How do you choose the best air purifier? What functions and features should the ideal air purifier have? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Certain studies conducted by environmental agents have revealed that in some situations the air quality inside a home is up to several times worse than outdoor air.
Table of Contents
Why Choose the Best Air Purifier?
The best air purifier can help you fight air pollutants with advanced filters that can keep dust, pollen and other known allergens out of your house.
An air purifier mounted in the bedroom or in the living room can filter the polluted air from the areas where you spend the most time with your loved ones. These devices are available in a wide range of models and offer varying levels of air filtration.
How to Choose the Best Air Purifier
The best home air purifiers efficiently remove harmful particles and work silently. The main criteria for evaluating the best air purifier are filtration efficiency, coverage area, noise level, safety of use, energy consumption, additional functions and manufacturer’s warranty.
Below we will detail the important aspects to help you choose the right air purifier for you.
Futuristic design and advanced features are welcome, but the most important aspect to consider in an air purifier is its ability to clean the air.
Choose an air purifier with a high flow rate that efficiently filters the cigarette smoke, dust and pollen from the air. Some devices will display the volume in cubic meters (m³) or in square meters (m²). In square meters, we assume that it refers to the size of the room calculated at a standard ceiling height of not more than 2.5 meters.
Generally, it’s good to choose an air purifier that has a bit bigger processing capacity than the room where you want to use it to get maximum efficiency.
Finally, you’ll have to compromise between a silent purifier and a more noisy but more powerful one. A silent appliance will not process a large amount of air, so you will need to choose the quietest air purifier for the amount of air you need to filter.
To evaluate this, you will need to look at the decibel level of similar filtering devices and choose the quietest. The higher the decibel level, the more noisy the air purifier will be during operation.
Safety and Certifications
Some models are certified by ECARF (European Center for Allergy Research) or by other independent laboratories. In addition, check whether the chosen model is also certified for energy consumption by an authorized body.
Certain models of air purifiers can generate other harmful particles in the process of filtering common pollutants.
The most common problem is the excessive generation of ozone particles that are not very beneficial in quantities above the permitted limits.
For those suffering from asthma and allergies, long exposure to ozone particles may damage health and may aggravate respiratory problems, causing chest pain, difficulty in breathing and respiratory irritation. The best air purifiers destroy ozone particles in the air, thus preventing unpleasantness.
Comfort in use is an important factor in choosing the best air purifier. Many devices use replaceable filters that are monitored to indicate when to change. In addition, look for a cleaner that has timer programming functions for stopping or starting.
This way you can program your device to operate for a limited time to prevent premature filter wear and to function optimally when you are away from home or during sleep. Many air purifiers are equipped with a remote control to ease their use, although not always necessary.
The best air purifiers use an air quality sensor that allows them to adjust the fan speed according to the particle density in the atmosphere.
This function is excellent because you will not have to adjust the speed manually. In addition, it allows you to program the device and automatically operate it.
Service and Warranty
Operating an air purifier should not be difficult, but it is good to get support from the manufacturer if something does not work properly. Choose a device made by a reputable company that offers you a maximum guarantee and service at your fingertips.
The best air purifier will keep your home clean and free from dust, odours and allergens, thus minimizing pollutants in the breathing air. This way you can be sure that the whole family will enjoy a safer atmosphere away from unwanted allergies and irritations.
Recommended Air Purifiers
Taking into account the above criteria, analysing the existing offer and buyers’ opinions, we present some recommendations for air purifiers that offer an exceptional quality / price ratio.
