How to Choose the Best Steam Generator Iron
How do you choose the best steam generator iron? What features and functions should a high-performance steam generator iron have to suit your needs? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
A clean-looking crease-free coat always makes a good impression. Still, ironing clothes is not always funny, and sometimes it can be even stressful.
It has now become difficult to learn the right temperatures for each material, as new synthetic formulations continue to be launched on the market.
If you want a quick and safe way to iron your clothes, we recommend a steam generator iron.
This is the best option at the moment to save as much of your precious time as possible and provide you with optimal efficiency. How to choose the best ironing station?
Table of Contents
- 1 Steam Generator vs. Classic Iron
- 2 How do You Choose the Best Steam Generator Iron?
- 3 Recommended Steam Generator Irons
Steam Generator vs. Classic Iron
The necessity of ironing clothes is not just aesthetic, but also hygienic, by ironing clothes you are killing bacteria or microbes. This is why every family has at least one iron, more or less performing, in the household.
However, you agree with me that the iron is the one that ruined at least one of your favourite piece of clothing, and it was also the one that was not strong enough to crack a more difficult or newer material. Well, a steam generator iron is the alternative that will eliminate these problems.
A steam generator iron is a more advanced, more durable and comfortable appliance. Although it is a more bulky and less mobile version of the iron, it compensates through performance and ways to prevent damage to the material of your clothes.
With an ideal steam generator iron, you can effortlessly iron even the finest and most sensitive materials. It is perfect for intensive use, even for industrial use, but also for home use, especially if you have a large family and you usually have to perform long ironing sessions.
How do You Choose the Best Steam Generator Iron?
A very good steam generator iron will serve you for many years, save you a lot of time as well as your favourite pieces of clothing. Also, the steam generator irons currently available on the market vary quite a lot depending on the price, so it is quite difficult to figure out which is the best investment you can make.
What are the quality criteria and functionalities that a steam generator iron has to meet to justify a good quality/price ratio? To find out and choose the best ironing station for you, we recommend consulting a shopping guide like this one.
So, in your choice, take into account the following criteria:
The Power of the Steam Generator Iron
The power of the steam generator iron influences the time you spend ironing your clothes, as well as the quality of your results.
The power at which an steam generator iron can go depends on the heating speed of the sole, as well as the heat constancy or the maximum temperature it can reach.
It is good to know that the higher the power, the better results you will get and the clothes will get the ideal shape in the shortest time. Look for a steam generator iron that has a power of at least 2400 W.
Perhaps the most important differentiating criterion in choosing a perfect steam generator iron is the steam power that will determine the efficiency and quality of the ironing station. An ideal steam generator iron has a powerful steam jet. This way we can easily iron any kind of fabric.
If you want the best results, it’s a good idea to look for a steam generator iron with a steam output of over 250 g. There are, of course, models with a smaller steam power of 100 or 200 g. Although they are more affordable at the price, they will not be as effective and will not behave satisfactorily on any type of material.
When checking this, also consider the steam flow. This should not be confused with the steam power, but rather an index for the amount of steam released by the station continuously. At almost all steam generator irons this value does not fall below 120g / min.
A factor that influences the power of the steam jet is the steam pressure that forms in the boiler. The higher the steam pressure, the higher the output power, the efficiency of the steam generator iron will be very close to the ideal.
Generally, if the steam pressure value exceeds 5 bar, no problems should occur regardless of the type of material being ironed.
Water Tank Capacity
The most obvious difference between a steam generator iron and a classic iron is that the steam generator iron comes with an external water tank that has a larger volume.
If during the ironing session it was necessary to fill the regular iron tank several times, in the case of the steam generator iron this will no longer be necessary.
The water tank must be of sufficient capacity for a single ironing session. Analyse well what capacity you need, because larger capacity means a bulkier steam generator iron, so more space is occupied.
Sole-plate of the Steam Generator Iron
The quality of the sole-plate is important because it is the surface that comes in direct contact with the material that is ironed.
When it comes to the quality of the sole of the steam generator iron, it is necessary to consider the material from which it is made. Most soles are made of aluminium or stainless steel.
