How to Choose the Best Air Purifier for Your Home
How do you choose the best air purifier? What functions and features should the ideal air purifier have? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Indoor air pollutants are a source of concern especially for those of us who are more sensitive or allergic.
Certain studies conducted by environmental agents have revealed that in some situations the air quality inside a home is up to several times worse than outdoor air.
Table of Contents
Why Choose the Best Air Purifier?
The best air purifier can help you fight air pollutants with advanced filters that can keep dust, pollen and other known allergens out of your house.
An air purifier mounted in the bedroom or in the living room can filter the polluted air from the areas where you spend the most time with your loved ones. These devices are available in a wide range of models and offer varying levels of air filtration.
How to Choose the Best Air Purifier
The best home air purifiers efficiently remove harmful particles and work silently. The main criteria for evaluating the best air purifier are filtration efficiency, coverage area, noise level, safety of use, energy consumption, additional functions and manufacturer’s warranty.
Below we will detail the important aspects to help you choose the right air purifier for you.
Futuristic design and advanced features are welcome, but the most important aspect to consider in an air purifier is its ability to clean the air.
Choose an air purifier with a high flow rate that efficiently filters the cigarette smoke, dust and pollen from the air. Some devices will display the volume in cubic meters (m³) or in square meters (m²). In square meters, we assume that it refers to the size of the room calculated at a standard ceiling height of not more than 2.5 meters.
Generally, it’s good to choose an air purifier that has a bit bigger processing capacity than the room where you want to use it to get maximum efficiency.
Finally, you’ll have to compromise between a silent purifier and a more noisy but more powerful one. A silent appliance will not process a large amount of air, so you will need to choose the quietest air purifier for the amount of air you need to filter.
To evaluate this, you will need to look at the decibel level of similar filtering devices and choose the quietest. The higher the decibel level, the more noisy the air purifier will be during operation.
Safety and Certifications
Several independent certifications of the chosen purifier may indicate safety in operation.
Some models are certified by ECARF (European Center for Allergy Research) or by other independent laboratories. In addition, check whether the chosen model is also certified for energy consumption by an authorized body.
Certain models of air purifiers can generate other harmful particles in the process of filtering common pollutants.
The most common problem is the excessive generation of ozone particles that are not very beneficial in quantities above the permitted limits.
For those suffering from asthma and allergies, long exposure to ozone particles may damage health and may aggravate respiratory problems, causing chest pain, difficulty in breathing and respiratory irritation. The best air purifiers destroy ozone particles in the air, thus preventing unpleasantness.
Comfort in use is an important factor in choosing the best air purifier. Many devices use replaceable filters that are monitored to indicate when to change. In addition, look for a cleaner that has timer programming functions for stopping or starting.
This way you can program your device to operate for a limited time to prevent premature filter wear and to function optimally when you are away from home or during sleep. Many air purifiers are equipped with a remote control to ease their use, although not always necessary.
The best air purifiers use an air quality sensor that allows them to adjust the fan speed according to the particle density in the atmosphere.
This function is excellent because you will not have to adjust the speed manually. In addition, it allows you to program the device and automatically operate it.
Service and Warranty
Operating an air purifier should not be difficult, but it is good to get support from the manufacturer if something does not work properly. Choose a device made by a reputable company that offers you a maximum guarantee and service at your fingertips.
The best air purifier will keep your home clean and free from dust, odours and allergens, thus minimizing pollutants in the breathing air. This way you can be sure that the whole family will enjoy a safer atmosphere away from unwanted allergies and irritations.
Recommended Air Purifiers
Taking into account the above criteria, analysing the existing offer and buyers’ opinions, we present some recommendations for air purifiers that offer an exceptional quality / price ratio.
