How to Choose the Best Tumble Dryer
How do you choose the best tumble dryer for your home? What features and functions should a high-performance tumble dryer have to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Although it is not a strict necessity, a tumble dryer will greatly ease your work in the home, and because time is precious, any home appliance that can save your time and energy is more than welcome.
A tumble dryer promises a quick drying of any type of material. Once you remove your clothes from the device, they will be ready to be worn. It is a convenient and very economical way of saving time. So, how do you choose the best tumble dryer?
You surely know that it takes hours for a coat to dry, even if it was squeezed very well, and in the winter it can take even a few days.
It’s true that you do not sit next to your clothes until they dry, but you spend enough time hanging your clothes to dry, plus you can not wear the desired coat until it’s completely dry.
The best tumble dryer eliminates these problems. Being very similar in appearance to a washing machine, it is very easy to use and is very convenient.
Table of Contents
- 1 How do You Choose the Best Tumble Dryer?
- 2 Recommended Tumble Dryers
How do You Choose the Best Tumble Dryer?
The good part is that you have a choice. Several models and variations of tumble dryers have already appeared on the market, in addition to those incorporated in the pair of washing machine-dryer.
As mentioned above, a tumble dryer of this type can be very useful in a household, but only if it is correctly chosen so as to meet first and foremost the needs of your family. Because there are many types, however, choice can be quite difficult, and a bad investment will affect both you and your family.
How can you choose the best laundry dryer for you? Which aspects do you need to keep in mind? How to differentiate a dryer from another. We recommend that you consult a shopping guide like this one to find the answers to the questions above and to make the best decision.
In your choice, take into account the following important issues.
The Type of Drying
Depending on the method of drying the laundry, the tumble dryers can be divided into two types: condenser or venting. While condenser dryers are more popular than vented ones, the latter are more efficient.
The vented dryer is somewhat more inconvenient to install because it comes in a packet with a blower that removes moist air.
It’s a more efficient version of drying, but it will take up more space, and you may need to call a specialist to install it. It is also a variant that consumes less electricity.
The condenser dryer, on the other hand, is easy to install and use. The principle of operation is simple. The steam coming out of the clothes is condensed and collected in a water tank.
One of the biggest advantages is that it can be put into operation immediately after purchase, and you can quickly find a place in the house, and then even have the opportunity to reposition it easily.
There are also types of laundry dryers on the market depending on the type of power supply. It may be gas or electricity based.
In general, the vast majority of this type of appliance works on electricity. But it’s good to remember that no matter the power supply, the performance will be the same.
The volume of the tumble dryer or its capacity varies from model to model, as is the case with washing machines. Taking this into consideration is directly related to your family’s needs, energy consumption and your time. A larger capacity dryer will dry up more laundry in one drying cycle, saving you time and energy resources.
As a general rule, the capacity of the tumble dryer must be higher than that of the washing machine you use. On the market you can find variants of volume between 7 kg and 10 kg. If you have a family of 4-5 people or even more, the best laundry dryer for you is 8-10 kg.
A feature that will help you a lot is the load sensor that will alert you if the volume of loaded clothes is too high for the dryer’s capacity.
Of course, it will still work, but the laundry will take longer to dry, some may not dry out well, the energy resources will be more demanded and you risk significantly damaging the dryer. The best tumble dryer has this function, so check before you buy.
Protecting Clothes – Moisture Sensor
The humidity sensor is an aspect that must exist when talking about the ideal dryer for everyone. It has a double role. First, it warns the appliance when the clothes are dry, which causes the dryer to stop automatically.
So your clothes do not risk getting damaged by heat. Second, the humidity sensor helps you reduce as much electricity consumption as possible, as the dryer will not work if it is not needed.
Tip: Try to sort your clothing according to the material before it is dry. This will ensure uniform drying and you will not risk damaging fabrics.
There are many models on the market that do not have this moisture sensor but a thermostat. However, this thermostat does not handle the process well and exposes the fabric to the danger of damage due to excessive heat. That’s why the best tumble dryer is the one equipped with a moisture sensor.
