How to Choose the Best Air Purifier for Your Home
How do you choose the best air purifier? What functions and features should the ideal air purifier have? Read our guide and make an informed choice.
Indoor air pollutants are a source of concern especially for those of us who are more sensitive or allergic.
Certain studies conducted by environmental agents have revealed that in some situations the air quality inside a home is up to several times worse than outdoor air.
Table of Contents
Why Choose the Best Air Purifier?
The best air purifier can help you fight air pollutants with advanced filters that can keep dust, pollen and other known allergens out of your house.
An air purifier mounted in the bedroom or in the living room can filter the polluted air from the areas where you spend the most time with your loved ones. These devices are available in a wide range of models and offer varying levels of air filtration.
How to Choose the Best Air Purifier
The best home air purifiers efficiently remove harmful particles and work silently. The main criteria for evaluating the best air purifier are filtration efficiency, coverage area, noise level, safety of use, energy consumption, additional functions and manufacturer’s warranty.
Below we will detail the important aspects to help you choose the right air purifier for you.
Futuristic design and advanced features are welcome, but the most important aspect to consider in an air purifier is its ability to clean the air.
Choose an air purifier with a high flow rate that efficiently filters the cigarette smoke, dust and pollen from the air. Some devices will display the volume in cubic meters (m³) or in square meters (m²). In square meters, we assume that it refers to the size of the room calculated at a standard ceiling height of not more than 2.5 meters.
Generally, it’s good to choose an air purifier that has a bit bigger processing capacity than the room where you want to use it to get maximum efficiency.
Finally, you’ll have to compromise between a silent purifier and a more noisy but more powerful one. A silent appliance will not process a large amount of air, so you will need to choose the quietest air purifier for the amount of air you need to filter.
To evaluate this, you will need to look at the decibel level of similar filtering devices and choose the quietest. The higher the decibel level, the more noisy the air purifier will be during operation.
Safety and Certifications
Several independent certifications of the chosen purifier may indicate safety in operation.
Some models are certified by ECARF (European Center for Allergy Research) or by other independent laboratories. In addition, check whether the chosen model is also certified for energy consumption by an authorized body.
Certain models of air purifiers can generate other harmful particles in the process of filtering common pollutants.
The most common problem is the excessive generation of ozone particles that are not very beneficial in quantities above the permitted limits.
For those suffering from asthma and allergies, long exposure to ozone particles may damage health and may aggravate respiratory problems, causing chest pain, difficulty in breathing and respiratory irritation. The best air purifiers destroy ozone particles in the air, thus preventing unpleasantness.
Comfort in use is an important factor in choosing the best air purifier. Many devices use replaceable filters that are monitored to indicate when to change. In addition, look for a cleaner that has timer programming functions for stopping or starting.
This way you can program your device to operate for a limited time to prevent premature filter wear and to function optimally when you are away from home or during sleep. Many air purifiers are equipped with a remote control to ease their use, although not always necessary.
The best air purifiers use an air quality sensor that allows them to adjust the fan speed according to the particle density in the atmosphere.
This function is excellent because you will not have to adjust the speed manually. In addition, it allows you to program the device and automatically operate it.
Service and Warranty
Operating an air purifier should not be difficult, but it is good to get support from the manufacturer if something does not work properly. Choose a device made by a reputable company that offers you a maximum guarantee and service at your fingertips.
The best air purifier will keep your home clean and free from dust, odours and allergens, thus minimizing pollutants in the breathing air. This way you can be sure that the whole family will enjoy a safer atmosphere away from unwanted allergies and irritations.
Recommended Air Purifiers
Taking into account the above criteria, analysing the existing offer and buyers’ opinions, we present some recommendations for air purifiers that offer an exceptional quality / price ratio.
