How to Choose the Best Air Purifier for Your Home
How do you choose the best air purifier? What functions and features should the ideal air purifier have? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Indoor air pollutants are a source of concern especially for those of us who are more sensitive or allergic.
Certain studies conducted by environmental agents have revealed that in some situations the air quality inside a home is up to several times worse than outdoor air.
Table of Contents
Why Choose the Best Air Purifier?
The best air purifier can help you fight air pollutants with advanced filters that can keep dust, pollen and other known allergens out of your house.
An air purifier mounted in the bedroom or in the living room can filter the polluted air from the areas where you spend the most time with your loved ones. These devices are available in a wide range of models and offer varying levels of air filtration.
How to Choose the Best Air Purifier
The best home air purifiers efficiently remove harmful particles and work silently. The main criteria for evaluating the best air purifier are filtration efficiency, coverage area, noise level, safety of use, energy consumption, additional functions and manufacturer’s warranty.
Below we will detail the important aspects to help you choose the right air purifier for you.
Futuristic design and advanced features are welcome, but the most important aspect to consider in an air purifier is its ability to clean the air.
Choose an air purifier with a high flow rate that efficiently filters the cigarette smoke, dust and pollen from the air. Some devices will display the volume in cubic meters (m³) or in square meters (m²). In square meters, we assume that it refers to the size of the room calculated at a standard ceiling height of not more than 2.5 meters.
Generally, it’s good to choose an air purifier that has a bit bigger processing capacity than the room where you want to use it to get maximum efficiency.
Finally, you’ll have to compromise between a silent purifier and a more noisy but more powerful one. A silent appliance will not process a large amount of air, so you will need to choose the quietest air purifier for the amount of air you need to filter.
To evaluate this, you will need to look at the decibel level of similar filtering devices and choose the quietest. The higher the decibel level, the more noisy the air purifier will be during operation.
Safety and Certifications
Several independent certifications of the chosen purifier may indicate safety in operation. Some models are certified by ECARF (European Center for Allergy Research) or by other independent laboratories. In addition, check whether the chosen model is also certified for energy consumption by an authorized body.
Certain models of air purifiers can generate other harmful particles in the process of filtering common pollutants. The most common problem is the excessive generation of ozone particles that are not very beneficial in quantities above the permitted limits.
For those suffering from asthma and allergies, long exposure to ozone particles may damage health and may aggravate respiratory problems, causing chest pain, difficulty in breathing and respiratory irritation. The best air purifiers destroy ozone particles in the air, thus preventing unpleasantness.
Comfort in use is an important factor in choosing the best air purifier. Many devices use replaceable filters that are monitored to indicate when to change. In addition, look for a cleaner that has timer programming functions for stopping or starting.
This way you can program your device to operate for a limited time to prevent premature filter wear and to function optimally when you are away from home or during sleep. Many air purifiers are equipped with a remote control to ease their use, although not always necessary.
The best air purifiers use an air quality sensor that allows them to adjust the fan speed according to the particle density in the atmosphere.
This function is excellent because you will not have to adjust the speed manually. In addition, it allows you to program the device and automatically operate it.
Service and Warranty
Operating an air purifier should not be difficult, but it is good to get support from the manufacturer if something does not work properly. Choose a device made by a reputable company that offers you a maximum guarantee and service at your fingertips.
The best air purifier will keep your home clean and free from dust, odours and allergens, thus minimizing pollutants in the breathing air. This way you can be sure that the whole family will enjoy a safer atmosphere away from unwanted allergies and irritations.
Recommended Air Purifiers
Taking into account the above criteria, analysing the existing offer and buyers’ opinions, we present some recommendations for air purifiers that offer an exceptional quality / price ratio.
- 【HEPA Air Purifier for Home】Filters 99.97% of dust, pollen, cigarette smoke, odors, mold spores, and pet dander. Filters particles as small as 0.3 microns and larger, and filters air pollution of PM 2.5 (pollution rate) to help improve overall health.