- 4 CUSTOMIZED REPLACEMENT FILTERS: Depending on different individuals' needs, we provide four types of filters for purchase: original filter, pet allergy filter, toxin absorber filter, mould & bacteria filter for choose. Note: One original filter is pre-installed in the machine
- Vortexair PURIFY TECHNOLOGY: CADR rating 187m³/h allows it to cover up to 40 m², Using the Core 300 to fill your environment with clean air. Notes: AC 220-240V/50HZ with UK 3-Pin Plug. It's NOT a wireless product and CAN'T be connected via USB
- FILTER 99.97% OF PARTICLES: Working with ultra-fine Prefilter and activated carbon filter, Our H13 HEPA filter traps 99.97% allergens like dust, pollen, mould spores, pet hair, and reduces unwanted odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes
- 100% Ozone Free: The UVC Light and Anion that other brands adopt to purify air could produce a kind of air pollutant-Ozone, which is especially harmful for the children and asthma sufferers. Levoit air purifiers never use these for 100% Ozone free
- Advanced 3-Stage Filtration System: The Pre-Filter, True HEPA Filter, and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter capture allergens, pet hair, dander, smoke, odour and large dust particles, in addition to removing airborne contaminants as small as 0.3 microns
- Ultra-Silent Operation: Filters the air with the lowest noise level as quiet as 25dB for a restful and soothing indoor environment, helping you sleep deeply. All settings can be made via the Levoit’s air purifier's elegant touch panel control panel. Effective Range: 129 ft2 / 12 m2
- 【Quiet Sleep Mode & Easy One-Touch Control 】The noise level is as low as 24dB at the Sleep Mode, and display lights will turn off in 5 seconds for a better sleeping environment. One-touch switch to change 3 speed modes-High, Low, Sleep
- 【Dual-True HEPA Filters & 3-Stage Filtration】Two filters in one air purifier, both contain the Pre-Filter, H13 True HEPA Filter and Activated Carbon Filter. Remove 99.97% of dust, pollen, smoke, odours, allergies, pet dander, and particles as small as 0.3 microns. The purified air will help to relieve asthma, hayfever ande other allergy symptoms
- 【Compact but Powerful】Taking up little footprint at desktop, office table in your bedroom, office, etc. Quickly breathe fresh air in a coverage area of 15 m²/ 161sq ft² in 30 mins after choosing the High Mode
- PACKAGE INCLUDED: One HEPA Filter come with a micro usb cable, wall charger not included.
- HEPA AIR PURIFIER FOR HOME: Filters 99.97% of dust, pollen, cigarette smoke, odors, mold spores, and pet dander. Filters particles as small as 0.3 microns and larger, and filters air pollution of PM 2.5 (pollution rate) to help improve overall health. Perfect for pet owners, babies, children, elderly, or for anyone wanting to improve air quality.
- PORTABLE AND COMPACT: Size: 12.5*12.5*20CM, Weight: 550 grams. It can cover area of about 10 square meter. Perfect solution for small areas and rooms such as studio, bedroom, office desktop, kitchen, pet room.
- EFFICIENT PURIFYING PERFORMANCE - With CADR value 120m³/h, TCL Breeva A1 air purifier is specially designed for space up to 161ft² (15m²). It filters air 4 times per hour at max speed in room up to 161ft² which means that it spends only 15 minutes activating clean air for you. IMPORTANT: Only use official TCL genuine replacement filters to maintain product performance (Search for: B08G84GV67). It’s recommended to replace your filter every 6-8 months depending on use and air quality.
- AIREVOLUTION TECHNOLOGY - Equipped with 3-in-1 Multifunctional Purifying Filter including Pre-filter, True HEPA H13 Filter and Activated Carbon Filter, efficiently captures 99.97% particles as small as 0.3㎛, allergens, pet hair, dander, smoke, pollen, filters airborne microbes, absorbs various harmful gases, such as fume, cigarette odour, pet odour, cooking smell. Excellent for people who suffer from asthma, allergies, nasal stuffiness, cough, sneezing, etc.
- 3 FAN SPEEDS & SLEEP MODE - 3 wind speeds and purifying intensity are adjustable to changing circumstances. Ultra-quiet sleep mode at only 20dB level helps you easily get rid of noise disturbing and returns you a sweet sleep. (Adjustable 3 Fan Speeds: I 26dB; II 39dB; III 48dB.)
- Intelligent purification – professional grade sensor automatically monitors, reacts & purifiers air
- High grade filters remove 99.5% of ultrafine particles (PM2.5), dust, pollen, allergens, gases, bacteria and viruses
- Quiet as a whisper - in sleep mode display lights are dimmed and purifier operates in near silence while you sleep
Last update on 2021-09-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API