The energy class in which this appliance fits is an issue that will directly affect you. That is why you should not ignore it and it is good to determine beforehand what is the minimum energy class you want to fall into.
The most suitable tumble dryer for the needs of anyone falls into at least energy class A, of course, following classes A+, A++, A+++.
You should keep in mind that a tumble dryer consumes more electricity than a washing machine. Even if it has a higher price, a Class A laundry dryer and above is a better long-term choice.
Another comfort aspect you should take into account is the noise level. You should keep in mind that tumble dryers make a lot of noise, which will especially affect you if the dryer is located near the bedrooms.
Always check the level of decibels he emits. In general, a model that does not exceed 70 dB should not be very disturbing.
What Functions and Programs Should the Ideal Tumble Dryer Have?
- Load Sensor – informs the user when the appliance is overloaded to ensure optimal drying, low power consumption, and longer dryer operation.
- Moisture sensor – informs the appliance when the clothes are dry, and stops immediately, protecting the clothes and saving energy.
- Lint filter – As with the washing machine, the tumble dryer has a lint filter that needs to be cleaned. Otherwise, there may be big problems, even fires. It is even better if the machine has a light indicator for the lint filter. Choose a model that has the lint filter positioned on the outside because access is easier than if it is mounted in the drum.
- Remote control or smartphone control – the most expensive models allows you to control the appliance via remote control or a special smartphone application. You can control functions such as drying cycle or parameter monitoring.
- The steam system – the best tumble dryer models have a built-in steam system. This is practical for removing odours and reducing creases, making the fabric easier to iron. Steam can also clean clothes.
- Control panel – control panels allow you to set or customize the operating mode of the tumble dryer in detail. With touch panels, you can even save your preferences without having to reset the machine every dry cycle. However, a more advanced control panel is also a control panel harder to learn and master. You can find a simpler version of the control panel that also offers a wide range of options.
- Extensive rotation cycle – to avoid creating creases, some models have an extended swivel function that allows the drum to rotate continuously even if the drying cycle and heating system has stopped.
- Different drying cycles – usually every tumble dryer has three different drying cycles: total drying, partial drying, and a combination of the first two. Partial drying retains a certain percentage of moisture, and variations appear on the subject depending on the manufacturer. The most popular are, however, the partial drying cycle for the cabinet or for ironing.
- Drum grille – This grid allows drying of the laundry without starting the spin, thus avoiding the formation of creases as much as possible.
- Delicate drying program – a special feature useful for delicate or sensitive items such as shirts.
- Mixed program – a total optional function that allows drying according to the type of fabric: curtain, linen, clothes, etc.
- Sports program – a special program designed for the drying of sports articles.
- Jeans program – facilitates quick drying of toughest materials that retain more water.
- Wool program – although it is not advisable to dry woollen garments in this way, to avoid their wrinkling, there are however drying programs that make this possible without too much risk.
The Price of an Ideal Tumble Dryer
Prices on the market vary depending on the energy class chosen, the novelty and performance of the model, as well as the many features and programs it offers. The price of a good tumble dryer starts at 1200 lei and can reach up to 2000 lei.
For most tumble dryers, the warranty is 2 years, as with most household appliances. However, if you are offered the opportunity to purchase an extra-warranty of up to 2 years, it is good to take advantage of it.
Recommended Tumble Dryers
Taking into account the above criteria and user opinions, we can recommend for you below some models of high-performance tumble dryers that offer excellent value for money.
- Energy Efficiency: B
- 8kg drum capacity
- B energy rating
- Condenser tumble dryer
- 9kg drum capacity
- C energy rating
- Vented tumble dryer
- 7kg drum capacity - great for medium-sized households
- Dries your clothes to the perfect level for ironing or storing straight in a cupboard
- Childproof lock to keep little ones safe
- 9kg drum capacity
- B energy rating
- Condenser tumble dryer
- 7kg wash capacity
- C energy rating
- Vented tumble dryer
Last update on 2020-06-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API