- 【Air Ionizer Purifier】Negative ions bring high efficiency air filtraction, it also is good for emotion lifting, no ozone.
- 【Easy Operation】One-touch switch, Press button twice, it will automatically power off after 8hours. Advanced Materials, Eco-friendly design.Warm Blue LED night light when swich on. Come with a micro USB cable, wall charger not included.
- TRUE HEPA TECHNOLOGY: Filters 99.97% of dust, pollen, smoke, odors, mold spores, and pet dander. Filters particles as small as 0.3 microns and larger, and filters air pollution of PM 2.5 (pollution rate) to help improve overall health. Perfect for pet owners, babies, children, elderly, or for anyone wanting to improve air quality. The perfect gift for father, mother, office mates and friends
- 3 FILTRATION STAGES: Fine Preliminary, True HEPA and Activated Carbon filters reduce unwanted odors from pets, smoking and cooking dwelling around your living spaces
- CONVENIENT FEATURES: 3 speed settings: Low, Medium and High, suit various conditions; Nightlight function with 2 brightness settings; LED Indicator will light up when filter needs to be replaced
- Silentnight, the secret to a great night's sleep. The Air quality is so important in terms of the quality of our sleep and in today's active and demanding lifestyles even more so
- Classic White finish - means this item looks great in any room
- Triple Filter - PRE filter, HEPA filter and Activated CARBON filters: capture formaldehyde, pollen, dust, smoke, pet dander
- HIGH-QUALITY HEPA FILTER - Filters 99.97% of dust, pollen, cigarette smoke, odors, mold spores, and pet dander. Filters particles as small as 0.3 microns and larger, and filters air pollution of PM 2.5 (pollution rate) to help improve overall health. Perfect for pet owners, babies, children, elderly, or anyone wanting to improve air quality. The perfect gift for family and friends.
- SPECIAL ALLERGY MODE - 3 kinds speed setting (low medium and high) offer you various options and you can adjust the cleaning performance depending on the air quality. Intelligent programming increases the cleaning performance by 60%. The air filter for home with LED light and night mode, the noise is 28-51dB, air purifier silently sanitizes the air for easier breathing and more restful sleep.
- NEGATIVE ION & MEMORY FUNCTION - Negative Ion can not only promote the human body to synthesize and store vitamins, strengthen and activate the physiological activities of the human body, so it is also known as "air vitamins ". Toyuugo air purifiers will remember its programmed settings when turned off, this includes fan speed and anion. It will resume its settings when it is turned back on.
- HELP RELIEVE ALLERGIES - Removing 99.97% allergens, dust, pollen, smoke, pet dander, and other irritants, PARTU air purifier can reduce high indoor allergen concentrations and help circulate the air and simulate ventilation, which will make your life more pleasant.
- QUIETEST AIR PURIFIER - Tired of noisy at night? This is a chance to free you from noisy fans. This air purifier can help improve indoor air quality, without adding a lot of annoying noise to your peaceful environment. You can't even hear when it's running at speed 1.
- TRUE HEPA & ACTIVATED CARBON FILTER - HEPA filter is good for trapping particles as small as 0.3 microns and PM 2.5. Activated carbon filter excels in removing fumes, odors and gases. Please take out the plastic bag of HEPA filter inside the purifier before running it.
- GENUINE LEVOIT LV-H132 AIR PURIFIER FILTER: Use only genuine Levoit LV-H132 Replacement Filters to keep your Air Purifier at its best working condition and capacity. Note: please remove the plastic bag of the filter before running the air purifier. Failure to do so may cause damage to the unit
- THREE-STAGE FILTRATION SYSTEM: Fine Preliminary, True HEPA Filter and Activated Carbon Filter. It removes 99.97% of dust, pollen, smoke, odor, mold spores, and pet dander. It filters particles as small as 0.3 microns and larger. It also filters air pollution of PM 2.5
- PROTECT YOUR RESPIRATORY SYSTEM: Perfect for those who are sensitive to the surrounding air quality. It will not release hazardous substances or ozone
Last update on 2019-07-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API