- 100% Ozone Free: The UVC Light and Anion that other brands adopt to purify air could produce a kind of air pollutant-Ozone, which is especially harmful for the children and asthma sufferers. Levoit air purifiers never use these for 100% Ozone free
- Advanced 3-Stage Filtration System: The Pre-Filter, True HEPA Filter, and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter capture allergens, pet hair, dander, smoke, odour and large dust particles, in addition to removing airborne contaminants as small as 0.3 microns
- Ultra-Silent Operation: Filters the air with the lowest noise level as quiet as 25dB for a restful and soothing indoor environment, helping you sleep deeply. All settings can be made via the Levoit’s air purifier's elegant touch panel control panel
- HEPA Air Purifier for Home Filters 99.97% of dust, pollen, cigarette smoke, odours, mould spores, and pet dander. Filters particles as small as 0.3 microns and larger, and filters air pollution of PM 2.5 (pollution rate) to help improve overall health.
- Air Ionizer Purifier Negative ions bring high efficiency air filtration, it also is good for emotion lifting, no ozone.
- Easy Operation One-touch switch, Press button twice, it will automatically power off after 8hours. Advanced Materials. Warm Blue LED night light when switch on. Come with a micro USB cable, wall charger not included.
- 🍃3-Stage Filtration: Pre-Filter🍃:True HEPA Filter, and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter work seamlessly together to eliminate 99.97% of airborne bacteria, dust mites, mold spores, allergens, odors, pet dander, smoke, cooking and VOCs (volatile organic compounds)
- 🍃Ultra-Silent & One-touch switch🍃: Filters the air with the lowest noise level as quiet as 30dB for a restful and soothing indoor environment, helping you sleep deeply. All settings can be made via one-touch switch easy Operation,gentle night light features 2 brightness levels to promote a perfect night of sleep. Button light can disappear if you are sensitive to light
- 🍃UPDATE AROMATHERAPY FUNCTION🍃:The bottom is designed with aromatherapy cup, equipped with 4 aroma cotton, can add essential oil, purify the air while aromatherapy, unique detachable design structure, easy to change aroma cotton and drip essential oil and replace the filter, ❤Recommended change the filter after 3-6 months , adjust the usage time according to the pollution level of the environment.❤
- 【 DEEP CLEAN AIR 】H13 class HEPA filters remove at least 99.97% of 0.3µm airborne particles. Carbon filters absorbs particles, like pollen, dust, pet dander, and even tobacco smoke, also absorbs odors well.
- 【 HIGH PURIFICATION EFFICIENTLY 】CADR 102+ m3/h, that is, purify a 160~270 sq.ft room 4 to 5 times per hour.
- 【 SILENT NIGHT & FRESH DAY 】This air purifier with sleep mode operates quietly, down to 30dB, with the light off. Touch buttons to adjust speed and set timer to clean the whole room.
- 【Upgraded Silent and powerful Design】360°Purification Performance makes the air circulates faster, enhancing the air clearing efficiency. Upgraded Low noise version air purifier to make sure you enjoy a high quality sleeping.
- 【High Quality HEPA Filter】Complete Air Purification. HEPA filter, removing 99.97% of PM2.5, Formaldehyde, bacteria, pollen, smoke, mold spores, dust, odors and pet dander. Purifies the air and improves your health.
- 【Compact but Powerful】It’s small size and modern design make it easy to fit in any small areas or rooms, yet powerful enough to deliver cleaned air 51-150m³/h. No ozone and UV-C light; Noise Level: ≤30dB. Ideal for people who suffer from allergies, nasal stuffiness, cough, sneezing, asthma, etc.
- BACTERIA AND VIRUS KILLING UV-C: HoMedics HEPA filter air purifiers help you breathe easier by removing up to 99% of airborne contaminants. Our models have an enhanced bacteria and virus killing UV-C feature – perfect for eliminating airborne germs and helping to protect you and your family
- BREATHE EASY - A 360° HEPA-Type filtration system removes up to 99.0% of airborne allergens as small as 0.3 microns. It also captures and removes pollen, dust, smoke, pet dander, mold spores and germs. UV-C light helps to kill germs, bacteria and viruses
- PERFECT FOR ALLERGY SUFFERERS - When your home is suffering from poor indoor air quality, you might not notice until allergy symptoms set in. Allergens in your household can also cause those suffering from asthma and other respiratory issues to experience shortness of breath. Once you have pinpointed which room is triggering these symptoms, you know that this is the best place to position your air purifier for the first use.
Last update on 2020-06-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API