-STAGE SELECTOR, TIMER FUNCTION - Comes with 5 power levels for a wide range of cooking requirements and lets you easily find the correct temperature for a variety of dishes! Also equipped with a 30-minute timer function for added convenience, simply select the time & start cooking.
- Stylish 900 watt solo microwave oven: With a large 25 litre capacity & a turntable inside, complete with 11 levels of cooking power
- Features: Full touch control electric panel, digital clock & kitchen timer, ECO function, 8 automatic programmes & child safety lock
- Modern handle-less design: In a sleek silver finish complemented by a black door window & control panel with a blue digital LED display
Last update on 2024-02-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API