Both materials have advantages and disadvantages. While stainless steel is not a very good heat conductor, it is more resistant to scratches, and while aluminium is a better heat conductor, it scratches beyond being repaired, and in time can form bumps that will severely affect the ironing material.
The best ironing station has a ceramic sole-plate or a combination of several metals. A sole made of such materials is ideal for excellent ironing of any type of material. There are materials that are friendly even with sensitive materials, and the risk of them burning is almost non-existent.
Also, another attribute with the sole-plate of the best steam generator iron is the anti-adhesion surface, which makes it possible for any material to be ironed safely, without the risk of burning.
Steam Distribution Holes
If you want a quick ironing session with optimal results, you should consider the number of holes in the sole-plate for the release of steam as well as how they are distributed.
A good steam generator iron is one that has as many steam holes as possible. Thus the steam and heat will spread evenly over the entire coverage area.
Also, holes should be distributed across the entire surface of the sole-plate, except in the back. So you will not have to go back and forth with the sole over the same area, and your work will be significantly easier.
Features the Best Steam Generator Iron Must Have
In order to truly enjoy all the advantages of a good steam generator iron, it must have the following functionalities:
- Self-clean – a special feature that allows self-cleaning and self-disinfection of the sole-plate.
- Auto-stop – an ideal function that automatically turns off the iron when it is no longer used.
- Anti-drip – This function allows the water valve to be closed, thus preventing water spills.
- Anti-limescale – a very practical function because you will no longer need special water for the steam generator iron. You can put any kind of water in the tank of the ironing station, even from the tap, because it will prevent the build-up of the limescale.
- Strong steam jet – a feature that allows you to use a stronger steam jet than usual for more difficult creases.
- Vertical ironing – a good steam generator iron should have the option of vertical ironing, very practical for more demanding clothes such as skirts or gowns.
There are several functions and accessories designed to provide you with extra comfort when you’re ironing clothes. Pay attention to these details when choosing the best steam generator iron.
It is better that the tank has a capacity of at least 1.5 l and the heating time of the iron should not exceed 2 minutes. Also, be careful that the iron is equipped with a cable storage system, has a low weight, possible wireless power, or a locking system for transport.
The more comfort options a steam generator iron has, the easier it will be to use.
Since an ironing station is not the cheapest purchase, it is absolutely necessary to purchase it with a satisfactory warranty period. A suitable warranty period for this purpose is 24 months.
Recommended Steam Generator Irons
Taking into account the above criteria and user opinions, we can recommend for you below some models of high-performance steam generator irons that offer excellent value for money.
- Durable stainless steel soleplate effectively removes creases
- 100g high level steam output to help you get through your ironing pile with ease
- Large 1L detachable water tank so you spend less time refilling
- Rapidly remove tough creases with a powerful 2700 W, three bar pressure and 100 g per minute steam output
- Durable non-stick ceramic soleplate for a smoother and easier glide
- Extra-large removable 1.5 Litre tank minimises the need for regular refills
- Ultimate 4.5 bar steam power delivers crease busting steam that can penetrate multiple layers cutting your ironing time in half
- Removable, 1.3 Litre water tank with anti-calc cartridge
- Stainless steel soleplate and 90 g steam output makes light work of creases
- Ultimate steam power delivers crease busting steam that can penetrate multiple layers cutting your ironing time In half.
- Unique Auto-clean, hassle free lime scale protection to maintain the powerful steam performance.
- Variable steam settings and a 200g steam output, with a huge 310g steam boost, make light work of creases.
- Ultra-fast ironing: The powerful steam output multi-layers and thicker fabrics
- Optimal temp: One temperature setting iron from jeans to silk no fabric burns guaranteed
- Easy fill and quick start: 1.8 L detachable water tank and quick 2 minute steam ready heat up time
- Ultimate steam power for easy crease removal
- 120g instant steam and 6 bar pressure for crease removal even in the toughest fabrics
- Superior ceramic soleplate giving durability and a pristine finish
Last update on 2020-06-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API