- 100% Ozone Free: The UVC Light and Anion that other brands adopt to purify air could produce a kind of air pollutant-Ozone, which is especially harmful for the children and asthma sufferers. Levoit air purifiers never use these for 100% Ozone free
- Advanced 3-Stage Filtration System: The Pre-Filter, True HEPA Filter, and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter capture allergens, pet hair, dander, smoke, odour and large dust particles, in addition to removing airborne contaminants as small as 0.3 microns
- Ultra-Silent Operation: Filters the air with the lowest noise level as quiet as 25dB for a restful and soothing indoor environment, helping you sleep deeply. All settings can be made via the Levoit’s air purifier's elegant touch panel control panel. Effective Range: 129 ft2 / 12 m2
- 【2 Functions in 1】 As an upgraded version of LV-H13EU. LV-H128 not only an air purifier but also an aroma diffuser. When you want to use the aromatherapy function, add 2-3 drops of your favourite essential oils (Not Included) to the aroma pad under the cover. Then the air cleaner will diffuse the clean air and fresh fragrances into the room
- 【Dual Filter Design】 The LV-H128 H13 HEPA Air Purifier contains dual filters. Both filters consist of pre-filter, H13 HEPA filter and activated carbon filter. Help to bring you more fresh air than traditional ones
- 【Effectively Purify the Air】 H13 HEPA filter can effectively clean at least 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size, like smoke, odours, pollen and dust mites etc to help relieve asthma, allergy symptoms
- Removes 99.97% of Particles: Consists of H13 HEPA filter, activated carbon filter and nylon pre-filter. The improved 3 in 1 filter system removes 99.97% of pollen, dust, allergy particles. Help to release allergy, asthma, COPD symptom
- Larger Effective Purification: This air purifier CADR is 170 m³/h, cleaning your air 2 times per hour in room up to 35 m². With Vortexair Technology, compact frame and 360°design, our air filter rapidly purify the air in your bedroom, living room and office
- Alexa & APP Timer Control: The first time you can set 0-24h timer and choose 3 speeds by your voice or smart phone. You can also set a Schedule, control Fan Speeds, Baby Lock, Sleep Mode. Lying in your bed, having an easier control by VeSync APP, breathe a fresher air
- Air Quality Feedback: Intelligent Airsight Plus Sensor detects PM2.5 in the air and gives feedback by colour rings. Automatically selects the purification mode according to the air quality. Gets reliefs from smart home life
- Relieves Allergy Symptoms: Powered by HEPASmart Technology and ARC Formula carbon filter, This air cleaner can effectively filter out 99.97% of harmful air pollutants, reducing pollen, dust allergies and room odours
- Practical Coverage: This air filter can fresh air in 12 minutes with our patented VortexAir Technology and 360° air intake. Refresh the air 2x per hour in rooms up to 40㎡
- 4 CUSTOMIZED REPLACEMENT FILTERS: Depending on different individuals' needs, we provide four types of filters for purchase: original filter, pet allergy filter, toxin absorber filter, mould & bacteria filter for choose. Note: One original filter is pre-installed in the machine
- Vortexair PURIFY TECHNOLOGY: CADR rating 187m³/h allows it to cover up to 40 m², Using the Core 300 to fill your environment with clean air. Notes: AC 220-240V/50HZ with UK 3-Pin Plug. It's NOT a wireless product and CAN'T be connected via USB
- FILTER 99.97% OF PARTICLES: Working with ultra-fine Prefilter and activated carbon filter, Our H13 HEPA filter traps 99.97% allergens like dust, pollen, mould spores, pet hair, and reduces unwanted odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes
- HEPA FILTER: The Silentnight Air Purifier removes 99% of airborne allergens as small as 0.3 microns including pollen, dust, pet dander, odours and smoke. Great gift for anyone who could do with help getting a great night's sleep and improve air quality
- THREE SPEED SETTINGS: For optimum air filtration, run your air purifier continuously on the highest setting. Its robust motor has been designed to give many years of use. For quieter operation (such as while you are sleeping) select the sleep mode
- TIMER: The timer allows you to run your air purifier at your convenience, for up to 8 hours. With four settings including 1H, 2H, 4H and 8H
Last update on 2022-01-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API